Gyms in the south side, cost , opening hrs etc

Options
Is there any cheap one there? Preferably with long opening hours? At least until 9 pm daily. I most likely have time to work out at 8-9 pm. I hate that most gym website won't even admit how much they cost. I am doing some at home workout programs right now, but I can see that very soon my home dumbbells won't be enough for me. On the long run if I want to improve, I'll probably need to join a gym.

I live close to century park, but I do not mind drive a bit.

Spa Lady has a huge billboard saying $15 dues, but when you go to the website it has a tiny note saying biweekly, so it is really $30. Plus they are sneaky and you must sign for 1 or more years, so no thanks. Not to mention their opening hours are terrible. On Sunday they open only 10-3 pm , Saturday until 5 pm and not open on holidays that is totally ridiculous. Plus the trainers look like anorexic bone collections. I went there for a free guess pass and a girl who looked like 90 lb showed me some stuff and she barely could lift up a 5 lb dumbbell, VERY unappealing.

YMCA is rather pricey $70 per month , even for student is $40, plus on weekend they are only open until 7 pm, on holidays only until 4 pm. Huge downer for me.

There is a Snapfittness opened up not far at the Ellerslie and the Parson intersection. Anybody been there? How much they cost? When they are open? The website tells the staffed hours , which is similar to Spa lady , like Sunday until 3 pm.
At the same time they say 24 hrs access. What does it mean? Does it mean you actually can go there to workout, but there will be nobody there? It sounds a bit creepy, but it is not in a bad neighborhood, so I guess it is ok?

There is Goodlife on Calgary trail, they opening hrs is until 8 pm on weekend, which is better than most, but still not perfect. There is no cost info on the website. Anybody knows how much it cost???

Terwillegar rec centre has good opening hrs like 5:30 am- 10:30 pm daily, but again rather pricey. $46 per month for only the weights room and $69 for using everything. I only have been there on the weekend during the day, but the crowd was always unbearable. Does anybody goes there at the evening to work out? How is the crowd level?

Is there anything else on the south side?

Replies

• hittingitonemoretime
    hittingitonemoretime Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    I have a snap fitness membership in fort saskatchewan. it is $45 a month, however it is 24 hours. I workout at 4:00 a.m. somethimes it is just me in the gym and other times there are a couple other people. When they say staffed hours, it is means someone at the desk.

I also have a membership to world health, they are open until 10 every night except the weekends. I believe they are $50 a month though. (I have had my membership for over 5 years so I dont pay what a new person pays)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have a snap fitness membership in fort saskatchewan. it is $45 a month, however it is 24 hours. I workout at 4:00 a.m. somethimes it is just me in the gym and other times there are a couple other people. When they say staffed hours, it is means someone at the desk.
    Thanks for the reply! So how the 24 hrs work without anybody is being there? You open the door with your card or something? Can you access all of the facility ? Like showers/changeroom etc or only the weight room?
  • hittingitonemoretime
    hittingitonemoretime Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    You have a key card, you can access everything in the gym except for the tanning beds, sauna and massage
  • deeds2785
    deeds2785 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I go to the Goodlife on Calgary Trail, its 48$ a month, but thats signing on for 2 years. I was going to the Terwillegar Rec Centre, glad I changed I couldnt stand that place. Always insanely busy, even trying to find parking was nuts.
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I go to the Goodlife on Calgary Trail, its 48$ a month, but thats signing on for 2 years. I was going to the Terwillegar Rec Centre, glad I changed I couldnt stand that place. Always insanely busy, even trying to find parking was nuts.
    Wow , $48 on 2 yrs contract, that is a bit much. But I totally get your annoyance with the terwillegar centre, that parking lot is always full no matter when I drive by.
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    You have a key card, you can access everything in the gym except for the tanning beds, sauna and massage
    thanks
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm cheap so I go to the Spa Lady that you mentioned. Completed a contract a while back and am $25 month-to-month (no contract). The hours SUCK and the equipment isn't great. . . but the group fitness classes are awesome and there's never a crowd for the the free weights.

So I guess I'm not much help to you :smile:. When I can afford a more expensive gym membership I'll likely go back to the YMCA. Loved working out there when I got a discounted student rate.
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I'm cheap so I go to the Spa Lady that you mentioned. Completed a contract a while back and am $25 month-to-month (no contract). The hours SUCK and the equipment isn't great. . . but the group fitness classes are awesome and there's never a crowd for the the free weights.
    I actually used to have spa lady membership before the kids because nothing beats the price. I loved the group classes, especially loved Wendy's class. But the opening hrs do suck! It was bad before I had kids, but now with 2 kids it just doesn't work for me at all.
    So I guess I'm not much help to you :smile:. When I can afford a more expensive gym membership I'll likely go back to the YMCA. Loved working out there when I got a discounted student rate.
    I actually just bit the bullet , and bought a membership at the YMCA yesterday. It turned out they weekend/holiday opening hrs is until 9 pm, so it works out for me. I am still a grad student so it cost me $39.25 and no building fee. It is a bit more expensive than I hoped for, but nothing is cheaper, and I do live across the street from it. Plus I wanted to sign up my 5 yr old for swimming this spring. Now he gets $20 membership as a family member, which is cheaper then the swimming lessons would be for him as a non-member.
    I have not used it, but probably will tonight.
  • JJMorrocco
    JJMorrocco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have made your pick. I am at Millenium, for 41.50 a month and that gives me everything, as well as access to other scona faiclities. I have the whole family of five signed up for $114 a month. It has been busy there as of late, kind of chose my time to go wisely, its not so much the gym thats busy but rahter the facility (hockey, soccer swimming etc).

The biggest factor to me is ease of access - I don't want ot drive for 20 minutes. If you can walk to the Y that would seal the deal - driving is expensive.
  • MissDez
    MissDez Posts: 3
    Options
    They say that ease of access is one of the biggest factors as to whether you will actually go to the gym. In this city, it's a huge thing for me because I don't drive and my hubby is really hard to shift once he gets home from work.

I live close enough to the Y to bike but way too far to walk in the winter. I am a little leery of Spa Lady because it sounds like you need a death certificate to get out of the membership unless you want to basically pay out the majority of the fees you would have paid anyway!

There's also a Curves near me but I've never heard of anyone having serious success with them. It sounds more like a little social club than a real gym.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    MissDez - you're right about the iron-clad contracts with Spa Lady. I'm glad to be in the post-contract phase with them as month-to-month is affordable and much less intimidating than a multi-year contract.

Have you considered doing a summer program through the YMCA? If I remember correctly, you can pay a specific course fee and access a program (like running, swimming, boxing, etc.) through the summer without paying into their expensive yearly membership fee. I bet if you look it up online you could find a lot of information. That way you can go during the time of year when it is reasonable to bike there (bonus exercise!) and not be paying into a membership that you don't use during the winter.

Also, I encourage you to learn to drive! I hadn't driven in the city (and had lived here 7 years) before I went on my last maternity leave, and felt like I needed to not be stuck anymore. I also knew that any gym I'd want to attend, I'd have to be able to drive to. I was leery to learn as an adult and felt a bit silly, but Edmonton's not so bad... I feel so much more liberated now that I can just take the car and go when I need to.
  • bellahuxley
    Options
    GoodLife Fitness Millwoods :) Love it !!
  • mistressdiademe
    mistressdiademe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am with Spa Lady, will cost you $26.25 (with tax) per month, the 15$ due are annual fees. I think it is worth it, when you shop around most places cost more per month and if you prefer to work in a female only environment (which I do).