Grandma's

Options
PinkNinjaLaura
PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
Anybody running any of the Grandma's races this summer? I registered for the lottery this morning for the half - would be my first HM - so I'm hoping I get in.

Replies

• nwingr
    nwingr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I put in for the lottery also. Hope you get in, it would be a good one for your first HM, but there are other good ones in MN if you don't.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Which ones would you recommend? Living in Cloquet, Grandma's would be the most convenient, but if necessary I'm willing to travel.
  • nwingr
    Options
    I have heard good things about Fargo, but I have not done that one myself. The Whistlestop in Ashland is excellent but a fall race.

Ham and Walker are great runs but maybe not for a first half. There are a few others in the area I just have not done them or know anyone who has.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Thanks! I heard there's one in Brainerd too that falls right before or after Grandma's. It was started by a group that didn't get into Grandma's so they started it & promised they would never limit how many people can run it. Wish I could remember the name - Sour Grapes, or something like that.

I've got a good friend in Fargo so that would be a great location. it's in early May, though, and I wonder if I would be ready by then. I've only been running for 9 months so I'm still pretty much a newbie. I started with C25K in May, barely getting through those 60 second jogging intervals in Week 1. I was on an old dirt track at an elementary school early in the morning, praying nobody was paying attention to me. This Saturday I ran 10 miles for the first time. It astounds me when I think about it.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I was planning on running the full there this year. However now I won a free entry to Fargo the month before so am unsure if I really need to do both...

That being said it sounds like a great race! Good luck with the lottery
  • nwingr
    Options
    Thanks! I heard there's one in Brainerd too that falls right before or after Grandma's. It was started by a group that didn't get into Grandma's so they started it & promised they would never limit how many people can run it. Wish I could remember the name - Sour Grapes, or something like that.

I've got a good friend in Fargo so that would be a great location. it's in early May, though, and I wonder if I would be ready by then. I've only been running for 9 months so I'm still pretty much a newbie. I started with C25K in May, barely getting through those 60 second jogging intervals in Week 1. I was on an old dirt track at an elementary school early in the morning, praying nobody was paying attention to me. This Saturday I ran 10 miles for the first time. It astounds me when I think about it.

Yes Brainerd has a race, June 14, Sour Grapes as you said. If you haven't found it northlandrunner.com has a great local race list.

If you can run 10 miles now, I would guess you could get to 13 mi in two months of planned training.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Lottery is closed. I wasn't nervous while it was still open, but now I am!

I talked to my friend in Fargo & made sure she'd be around the weekend of the marathon, so that's my back-up plan if I don't get into Grandma's.

I used northlandrunner last summer to find 5Ks, but didn't think to use it to find longer races. Thanks for the tip. One of these days I'd like to try a 10K too.
  • nwingr
    Options
    Got the e-mail In Grandma's half. :) Hope everyone else who wanted to got in also.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Congrats nwingr! I got in too!
  • MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congratualtions Laura6887 & nwingr for getting into the Grandma's half marathon! I'm training for my first 10K (end of April) and I'm super nervous about it. Sounds like Gma's is super fun - so good luck! You inspire me :wink:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Thanks Michelle! Have fun with your 10K! Which one are you running?
  • nwingr
    Options
    Congrats nwingr! I got in too!

Excellent! I am sure you will love it.
  • MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks Michelle! Have fun with your 10K! Which one are you running?

Laura6887 - It's the "Cemstone-St. Andrews Run for Others" in Mahtomedi (NE part of the Twin Cities area). It's a small one which is one reason I picked it and Cemstone is my employer.
    THANKS!!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    T-6 days to race day! Hope everyone running it is getting excited. This will be my second time doing the half and I'm running it with a girlfriend - it will be her first!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I'm glad it's finally here. I feel like I've been training forever. I'm as ready as I'm going to get! I'm still an awfully slow runner so I'll be at the back of the pack, but that's okay.

Have fun stubbysticks! Will you & your friend run together for the entire race?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    It's time! Good luck everyone!