New to MFP! 28 Days Until Surgery

Options
Hello!
I just joined MFP today! I have 28 days until surgery and I am really nervous! I really need help setting goals and getting my body ready for the changes its going to be going through! I'm currently 5' 4'' tall and weigh 250 lbs. Any advice on how weight loss goals? I don't want to set something unrealistic or something I can too easily surpass. Also, what advice can you give for things I should stock up on? Any advice helps!

Thanks,
Candice

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    The best advice I was given was don't stock up at all. Your tastes will likely change after surgery. A high quality protein shake, chicken broth and carb master yogurt is about all you will need. I got some canned chicken only to find at two months out I still can't eat it. Chicken, unless it is ground, mats and gets stuck evey time. My favorite Unjury strawberry sorbet shake I loved is now waay too sweet. I am 5'5" and was 253. I am now 205. My initial wt loss goal is 180. But I am really settling in to my new life with no ground grains. I have no plans to ever eat my Kryptonite foods again. Feel free to friend me, my food diary is open. Surgery is a tool but you have to make it work. And make no mistake- it is work. You have to plan your meals. You can't eat whatever, whenever. You have to take your vitamins and 64 oz of fluid a day. You have to stick to 650-850 calories a day for steady wet loss. You have to hit your protein goals -and that is work, to keep your hair from falling out an generally feeling like crap. It has been the greatest gift for me. I have been obese since 2nd grade and had no concept of what it was like to not be hungry. I have to remind myself now to stop and eat. I know the hunger will return in 6-8 months but I am working hard to cement my new normal into place. Log your foods and look at other sleeves diaries. It really helps and gives you ideas for your own meals. Good luck

• wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is the beginning of your new life. I had some yogurt and plenty of water and low calorie juice at home along with protein drinks. Your NUT should give you an idea of what you need, but, it will be miminal. I started quite a bit heavier than you and am still 55 lbs from goal. My surgeon didn't encourage me to set a goal weight, but, I did so with my PCP. Maybe yours could help you as well? It's never been about a number or a size for me, I just want to feel better. I know you're going to do great too. :-)
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just had my sleeve done last Thursday.Do you have to do a pre op diet? My advice would be to find a protein shake that you like and get a few, but I agree not to stock up because tastes do change. Some protein drinks I like are isopure, syntrax nectar, and muscle milk. I've also heard good things about unjury but haven't tried it yet. Just a hint- buying powder is so much cheaper than buying ready to drink shakes. Besides that, I would recommend sugar free popsicles and sugar free jello for the clear liquid stage. Good luck!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
    Find a liquid protein supplement or 2 you can tolerate. You'll likely have a pre-op liver shrink diet that you'll need them for, but as others have said, don't "stock up" as your tastes may change. Mine did. Have some water with electrolytes, like G2 around for after surgery, (again, not a ton as it may not be your fav afterwards. All I wanted was plain old H2O, but the G2 helped me feel better faster). If you're having trouble getting liquids down, adding the electrolytes can help you feel better.

Find out what supplement regimen your surgeon will want you on post-op. You can purchase supplements ahead of time and will want chewables, liquid or the smallest "pill" form available as swallowing large pills may be a challenge for some time.

I'm kind of up in the air about setting a "goal". My surgeon and I have not really discussed it, but I've got 140 in mind, (I'm 5'6"), that's 10 lbs into "healthy BMI territory" for me. I will re-evaluate when I get there whether I need to go down to 130 or not, (still well within the healthy range for my height). I'm already starting to wonder, as I'm already in a solid 8 at 169 lbs. I can't quite wrap my head around what size I'd be at 130 lbs.

Check out http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ for protein shake and puree ideas early on and high protein low carb recipes later. It's a great resource.