The pressure of being vegan.

Options
flashbacks
flashbacks Posts: 34 Member
Ok, does anyone else feel pressured as vegans or is it just me ?

What do I mean by pressure ? I mean, pressure to be healthy and never get a flu, or it will be caused by a vegan diet.
Pressure to not gain weight, because vegans only eat salad ( or straight up just don't eat ) so weight gain is nearly impossible.
Pressure to avoid weightloss, because that will prove that vegans are only trying to lose weight.
Pressure to gain muscles, because vegans don't get protein.
Pressure to eat a nice dinner all the time, because vegans have nothing else to eat than tofu and salad.

I know I might feel more pressured than I should, but does anyone else feels maybe just a bit pressured by being vegan ?

Replies

• BelleVegan77
    BelleVegan77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    YES! and the whole "should you be eating that?" Obviously I should or I wouldn't be. Do you ever feel like people are watching to see if you eat non vegan?
  • flashbacks
    Options
    Yeah exactly ! Especially if I eat alternatives like vegan yogurt, ice cream or Daiya and even cereals.
    " Isn't there milk in that oatmeal ? " " Are you sure that's vegan ?"
    Thanks for your concern, but I'm sure.
    Sometimes I feel like people watch what I eat because they're curious about what vegans eat.
  • zhidecitta
    zhidecitta Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For me, the worst of it is the family pressure. Everything they do, they do around food (part of the reason I'm on MFP to begin with). They pressure you to eat and join them in meals to be a part of the family, and I'm abandoning them or insulting them for not wanting to eat a meal completely covered in meat and cheese. Drives me nuts every time, mostly because it treats my reasons for being vegan like they're irrelevant.
  • flashbacks
    Options
    How long have you been vegan for ?
  • zhidecitta
    zhidecitta Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian 4 years ago and vegan about 2 years back. Kind of a crazy family, and they only remember when it gets brought up.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    That is a big part of the reason I'm "in the closet" to borrow a phrase about trying to eat a vegan diet. I got so much stinking grief about losing some much needed weight, which included "Do you only eat salad?" that when I decided to ditch meat and eventually dairy as well I have kept this mostly to myself. It is sad that I also tell my kids on a regular basis, "Please don't discuss my eating habits with anyone.".
    You would think I chose to skydive without a parachute!
  • jujubntx
    jujubntx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I dislike when others say...."Oh, you can't have that." I usually reply nicely, ""Well, I can...but I choose not to eat that." I think for me one of the most encouraging things I can do as a vegan is remind myself and others that being vegan isn't about being perfect or pure (people often think it is just that). For me, being vegan is about making the most healthful and compassionate choices that I can. I choose to be vegan because it is better for my health and better for the animals and environment. Being vegan creates less suffering in the world. I never claim to be perfect, and I'm sure there are time when even though I do my best a stray dairy ingredient might slip into something I'm eating when at a restaurant...or even at my home. (Not all my family members are vegan).

If you haven't heard the podcasts from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau on this topic, then it's a good listen. (Vegetarian food for thought -"Being Vegan is a means to an end"). I practically memorize a lot of her verbiage to use with others as it is so useful in conversations with non-vegans and folks who like to "monitor" your diet for you.
  • celticgladiator
    celticgladiator Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i just tell tell people i eat this way for health reasons, which is true. i'm quite overweight with high cholesterol and blood pressure. i dont like the side effects from the meds and let people know i wish to get off my meds. once i explain the cholesterol is only found in animal products as well as the fat content and my BP they are mostly pretty supportive for the most part. my friends give me crap about having to give up bacon etc but its all in fun so it doesn't bother me. strangers dont tend to mess with me because i'm tall and stout and can be intimidating so i've been lucky so far. fingers crossed.
  • dariazeoli
    dariazeoli Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The pressures you describe are the result of years of societal expectations about what we "should" be eating and stereotypes about what vegans "should" be like. I get it. It's frustrating!

I second the Colleen Patrick-Goudreau recommendation. She's been a huge influence on me in the years since I went vegan. There are others out there - podcasters and authors alike - find the "voice" that speaks to you and you'll find some valuable advice.

You can go about it a couple of ways - why are you vegan? If it's for the animals, your health - or the expectations of health others give you - are secondary to your ethics. If it's for health, you tell them you're on the road to wellness and it's a process just like anything else. If you're already healthy, whip out your last blood panel. I know that sounds geeky, but I love it when my numbers are good and I can "prove" my food choices are working out for everyone.

To me, whatever pressure I get from my family, friends, and co-workers is less important than my living according to my values and not contributing to the horrible way we raise, treat, and kill animals for, among other things, a palate preference. Keeping that thought in my mind helps a lot when someone gives me "the look" when I cough, or a pitying sigh followed by a, "Oh, you can't have that."

Good luck! :)
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes. I always feel I should always bring super delicious food to social events so everyone knows vegan food is tasty, too.

But it's our decisions really. We don't have to be the ambassadors of veganism everywhere we go. And we could just decide we're the way we are and we don't care what other people think about what we eat.
  • flashbacks
    Options
    thanks for the podcasts recommendations, I'll look it up. :)

I started to be vegan for ehtical reasons, it wasn't for health or anything. I sure am a lot more healthy than I was back in my meat eating days though. But a vegan can be completely unhealthy.

I just feel the pressure to be healthy. Since I'm the only vegan around, I feel like I represent vegans for some people. How many times did I hear " Well, I know this one vegetarian who had to stop because.... " I don't want to be that girl people talk about as " this one vegan I knew had an iron defficiency ( implying that it will happen to every vegans.)" I don't hace any defficiencies, I've had blood tests and I'm fine, but yeah.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Bah. Vegans are always expected to be 100%. I know so many people who eat meat and have deficiencies or are actually anemic.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Bah. Vegans are always expected to be 100%. I know so many people who eat meat and have deficiencies or are actually anemic.

VERY TRUE!!!!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The reason Vegans sometimes tend to feel this pressure is actually because of other Vegans. I have been members of various Vegan groups and you always get the 'Vegan Police' those that immediately Judge others and how Vegan they are 'Shock Horror I've eaten an item that was Vegan but it was made by a company that once had a driver who drank some cows milk'. These same Vegans are the ones that sit and Tut whenever they see an Omnivore eat something which makes the omnivores then want to Judge us and our diets.

I'm not a Vegan because I believe the food to be healthier being a Vegan is more than just food its a whole lifestyle. I am the best Vegan I can be but I am not perfect. I have eaten something with honey in by mistake recently but we live and learn. Most Omnivores dont really care what we eat or what we do unless we shove it in their faces. In my opinion the best advert for being a Vegan is living a life that people hardly notice your one. The fact you get on with your life and are well normal. this reinforces the fact we are normal people. I will happily debate with people the issues but I don't ram it down there throats. I have a friend who Ive know for 20 yeas she has been a Vegan since she was 14. She always inspired me to become a Vegan because she has just got on with her life. She has 3 healthy and Happy Vegan children and just gets on with life. That's what I do and I believe food wise there are healthy Vegan diets the same way there can be healthy animal based ones. I personally though do not want to participate in the cruelty involved in the latter. I got fat being a Vegan and am now getting Thin being one.

The only pressure about being a Vegan is that that you put on yourself. In some ways you should have less pressure to know that your choices are helping reduce needless cruelty in the world. be the best Vegan you can by just getting on with it,
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I try to be happy and if people want to know what I'm eating, I tell them. Pressure doesn't have to be an issue, I think, if you're gentle with the poor person passing on their lack of understanding. Be the educator and get them to think about their food choices. They generally back off after you tell them a few facts and demonstrate the level of your knowledge. Also, I just keep a few snarky comments on hand if they're needed. Does anyone have some fun comments to share for when the "vegan police/haters" start in with pressure. Surely, we can make each other laugh! :glasses: :drinker:
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My mom always says "Oh, you can't have that". She "forgets" that chicken and fish are considered meat, and that no, I do not in fact eat soup made with chicken broth...

My brother is always giving me grief about being vegetarian. He once asked me if he needed to hide his house plants when I came to visit so I wouldn't be tempted to eat them... so I said, "Yes, if they're edible maybe you should. Do I need to hide my dog when you come to my house?"
  • Zlink
    Zlink Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes!! especially from my family worrying for my health which i can understand but the funny thing i am in better shape than all of them XD

but what bother me more is not the pressure but people that know you are vegan and sometimes like to put meat into your face as so call joke.....i usually warn them nicely i will kick them in the nuts next time they will do so :P (not sure if it happens to you as well or am i the only one?)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I've never thought of it- but now I feel pressure- lol!
  • VegGirl62
    VegGirl62 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try being a Vegan and a homeschool family!! LOL. A Double whammy.....my dad keeps telling me not to eat pasta, grains or fruits...he follows Gary Taubes diet. ( Why We Get Fat). And he had a triple heart bypass 2 years ago!! He will not change his diet because he says it keeps him thin.....Well, I am losing weight and getting healthier eating his "forbidden" foods! I just tell people I don' t eat animal products. :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    ive never felt pressure about it

I do love telling people all my horrendous seasonal allergies ( that I had since childhood) disappeared when I went vegan though

ahhh feels good