Gluten, Dairy free and Low Glycemic Index

Options
I've been advised to go low glycemic index as well as being gluten and dairy free....anyone have tips??

Replies

• EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Here's a good explanation of the glycemic index:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=32

Concentrate on eating more nutrient dense veggies and fruit but try to stay away from potatoes since they're higher on the glycemic index scale. Caution on grains since many contain gluten.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Cook from scratch so you know what is in the food you eat.
    If it is brown it is better for you as it contains the husk so would take longer for your body to digest. (Brown rice flour)
    Eat vegetables with everything and then have an extra portion of vegetables to reducen the carbohydrates on your plate.
    Eating little and often can help, plan six meals a day to allow for a mid morning snack, mid afternoon snack and a light supper as well as breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I find this works much better for me, especially since the list of foods I can't eat seems to get longer each time I check :happy:
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What Gosser said. Meat and veggies, VERY limited starches. My hubby does this due to his Diabetes.... It is really not hard at all, you are changing what a "meal" looks like form the "meat and potatoes" to enjoying the good stuff without having to have so many different things on your plate.
  • SHELBYMOMOF2
    SHELBYMOMOF2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. I to have been told to go Gluten, Dairy free and Low Glycemic for PCOS and T2D. I have changed my diet but it has been hard to find food that fits in my diet.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Google around --- glycemic index is only a factor when a food is eaten all on it's own. As soon as a food is combined with any other food in your stomach (technical term is "bolus") the glycemic index goes out the window. In other words, don't sweat it overmuch.