Hoke One One Running Shoes

If any of you are interested, I've been running with my new Hoka One One Bondi 3 shoes. All I can say is I wish I had these years ago. Maximalist shoes are simply amazing and my body is thanking me. I know there has been people big on the minimalist shoes for quite some time now, but I just don't agree with it. Any one else try out the Hoka shoes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMMQKolUShQ

Replies

• beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    they weigh almost half again more than my Ghost6s, which aren't light shoes to begin with. Don't they feel like you're running with concrete blocks on your feet?!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Last year they came out to one of our group runs with lots of shoes for us to try. I tried the Bondi's and really liked the feel. It was a little strange at first but after 3 miles I got used to them. Like running on clouds and they are much lighter than they look. The Bondi's are 10.8 oz and the Ghost6 is 10.7 oz.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    I know they aren't Hokas but I got a pair of the Brooks Trancend (Brooks' version of the Hoka One One shoes) and I like them so far. I was curious if a more cushioned shoe would be better for my knee than the Ghost 6s I was running in. I haven't felt much difference in my knee but my feet love these shoes!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I train in my Hokas and race in Brooks PureConnects. Love my Hokas.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Three steps in them and my torn meniscus AND my PF were screaming. This is not the shoe for me.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    I know they aren't Hokas but I got a pair of the Brooks Trancend (Brooks' version of the Hoka One One shoes) and I like them so far. I was curious if a more cushioned shoe would be better for my knee than the Ghost 6s I was running in. I haven't felt much difference in my knee but my feet love these shoes!
    Bit OT but It would be great to get your thoughts on the Transcend, I use Ghost 6's and am looking to try the transcend but they haven't launched in the UK yet.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Bit OT but It would be great to get your thoughts on the Transcend, I use Ghost 6's and am looking to try the transcend but they haven't launched in the UK yet.

So far I have only put 25 miles on them since they are brand new. The fit is very close to the Ghost and I expected them to feel a lot heavier but they don't. They passed one of my first tests, they didn't create any blisters on the first couple of runs. ( When I tried the Asics GEL-CUMULUS shoes last year, I thought they were trying to eat the flesh off my feet)

The main difference that I see so far is they have more a lot more mid-foot padding/support and a little more heal padding/support. They feel more stable. The sole is slightly wider and I think taller than the Ghost. I am NOT a food dragger but when I went for my first run in them I was dragging the soles here and there. So it forced me to get my feet up a little more.

Like I said above, I bought them to see if they would help with my knee. I haven't seen a difference (better or worse) in how my knees feel but my feel do feel more supported.

I will see how they settle in but so far they feel like they are going to work out for me.

Hope this helps.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    I use my Hoka Stinson Tarmacs for hilly long runs and races (20-plus miles). Even though they are technically a road shoe I find they perform very well on trails!

For shorter and flatter runs I feel like the mushiness of the Hokas means I have to put out too much effort to run. But I do like them for the hills -- especially downhills late in the run. Definitely a quad-saver!
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    I recently got a pair as a gift. I wear them on my Sunday recovery runs (10 miles usually). Believe it or not, I can't really tell a difference between them and my usually Saucony guide road shoes! I also have a pair of trail Hokas, but haven't given them a shot yet. Too antsy about trying out something new on my loooong trail runs.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    I haven't been the biggest fan of my Brooks Cascadia's (despite LOVING all my Brooks road shoes), so I'm looking for a new trail shoe. Will definitely have to check the Hoka's out the next time I make it into a running store, as I keep hearing about them!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    I use the Stinson Tarmacs for the road and love them. Just hands down the best road shoe I've ever used. I use the Stinson Evos for the trail. The Bondi doesn't fit my foot well at all. I haven't tried any of their newer models yet. The Evos I like as long as the conditions are dry. If it's wet and muddy they SUCK, absolutely terrible. They don't shed mud well at all and turn into skis that weigh like concrete blocks.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    I've been running in the Stinson Tarmac's since last fall and absolutely love them for the road! My wife and brother both wear the Bondi's and swear by them. They were an odd feel at first but after a few miles that passed and my feet have never been happier. I don't recommend them for icy conditions.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I'm on my third pair of Bondi 2s (have a pair of 3 I'll break in soon). I switched after literally 20,000 mile in Brooks Adrenaline GTS 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 , 9, 10, 11, 12.

It wasn't love at first step, but now I like them.

Like with all things running, we're each an experiment with a sample size of one. That said, I'm glad I gave them try.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member

So far I have only put 25 miles on them since they are brand new. The fit is very close to the Ghost and I expected them to feel a lot heavier but they don't. They passed one of my first tests, they didn't create any blisters on the first couple of runs. ( When I tried the Asics GEL-CUMULUS shoes last year, I thought they were trying to eat the flesh off my feet)

The main difference that I see so far is they have more a lot more mid-foot padding/support and a little more heal padding/support. They feel more stable. The sole is slightly wider and I think taller than the Ghost. I am NOT a food dragger but when I went for my first run in them I was dragging the soles here and there. So it forced me to get my feet up a little more.

Like I said above, I bought them to see if they would help with my knee. I haven't seen a difference (better or worse) in how my knees feel but my feel do feel more supported.

I will see how they settle in but so far they feel like they are going to work out for me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, appreciate your insight. I'm in the US soon so will try a pair on and see how they feel!
  • I love discussing running shoes and everyone here has made valid points! It's great to know that there are others who embrace the cushion! =)
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    I love my Hoka's! Happy Feet!!!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Best shoes ever. I don't run on the road, but the Stinson Tarmacs are fine for trails, though on more technical trails I prefer the Stinson Trails. I even took a pair of Tarmacs (they're quite smooth) and outfitted them with Goat Head Sole Spikes (sheet metal screws on steroids) for an AWESOME snow/ice shoe. I do agree that for a short speed-based run they might not be your best friend (the softness provides less energy return) but for running long and staying happy, Hokas are my best friend. BTW zappos is having a sale on many of the women's Hoka models right now, including both the Stinson Trail and Tarmac, as well as the Kailua Trail and Tarmac, which have a lower profile. As for the Bondi and Mafate, I have a fairly wide foot, and both models still felt sloppy.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    I'm a bigger runner and the shoe that I found that works best for me is the Brooks Beast. I haven't used any others in years except for on the trail (Brooks Cascadia). However, I'm seriously considering the Hoka One. My knees kill with anything approaching 20 miles or more. My thought is to lose weight and perhaps try the Hoka One's to reduce the pounding. Perhaps I can use the Beast for shorter runs and save the Hoka's for the longer runs. It's good to have options I guess!