An Introduction

Options
Hello Sleevers,
My name is Rachel and I'm new to MyFitnessPal. I'm also new to my home city, so I've got very few sources of support. I had my first supervised weight loss session (1 out of 6), and am starting this journey. My surgery will not be until summer (insurance requirements). I would love to have similar-minded folks as friends. I'm looking for information, inspiration and support. Hope all are well! Best wishes, Rachel

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the decision and beginning the process to get healthy! I had to do 6 months of supervised weight loss as well. If I'd lost much, I wouldn't have qualified for the surgery so that part was kind of unhelpful for me. The insurance hoops can be daunting, but all I can tell you it is soooooo worth it! At 3 months out, I'm no longer obese, (merely overweight now), off all 10 pre-op prescription meds and look\feel like a million bucks! I have 30ish lbs to go and it's coming off at about 1.5 lbs -2 lbs per week now which is okay. Use your pre-op time to get as educated as you can and improve your health as much as possible. The hoops are sooooo worth it!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I was sleeved 11/20/13. I have lost 48 lbs. My best advice is measure , weigh and log your foods. This will help you get a handle on calories and portions. Work on your Kryptonite foods. Anyone can out eat WLS surgery and 50% do. You will need to let go of the problem foods. If you feel panic at the thought of letting go of certain foods and never eating them again you need to work on this. This tool is a wonderful gift and it has changed my life but it is only a tool. Myfitness pal is invaluable in helping you track your new lifestyle. Your process will go faster than you think. Go to as many post op support groups as you can. During my 6 months I met my mentors who were both well over 300# before WLS. Those people are filled with real knowledge and wisdom. Good luck and God bless!
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi Rachel! Feel free to add me as a friend. I was sleeved in March 2012. I lost 30 lbs prior to surgery by using MyFitnessPal. A cousin of mine referred me to this website and have found it really helpful. It was really hard in the beginning to get used to eating within a certain calorie limit, but after a while it was just something I told myself that I just had to do in order to meet the surgery requirements. I'm happy to share my experience and answer any questions you might have. I wish you well on your way to a more healthier you!
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am 9 months post op. I don't claim to know everything, make plenty of mistakes but have found so much support here at MFP. Please friend me, I'd love to be on this journey with you.
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi Rachel! I will send you a friend request. I would love to have more friends who are having the surgery.:happy: I am 4 days post op and doing great!