Training - running constant rolling hills - good or bad

Options
ElliottTN
ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
***Pre-apology if this info is out there already but just couldn't find it because the overwhelming posts regarding specific hill training interval type runs***

So I've registered and have been training for my first full marathon and everyone I have talked to about this specific course absolutely gives a canned response about how bad the hills are (they kind of smirk about the pain I'm about to go through)

I am not sure if it is all hype or really that bad but here is the elevation chart for the race:

5eg048.jpg

So on to the question. The city I live in is basically flat, a few hills around town but nothing amazing to brag about.

I've found a bridge that has has a steep elevation climb that goes up around 150+ ft rather quickly.

or

I can go about 45 minutes away to a park that is nothing but really extreme rolling hills. The entire park you are either going up extreme slopes or trying to keep yourself from going head over *kitten* coming down a hill.

Any experienced marathoners have an opinion on where I should concentrate my training? I can run a route and incorporate the bridge every few miles but not sure if that would really prep my body fully. I can run the park but wouldn't that be putting myself at an elevated risk of injury before the marathon? I've had a hamstring injury when I got around the 20 mile mark before which made me reset my training and it was a bit heartbreaking to not be able to run what I put so many hours training for so I am a bit more conscious and conservative than ever.

Thought? Opinions?

I' not really a runner, my body is not really built for it, just want to do 1 to knock it off my bucket list but have a the very least make it to the race injury free.

Replies

• SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hmmm..... This isn't so hilly that you'll likely be in serious pain if you DON'T hill train... but hill training is good for you AND it spices up your running routine.

Another way to get hill training is to run up and down bleachers or the staircase in a parking structure. Do you have any of those within running distance? You could run, then run up and down the bleachers for 20 minutes, then run home?

Good luck with your training!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Hmmm..... This isn't so hilly that you'll likely be in serious pain if you DON'T hill train... but hill training is good for you AND it spices up your running routine.

Another way to get hill training is to run up and down bleachers or the staircase in a parking structure. Do you have any of those within running distance? You could run, then run up and down the bleachers for 20 minutes, then run home?

Good luck with your training!

Yes to bleachers -- they are definitely lower-impact than hill training. But you will need to do at least some training running up and down hills to prepare your body for the race. I would say just do hills or bleachers once a week. if you notice the hamstring issues starting to creep up again, then ease back on them but maybe try to throw in a hill or two every now and then, just to remind yourself what it is like.
  • ElliottTN
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

So what I gather so far is that.

1. The people that were hammering me about how bad the hills are exaggerated a bit more than needed.
    2. Do some hills or stair running once a week but I don't have to make all my long runs on constant rolling hills to really prep.

Good good to hear, thank you guys.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm not a marathoner but I have run a half that had a 6000 ft summit (800 ft. climb of rolling hills) at mile 11. Yuck! It definitely won't hurt to get some hill training in. Also (don't kill me for suggesting it) you can do hill sprints or rolling hills on the treadmill. Definitely not long runs but incorporated into your other training. I use my treadmill about 1x per week on 10-15 incline. It's awful (lol) but it works! Bleachers or stairs are awesome too! Good luck ???????????? on your marathon & staying healthy!!!

P.S. If you run; you're a "real" runner. ????????
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Stairs/bleachers will help a lot, also the fact that you lift and are in good shape will really help you. The more conditioned you are, the better you will be. Just remember when you attack the hills, most of the time there is a downhill, so don't go crazy and waste all your energy on getting up the hill in record time. A hills run once a week will most likely we adequate.

Here's what I'm facing in Pittsburgh in may...similar, but our big climb is at mile 11. long. steady climb: http://pittsburghmarathon.com/Files/Admin/Documents/Marathon_Elevation_Chart.pdf
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you aren't used to hills that's probably why people were fussing. If you bare used to hills that profile isn't a big deal. I'd just say hit the bridge a few times and you should be fine. Just don't attempt to keep the pace up the steeper parts of the race course
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Stairs/bleachers will help a lot, also the fact that you lift and are in good shape will really help you. The more conditioned you are, the better you will be. Just remember when you attack the hills, most of the time there is a downhill, so don't go crazy and waste all your energy on getting up the hill in record time. A hills run once a week will most likely we adequate.

Here's what I'm facing in Pittsburgh in may...similar, but our big climb is at mile 11. long. steady climb: http://pittsburghmarathon.com/Files/Admin/Documents/Marathon_Elevation_Chart.pdf

I will be there. I've been up that mile 11 hill several times. Each time a little easier. ;)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Ugh I was wondering what the hell kind of nightmare marathon that was, and what kind of idiot would sign up for it.

Turns out I am doing that one too. See y'all there.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that you can't run too many rolling hills. Looking at some of the gradient you will face during the race not only do you need to practice rolling hills but also something a bit steeper.

The thing with hill running, particularly if you are new to it is knowing when to run and when to walk. I would suggest that you will walk a fair few of the inclines. Practising walking action with hands on knees will help a lot.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I can't get enough hills...I have a love/hate relationship with them. I love coming up on them and enjoy them after the fact...but half way through them I am cursing at them. But they feel so good.

I agree with Dizzle, you can never run too many hills.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The biggest climb doesn't look too bad and it's in the beginning of the race. It looks like about 200 feet over 4 miles, so 50 feet per mile. That's the point in a marathon when you should be making a concerted effort to keep your pace under control and that long uphill will help to facilitate that.

For your training, I think the idea of adding the bridge loops in is a good idea, that or running up a parking garage ramp if you have access to one.

Will not running a hilly route kill you in the marathon, probably not. I think you should be far more concerned about the impact that long steady downhill is going to have on your quads. Heartbreak Hill in the Boston is not so bad because of the change in elevation, nor because it's so late in the race. It's really bad because it's preceded by miles and miles of quad shredding downhill running.

I advocate trying to do most of your runs on some type of rolling hilly route, then doing your pace specific workouts on the flats. So, find some elevation changes if you can and incorporate them into your runs.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I try to incorporate some hills into most of my runs. The second half marathon I ever did was very hilly and I noticed how many runners I was picking off on the hills, even early in the race (mostly they were walking). I assumed it was because most of them hadn't trained on hills and were mentally unprepared. This is when I began to appreciate training on hills and even to embrace them. Most of the hills I do regularly are rolling. There are some very steep hills near my work that I like to run every once in a while. We are talking max heart rate at the top of the hill kind of hills. But they kill my quads on the way back down, so I usually walk down them.

I am also thinking of doing Pittsburgh this spring. I am well aware of the hilliness of the city (my hometown), but am not too familiar with the course. Has anyone done Pittsburgh and Cincinnati (fulls)? How do they compare? I had heard so much ado about the Eden Park hill in Cinnci, and was pretty surprised that it wasn't that bad. I guess I need to compare the profiles of the two.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The second half marathon I ever did was very hilly and I noticed how many runners I was picking off on the hills, even early in the race (mostly they were walking). I assumed it was because most of them hadn't trained on hills and were mentally unprepared. This is when I began to appreciate training on hills and even to embrace them.

Isn't that a great feeling? :)
  • ElliottTN
    Options
    btw - thank you for everyone for their input.
  • arwenmakin
    arwenmakin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hill training will improve your running anyway - there is nothing wrong with running to a hill to warm up, then running (fast) up it for varying distances, jogging back down, turning round, and repeating. Its boring but works well - especially if you don't have too many hills to chose from where you live! I'm a fell runner who lives in a not very hilly place - it's what I try to do once a week.
    You'll be fine - and ultimately there is no shame in walking up properly hardcore hills if necessary! I'm doing Snowdonia Marathon this October which is meant to be pretty hilly, and I did the South Downs trail marathon (billed as a pretty tough off road one here) last year. My hill training and fell running really helped in that one. Unfortunately the fact I didn't train for it distance wise didn't assist - but I intend to rectify that before Snowdonia this year!
    Embrace the hills and enjoy!
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hill training will improve your running anyway - there is nothing wrong with running to a hill to warm up, then running (fast) up it for varying distances, jogging back down, turning round, and repeating. Its boring but works well - especially if you don't have too many hills to chose from where you live! I'm a fell runner who lives in a not very hilly place - it's what I try to do once a week.
    You'll be fine - and ultimately there is no shame in walking up properly hardcore hills if necessary! I'm doing Snowdonia Marathon this October which is meant to be pretty hilly, and I did the South Downs trail marathon (billed as a pretty tough off road one here) last year. My hill training and fell running really helped in that one. Unfortunately the fact I didn't train for it distance wise didn't assist - but I intend to rectify that before Snowdonia this year!

Snowdonia is a great marathon, did it in 2012 as my first marathon and I'm back again this year. Pen y pass isn't too terrible but the climb from Waunfawr to Bwlch y Groes is a real killer.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options

Snowdonia is a great marathon, did it in 2012 as my first marathon and I'm back again this year. Pen y pass isn't too terrible but the climb from Waunfawr to Bwlch y Groes is a real killer.

A few of my friend are doing this one! Heard its quite a challenging one