Hello *taps* anyone there? Newbie here ;)

Options
RadScorp
RadScorp Posts: 41 Member
Howdy! :flowerforyou:

I know there haven't been many posts on here and it's kind of a ghost town haha, but hopefully some of you are still about! I've just completed Week 1 day 2 of the Z25K app, and I'm enjoying it so far. I did the workout with someone else today and our apps weren't completely in sync, so we ended up running the intervals twice within 5 seconds of each other. It was good though. 15s feels like no time at all and it was cold out, so we actually wanted to run more. I know once the app progresses I won't be so hungry to overachieve ;)

The freeform was.. difficult. Of course you want to run the whole 10 minutes, but I think we managed a little under 3 minutes before we had a short break. I think we ran 6-7 of the 10 minutes (broken up obviously to like, 3,2,2) or something along those lines with walking in between. Not too bad, but I can't wait until I can run the entire freeform! >_<

If anyone is still here: how do you track your workouts on here? I'm kind of just recording it as circuit training while I don't have a heart rate strap.

Also where are you in the programme? Any graduates? Anyone still here... anyone at all? :wink:

Replies

• Vaugirard15
    Vaugirard15 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi, Nuka! Yes, this group tends to be pretty quiet but the Facebook page for Zombies, Run! stays fairly active.

You are doing much better than I did! I don't think I ran any of the free forms until about week 6 (and it probably took me about 10 weeks to get to week 6 because I kept repeating weeks/workouts). But, then, I'm in my 50s and hadn't run in over 30 years so that probably made a difference, too! :-) I finished the training app in December and just finished Season 1 a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to start Season 2 tomorrow (I finished up the Radio Mode of Season 1 first). The training app was just terrific! I did everything it told me too-- the crazy knee lifts, the skipping, etc. And though I huffed and puffed, it was so exciting when I ran the full distance! Now I run about 45 minutes three days a week -- well, walk and run. Just signed up for an official 5K at the end of April and am very excited about it.

You're going to do great, Runner 5! Stay safe out there… and enjoy!
  • RadScorp
    Options
    That's awesome, thanks for sharing! It's really inspiring to see stories from fellow veterans of the program. Haha you've also just answered my next question about whether you did the additional exercises or not :P I guess I'll just suck it up and look like a bit of a weirdo squatting down the road xD. Did you find that the additional exercises helped or hindered at all? It's quite interesting to see the difference between this and traditional 5k apps. I think I prefer it though.

Also yay for signing up for a 5k! 45 minutes 3 times a week sounds pretty intense haha. I can't wait to get to the point where I'm even running 15 minutes haha. It seems like a long way off at the moment :P but your story is inspiring

Do you have the link to the Facebook group? Is there a separate 5k group or is it just the official Zombies run one? Thanks for replying btw :)
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    The Facebook Group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/205649742946802/ It's also posted in the MFP Zombies, Run! group (which is different from the Zombies, Run! 5K training group). I was afraid it would be lots of really good runners in there, but it's a nice mix of newbies and veteran runners. Everyone is very encouraging.

For me, I think those extra exercises made a difference. It did feel a little weird sometimes doing the skipping or the strange knee high prancing but I looked up the people that helped SixtoStart design the training app and they definitely know their business. (They have their own app/training program that is far more expensive, too!). Besides having a really good pair of running shoes, I think doing the exercises has helped me to avoid a lot of the problems people complain about in terms of shin splints, etc.

Keep me posted on your training! (I cheat and make my own MFP announcements re: my Zombies runs ;-).)
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I just finished up week 1 and am starting week 2 tonight! I really really like it!

Two years ago I worked through c25k and then let myself stop running. (SO DUMB!) So, I'm pretty much starting over from scratch. I wanted something a bit different from c25k and I'm so excited about this!
  • RadScorp
    Options
    @Darkling: Yayy! Awesome! I'd love to follow your progress :D

It's kind of a similar story with me - I managed to drop a lot of weight, got proper into running etc... Got injured, got lazy.. Stopped running, starting over. But I'm excited to get back into the swing of things and I'm liking this app so far :) hope you don't mind if I add you ^_^

@ Vau: Thank-you for the link, I'll definitely check that out later, and I'll probably post updates in this group/thread for accountability purposes haha. ^^

Also my zombie link name is MirelurkQueen :)
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Just sent you a ZR friend request… name is Aubepine12.

Welcome, darkling_glor, to the world of Zombies!

I just started Season 2 today. Man, there were a lot of zombies moaning and groaning today! :-)

Stay safe out there, runners 5!
  • RadScorp
    Options
    Ooh I'm so excited to go onto the main app - I know the story is supposed to be really amazing! I did really liked the story today. The voice acting is excellent. I like how they tell you to 'look in the long grass' or whatever so you can look around at your surroundings and kind of add it into your imagination heh. It's cute.

So day 3 of week one is done! I feel really good about today. I managed to run nearly 5 minutes of the freeform run, nearly! But my heart rate was through the roof, like my maximum heart rate according to my watch was 180bpm, yikes! But I'm still running with someone else, and he's really into it so I'm going to repeat day 3 again before progressing onto week 2 so our apps are actually in sync! I mean running the 15s twice is okay, but I can imagine having to repeat intervals later on is going to be a massive pain in the backside xD

Great job on your run Vau, you're an inspiration to all of us rookie runner 5s :D
  • darkling_glory
    Options
    I really like the voice acting as well! It's very fun!

I did week 2 day 1 yesterday. I'm running on a treadmill right now since this morning it was only 4 degrees here. It was funny to pause the threadmill in the middle of the gym to do my heel lifts. But probably the only guy who noticed was the one directly next to me.

I signed up for Zombie link. I have the same name there as here "darkling_glory" if anyone wants to be my friend. Although, since I'm on a treadmill and using my pedometer on my phone the app thinks I've run a lot further than I have. NO - I did not go 5 miles yesterday! LOL
  • RadScorp
    Options
    Yay, congrats on completing the first of week 2! Ouch 4 degrees is no joke, but extra kudos for doing it on the treadmill. I don't know what it is, but when I have a kind of mental block when I'm running on the treadmill and find it that much harder (I've just added you on zombielink btw ^_^ )

Haha yeah I'm kind of dreading the 'extracurricular' exercises xD I guess the heel lifts aren't so bad because people may think you're just stretching, but I'm really not looking forward to squatting down the road ahaha.
  • darkling_glory
    Options
    I added you both!

Just finished w2d2!
  • RadScorp
    Options
    Nice one! Just finished Week 1 day 3 again! It's been storming pretty badly down here so the only time we got a chance to run was midnight. It was nice though :)

Looking forward to starting week 2 ^_^
  • darkling_glory
    Options
    Week 2 is DONE! Woo! I'll start week 3 on Monday!
  • RadScorp
    Options
    Yay! Nicely done! Let us know how you get on!

I did my first workout of week 2 yesterday and I found it a lot tougher than week one - I could only run the freeform runs maybe 2-3 minutes at a time. I definitely didn't have the endurance I did on week one :P. But hopefully after my two days off my endurance will be a little better! I'm enjoying the story a lot more :P the voice acting is hilarious. Particularly the scottish dude heh.

I felt like a bit of a dork doing the heel lifts haha, but it was dark so nobody was about thankfully xD

Good luck with week 3!
  • darkling_glory
    Options
    Okay, well week 3 day 1 kicked my butt!

It started off poorly because I forgot my headphones. So I had to hold my phone in my hand to listen for the cues. Then I accidentally aborted my mission about 4 minutes in and had to restart! Blah.

I was okay through the first free-form run (5 minutes!) but the run/walk drills with the knee lifts nearly killed me. I barely made it through the last two 8 free-form runs. I'm pretty sure I only ran about 2 minutes of them total!

But I will persevere and do it again on Wednesday! Gotta stay ahead of those zoms!
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    I remember those knee lifts. They were killers-- but I figured if they were that hard then they must be good for me! :-) You are both doing great!
  • darkling_glory
    Options
    w3d2 was much better - though still tough!

I made it through my first 5 minute free-form having run most of it. The walk/run drills were not so difficult this time around and I found myself running some of the first 8 minute free form run.

I did enjoy the 2 minute opportunity to stretch out before the next 8 minute run. For that I proceeded to walk 1 min/run 1 min using the timer on my treadmill.

I felt great at the end. Very strong.

Got 2.6 miles in during that effort.
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    You're doing great, darkling! That must have been a great boost to your confidence to feel so strong.

I could never figure out exactly what to do during those stretches so I mostly touched my toes, pulled heel up to derriere then just walked!

I just signed up for a 5K training class for the official run that takes place at the end of April. Was really nervous to do that (not sure why but this is all so new to me). So the trainer sent our "homework" before the first meeting next Wednesday: it's the Cool Runnings C25K app. So I guess I'll do my Zombies missions then follow them up with the C25K! :-)
  • Geckoqueen
    Geckoqueen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Regarding tracking, I have Pedometer Pro which syncs directly with My Fitness Pal. I use it most of the time for my walking calories but it also works just as well for working out the distance, speed and calories of runs.

Friends have also recommended Map My Run which (I believe) also syncs here. I haven't used it myself so don't know much more.

Hope this helps.
  • RadScorp
    Options
    Hey! I feel bad for abandoning this thread, but I've had a lot of health issues and *blahblah* important thing is I'm back and pounding the streets again :P. Just finished the first day of week 3 and feeling good about it. How is everyone else doing?
  • kashaas
    kashaas Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing week 3 here. Had to start over due to a car accident that dislocated my toe. I'm still having a little tightness in that toe but I'm working through it! I absolutely love this app. I've tried other c25k apps before and never finished em. I am running a race on June 7... Well, here's to finishing.... I'm gonna do this!!!