Whole30 Newbie

Options
I started the Whole30 on 2/25/14, and so far am finding it much easier than expected. I am using "The Clothes Make the Girl" website (http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/?s=whole30) for recipes/cooking plan and I love it, she shows you how to cook a weeks worth of food in one night! Having so much prepared food, has made this plan easier to follow than regular eating, and the food has been great! I decided to do this plan because I have several food sensitivities and I really need to get healthier, so this is my jump start to wellness! I haven't noticed any monumental changes yet (I'm only on my second day), but some of my GI issues are already improving!!! I look forward to hearing about other peoples journey to wellness!!!

Replies

• NicholeCazett
    NicholeCazett Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started the Whole30 on 2/25/14, and so far am finding it much easier than expected. I am using "The Clothes Make the Girl" website (http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/?s=whole30) for recipes/cooking plan and I love it, she shows you how to cook a weeks worth of food in one night! Having so much prepared food, has made this plan easier to follow than regular eating, and the food has been great! I decided to do this plan because I have several food sensitivities and I really need to get healthier, so this is my jump start to wellness! I haven't noticed any monumental changes yet (I'm only on my second day), but some of my GI issues are already improving!!! I look forward to hearing about other peoples journey to wellness!!!

Hi Newbie!

I am on Day 17 of Whole30 and I have really enjoyed finding new ways to cook veggies & protein. I am on a mission to be healthy and reclaim my waist line!

Do you have a Trader Joe's by you where you live? They have been a life saver for me because my grocery store is pretty limited with organic variety. (I am not doing completely organic because it's so expensive - so I am doing as my budget allows) They have some awesome chicken brats that are Whole30 ingredient approved that are fully cooked with 5 different flavors that are great in a pinch when your Sunday doesn't allow you to cook all meals for the week.

I too have read a lot of "The Clothes Make The Girl" profile and love her recipes. I am excited for your new journey because I know you will love it! At this point I don't even want to quit at 30 days because it just makes me feel so much better!
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Joy I did a whole 30 (actually lasted 45 days) in January. I had been eating paleo since November and decided the time was right to take it a step further. After whole 30 I went back to paleo but not done so great over the last 8 days or so. As a result my fibromyalgia has flared up and I feel dreadful. For this reason I am going to join you and whole 30 throughout march. This time I am going to try to cut back on fruit as this was an issue I never tackled last time. Glad to be on board. I loved my last whole 30 and the group I was with was so supportive leading to great new friends.
  • bethcongdon1
    bethcongdon1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Beth and I am on day 26 of my whole 30. There were a few reasons that I am doing a whole 30. First of all my body has been telling me something is wrong with the way that I am eating. For over a year (looking back in photos it has been longer but I didn't really notice it as much) I have had flushing in my face and neck when I eat certain foods, when I exercise, etc. I noticed that if I avoid certain foods it tones down but never goes away. Had a diagnosis of rosacea by my dermatologist. Until February, I had skin tone around my eyes and the rest was various shades of red. 2 weeks into my whole 30 and my color started coming back. I also hit my highest weight not pregnant on Christmas and knew something had to give. I exercise too and never lose weight even when I run. I read It starts with food and it really fell in line with my way of thinking. I also had a cholesterol check coming up in March. I liked the idea of being a science experiment So after changing some things (eliminating soda and added sugar, making my own condiments, and incorporating some meals that were whole 30 compliant, I decided to go all in. And I am so glad that I did. I can't wait to get my test results and visit with my doctor. Did I really just type that? ;) I am afraid to reintroduce foods and try more of paleo life style. I fear falling back into bad habits. So far whole 30 is working for me. So I want to reintroduce foods, test the waters, and start another whole 30. I really do enjoy it. Though I dislike eggs for breakfast. Leftovers are my favorite meal. Good luck everyone! It's hard for the first few days, but so worth it. Did I mention my clothes are so baggy that I am going to have to go shopping for new clothes? Extra bonus.
  • becrobbie
    becrobbie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Bec. I made it through 24 days of the January Whole 30. I wasn't too disappointed about finishing early, but I have been disappointed in myself since. I have let chocolate and ice cream back in a little too often. I also need to sort out my portion sizes. I am not sure that I have my husband's full support this time around. He feels it is too over the top. So I am thinking of pre cooking most of the 30 days. So, if I don't start tomorrow, it will be in a couple of days time. I have an open diary, and would love to see other people's diaries to get food ideas. Best of luck!
  • becrobbie
    Options
    Hi my name is Joy I did a whole 30 (actually lasted 45 days) in January. I had been eating paleo since November and decided the time was right to take it a step further. After whole 30 I went back to paleo but not done so great over the last 8 days or so. As a result my fibromyalgia has flared up and I feel dreadful. For this reason I am going to join you and whole 30 throughout march. This time I am going to try to cut back on fruit as this was an issue I never tackled last time. Glad to be on board. I loved my last whole 30 and the group I was with was so supportive leading to great new friends.

Hi Joy, great to see you here.
  • cmacdonald8
    cmacdonald8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to see so many posts!!! It sounds like everyone is doing well on their journey!

I love Trader Joe's I was planning on going there to get some nuts either tonight our tomorrow, thanks for the tip on the chicken breasts! I am finding Costco to be my best friend, because the have bulk veggies (some organic) at a pretty low price. I am officially loving sugar snap peas, so happy those were not excluded. I have some brussel sprouts that I am going to try to find a creative way to make this weekend, I am pretty sure I have never had a brussel sprout. I am also loving chicken thighs (baked w/salt, pepper, and garlic powder), I don't think I ever had a chicken thigh before this, so I am definitely finding new foods.

Welcome back Joy! I too have eaten paleo/primal before as well as gluten free. I think I need the strictness of the whole30. I am struggling with the fruit, your post is motivating me to sticking to cutting back! I am having trouble with no snacking, so I am trying to tackle portion size during my meals.

Love, love, love the thought of shopping for new clothes, because current clothes are too baggy. I was pretty much following primal and down 30 pounds, and added gluten back in (went a little crazy) and think I gained most of it back. I decided to not even weigh myself before I started b/c i just didn't want to know. I can't wait to hear your results from the doctor! :)

Bec you have to check out the cooking tips on the clothes make the girl (http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/?s=whole30). It has helped me cook for the entire week, and my husband is finding that he likes the foods I am making. hope it helps! I will try to start logging my food better and open my diary. I prefer logging on the website where I track my workouts, and I have been resistant to logging my foods twice, but I can figure out a solution!
  • joybedford
    Options

Hi Joy, great to see you here.

Hi Bec good to see you here. I really need to get back on track and hopefully this will do it.
  • Dianafrance8
    Dianafrance8 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone . I stared W30 for the first time last week on Feb. 23rd. So far so good. I've lost about 90 lbs staying really low carb. I still want to lose about 50 more. I've researched VB6, Paleo and Eat to Live programs. I think this strict-no sugar- approach is my best option. I'm excited to get recipes and tips from you all. Thanks for starting this site.

Diana
  • joybedford
    Options
    Hi I just wanted to let you know that I won't be doing the whole 30 this month. I don't feel the time is right for me to do it. I have a half marathon in April and since I cut out oatmeal my running has been affected. I haven't had a decent run since November when I switched to paleo. Most of my meals will be paleo as I truly do love the food, I will continue to use the well fed cook books. I will cook everything from raw ingredients and eat no processed foods or alcohol for the next 30 days. I am still working on cutting down fruit. The only real difference will be breakfast, (I have really missed oatmeal/muesli). I am still here to support you all and maybe in the future I will go back to strict paleo. I have thought a lot about this lately and just feel my diet is affecting the way I train and recover. I feel like I am letting you all down and I am sorry, I will monitor the effect of my diet on my health problems but I hope just eating cleanly will work for me. Good luck to you all in your whole 30 I will be cheering you all on.
  • bethcongdon1
    Options
    Hey joy, I think that one thing that I have learned from whole 30 is to listen to your body. Good luck training for your 1/2! How exciting!
  • becrobbie
    Options
    Hi I just wanted to let you know that I won't be doing the whole 30 this month. I don't feel the time is right for me to do it. I have a half marathon in April and since I cut out oatmeal my running has been affected. I haven't had a decent run since November when I switched to paleo. Most of my meals will be paleo as I truly do love the food, I will continue to use the well fed cook books. I will cook everything from raw ingredients and eat no processed foods or alcohol for the next 30 days. I am still working on cutting down fruit. The only real difference will be breakfast, (I have really missed oatmeal/muesli). I am still here to support you all and maybe in the future I will go back to strict paleo. I have thought a lot about this lately and just feel my diet is affecting the way I train and recover. I feel like I am letting you all down and I am sorry, I will monitor the effect of my diet on my health problems but I hope just eating cleanly will work for me. Good luck to you all in your whole 30 I will be cheering you all on.

Don't feel like you are disappointing anyone. You know your body best, especially with such a heavy training load. Actually after thinking about it over the past couple of days, I am going to aim for 90/10 whole 30. I know my reactions to different foods after my last whole 30. Gluten is off menu indefinitely. I will occasionally have dairy if I really want it, but will mostly avoid it.

What I absolutely need to work on is ditching potato chips. I only eat very clean, plain salted ones, but I know I need to rid myself of this addiction. I do still crave something sweet after dinner, and gave into chocolate during February, so I am using this group and my open diary as accountability to not cave in.

For everyone doing this challenge, if you need support, I am here. Just message me. Best of luck.
  • cmacdonald8
    Options
    I agree with the previous two posters, Whole 30 is all about listening to your body. You should be proud of yourself for all of the positive steps you are taking and the fact that you know your body well enough to know what it needs. Most people cannot say that. I wish you the best and look forward to hearing from you!
  • shoniej
    shoniej Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I am starting whole30 today!! Love all the positive support you girls are giving!! Hope y'all are having a great Monday!! :bigsmile:
  • cmacdonald8
    Options
    Welcome Shoniej! I hope your Whole30 is off to a great start!
  • bethcongdon1
    Options
    I completed my whole 30 in the beginning of march. One of the reasons for starting a whole 30 was to reduce rosacea symptoms (any processed food turns me red as well as grains, yeast, sugar, and tomatoes). And it did. I even got my natural skin tone back by the end of the whole 30. So I had my cholesterol checked and had great results and I went down a couple sizes. But after my whole 30 I made paleo treats and justified it because the ingredients were my safe ingredients. I wouldn't go crazy. But I did. I made a small 1/2 batch of mini muffins (12 small tiny ones) and ended up eating 6 after they cooled (but it is just like eating one whole muffin right? j/k I know I have food issues still.) My son's birthday weekend was last weekend and I had pizza, cake, soda, diet soda, omg. I felt hung over all weekend. His birthday was Wednesday and I made cupcakes for school. School was closed due to a snow day and I had several cup cake cones (my absolute favorite). I was eating whole 30 meals for lunch and breakfast. Dinners were regular meals, grains and corn and sweets included. I wasn't planning or eating enough veggies. I had several flushing incidents where I turned bright red and my rosacea bumps are back. So yesterday I set up an instagram account and I am officially starting my 2nd whole 30 today and using instagram to document my meals and scoping out what others eat for future meal ideas. I doing whole 30 again, this time to work on my relationship with food. I am ready to commit again starting today. First day went well. :)
  • The_hungry_blonde
    The_hungry_blonde Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started today, 3/15, DAY ONE! I have food sensitivities that I need to sort out, skin issues, and exhausted all the time. Please add me if you would like a Whole30 buddy to swap ideas with!