Eating something you shouldnt have

Options
sowich25
sowich25 Posts: 70 Member
Has anyone ever eaten something they didn’t know had gluten in it? Then afterwards suffered from extreme abdominal pain. What did you do to relieve the pain or calm it, if anything at all? I did this the other day and it took up to 8hrs for everything to settle back down. It brought me to tears. Just looking for some idea to help me out if it happens again.

Replies

• fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This happens generally when I eat out as I have little control over what goes into my meals. I have been told that eating a large quantity of clean, gf food helps to push the gluten out quicker but to be honest most times I couldn't bear to eat a thing.

Peppermint tea helps with the spasms in your system and a hot water bottle on your tummy.

xx
  • Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I take a TBS of Olive Oil, Grapeseed oil, Coconut Oil or if you have Almond oil on hand too... and add 3-4 drops of pepperiment essential oil and rub it over my ENTIRE stomach area (From the rib cage to my pelvic bones, and both sides), it helps. You can also take a couple of different homeopathic remedies that are gear for stomach bloating and nausea that help too.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    They make peppermint oil, fennel, and ginger capsules that help some. They are marketed towards IBS sufferers. The brand I buy is called Heather's Tummy Tamers. I order them from Amazon.
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My husband got glutened (took a chance and it was a fail) this weekeend. He put on almost 10 lbs, and it took 4 days to get his blood sugar back under control. His stomach pain started to recede the same time.

What helps some is taking the gluten digestive enzymes with EVERY meal for at least a week (he should be taking them every meal to begin with, but that is too much trouble for him)

Remember that if you have Celiac (like my husband) the pain is from the lining of your stomach being burned out ( the villi, to be technical) It takes time to heal. In the meantime, eating easy to digest foods and taking digestive enzymes are helpful.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    With my daughter, it takes 3-5 days before we see negative results, usually in the form of constipation and nausea. So I have to think back to what I might have missed days earlier. It can take up to a week to get her regular again.

Easily digested foods, and usually a little miralax help her. But past that, we don't really have to go treatments. Just ride it out and hope for the best. And try to think back to what the culprit could have been.
  • sowich25
    Options
    Thanks im going to give those a shot. It just sucks because I have been paying allot of attention to what I eat, but I did eat out twice in a row so it was probably something that was mixed in.
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A lot of restaurants have GF menus, and make sure you beat it into the server's head that this is important. We also look for GIG trained restaurants.

You can find them in your area here - https://www.gluten.net/find-a-restaurants/
  • sowich25
    Options
    A lot of restaurants have GF menus, and make sure you beat it into the server's head that this is important. We also look for GIG trained restaurants.

You can find them in your area here - https://www.gluten.net/find-a-restaurants/

In NY it is mandatory for all resturants to have the menu. Everywhere I have been they have been great about it, but you still have to keep an eye on them because servers tend to forget
  • sowich25
    Options
    This happens generally when I eat out as I have little control over what goes into my meals. I have been told that eating a large quantity of clean, gf food helps to push the gluten out quicker but to be honest most times I couldn't bear to eat a thing.

Peppermint tea helps with the spasms in your system and a hot water bottle on your tummy.

xx

The peppermint tea helps a little. Thanks for the idea.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    It is NEVER worth it to 'take a chance' on something being gluten free - it can take months for your body to recover from one little mistake (Medscape studies) if you have celiac disease. I am not celiac but have extreme allergic reactions - asthma attack, skin rashes, joint pain for days, and the usual abdominal stuff.

When you go to a restaurant it is important to ask for a gluten free menu, and if they don't have one let the staff know you MUST have veggies and meat with NO spice mixes or breading or sauces. I ask for steamed veggies and poached or panfried unseasoned fish. Don't say you are eating gluten free since so many are trying this but not really taking it seriously - those who don't get sick, don't quite understand the importance of it for those of us who do get sick. The best thing to do is tell the kitchen serving staff that you have a severe food allergy to gluten (that makes them think of anaphylactic shock - like a peanut allergy) and then they realize how important it is. The only time I go to a restaurant that doesn't have a GF menu is when I'm with new friends that don't know me well yet. My old friends choose GF menu restaurants when we are out together. It's a smart idea to phone the restaurant ahead of time and talk to the chef or kitchen supervisor. Also it's important to always be gracious and show your thanks for any special meal made up for you with an appropriate tip.

I find the only help is the peppermint tea, and lots of water. pain killers for my joints, and my Ventolin inhaler.
    I have been doing this for 4 years and it just takes a bit of planning. I always carry GF tamari, salad dressing, special favorite sauces, etc in my purse in tiny leakproof containers so I can add them to my steamed veg. & meat or fish when my plate comes to the table. Then my dinner with friends is not so boring.