Switched to a new gym

Options
wkile76
wkile76 Posts: 33 Member
Ok, I'm trying to get some insight from other folks here. I have been a member at my current gym for about a year now, and I've been pretty happy with it. It's clean, small, never that busy, and open 24 hours. But as of Jan 1st, my health insurance included a membership at another local gym. Now keep in mind that this isn't really "Free" because my premiums went up too...LOL. The "free" membership is at a gym owned by one of the local hospitals here in town. It's a much bigger gym, and has a pool, plus my daughter gets a 'free' membership too.

Anyway, back to my point. I've made good progress at my 'old' gym, and still have a membership there until August, but I've started using the new gym a little more. I"m not sure how much I like it, as it's a lot more busy. Now I will say there is more eye candy there, so that makes my cardio days go by faster...LOL. But my biggest issue, is that a lot of the machines that I used at the old gym, I was able to use more weight. In some cases at the new gym, the amount of weight is down by up to 30lbs. So I'm lifting less weight. Is this a common thing between gyms? I would thing that 50lbs is 50lbs with the machines. Anyone experience something similar? Does this mean the machines at the new gym are better or worse? I'm confused.

Wayne

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    That does seem a little odd. Though I can say something similar happened when I switched gyms. The assisted pull up machine settings changed significantly for me, and it's not as if there's much variation in assisted pull up machines; either I'm offsetting my weight by the stated amount or I'm not. But the new gym has me offsetting my weight by much more than the old gym for the same performance on my part.

That said, the same machine could be calibrated differently, I suppose. Off the top of my head, I don't know how you'd go about making a determination about which one is more accurate.

I think the important question is, does it matter in particular? You'll have to take some time to create a new baseline for yourself in terms of what you can manage, but at that point you'll be able to progress as you would with the other machines.

You could always use free weights as well, if they're available.
  • wkile76
    wkile76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, and you're right, it doesn't really matter I guess. Was just curious to see if others had a similar experience. I'll just keep chugging along and building up from where I am :)

Thank you again.
  • Xanthyen
    Options
    Hi, great question as I asked the same thing to my personal trainer not too long ago. I travel and when I am in a gym other than my normal I noticed the same thing. First all machines are not created equal, even if it's the same muscle group you're working on. Depending on how the machine is made will play a big factor in how much weight you're able to lift.

Also, how well the machine is maintained also is a factor. Since they all have movable parts which can create excess drag or lift the countering weight will also be impacted.

He said that the bigger thing to keep in mind is how hard you're working, if one machine has you work at 100lbs but a second machine has you working just as hard at 50lbs, then you're still putting in the same work. This only applies to machines, free weights (unless they're shaved) should be the same regardless of gym.
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I swap between three gyms, since I am employed by one, have one at my school, and then have a membership at a third (the third gym has all the toys and equipment I need for training, while the other two fall short) I use free weights for most of my training, but I have found a lot of variance among the leg press machines that I do use. With machines, i think it is best to go with the idea of Rating of Perceived Exertion, and aim for something that would rank as a 6-8 out of 10, so you are working hard, but not murdering yourself.