Why inadequate weight gain is dangerous for infants

Options
Hi all....

I saw this article and thought I would share with you all. When I first found out I was pregnant after having lost nearly 60 lbs, it was so difficult to imagine gaining weight. The first two trimester, I ate at maintenance, but found myself continuing to gain weight no matter what. It really messed with my mind!!!! Especially, reading threads about women on this board who barely gained any weight at all or actually lost lbs....(whether it be for one reason or another). That is why I decided to ditch the scale, ditch counting calories and checking MFP everyday.

I happened to come across this article today and thought I'd share with you all because it really struck me and made me realize that we ARE supposed to gain weight...even if a little if you're obese. Some weight gain is beneficial for the little ones.

http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/why-inadequate-pregnancy-weight-gain-is-dangerous-for-infants_12911668

*posted on fit fabulous & pregnant board too ;-)

Replies

• HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    But look at the numbers... obese women to gain 11+ lbs.. that really is not much. Your OB would say something if you were endangering your child by not gaining enough. I have gained very little... but through the ultrasounds they can see baby has gained plenty and is right on par with averages at this gestational age.

On a lighter note, some women lose weight during pregnancy because they finally start eating right!! Some women have horrible nausea and can't keep enough food down. Whatever the reason: As long as you/baby are healthy, I say congrats!!! Enjoy your pregnancy and try not to stress. Lord knows we all stress enough as it is.

:flowerforyou:
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I was told with my son to gain 15-25 lbs, but really they wanted me closer to 15 since my bmi was 29. I gained 23 and everyone was pleased.

I lost the weight and 10 more lbs and I think was 25 something with my bmi for baby #2, my daughter. I started eating and eating and not counting calories. I was stressing out because I was gaining a lot, so I ditched the scale. This led me to gain 46 lbs, and while too little weight isn't good neither is too much. No complications or anything, but they were worried about the possibility of a stuck shoulder with her since I gained more than 40 lbs.

My son was 7lbs 12, my daughter was 7lbs 15, so a a 23 lb weight gain difference yielded almost the same baby weight (one was 13 days overdue, one 6 days overdue)

So this one I'm aiming to gain just right. I am counting calories, watching the scale go up, and while it's partly a head game I KNOW I can't gain 46 lbs again. It wasn't good for my joints. It wasn't good for anything. My baby did not need that much weight.

A quarter gained too little while 41% gained too much. This just strikes me. I need to be one of the 34% that gains the right amount this time! And I will be!

Edited to add: I wonder if the infant mortality rate was higher due to problems the mother had. Not all women put on too few lbs because they are dieting. Some have health issues that make it difficult - and possibly those same health issues could be a reason why the rate is so much higher.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Edited to add: I wonder if the infant mortality rate was higher due to problems the mother had. Not all women put on too few lbs because they are dieting. Some have health issues that make it difficult - and possibly those same health issues could be a reason why the rate is so much higher.

Good point. It would be interesting if they could do more research on that aspect of the study. I found it to be a bit much, IMO, but reading the other stats helped ease my mind a bit about gaining the weight.

I tried counting calories and logging in everyday with the "weight gain is good" mentality but watching the scale go up was to overpowering for me. That's why, for me, I had to let go of everything (logging, etc). I just have an addictive and obsessive personality and that's why I decided to post this in case any one felt the same way I did.

So now I'm enjoying the last 10 weeks, TRYING to eat healthy and keep a healthy state of mind. I bought tons of fruit and veggies to keep in the office to hold me off from eating all the awful food that's always around me.

Happy Friday!!!
  • qhiggins86
    qhiggins86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You know, I've had this sinking feeling that my lack of weight gain was somehow harming my baby... I'm a FTM, started out as obese at 212 lbs on a 5'6" frame (BMI of 34) and was 205 lbs at the end of my first trimester. But my OB doesn't seem concerned that I've gone back up to 213 lbs now... I don't even know how to gage if I've technically gained a pound, or I've gained 7 lbs... I have no idea. I'll have a better idea at my next ultrasound next week at 28 weeks.

I guess I'm not getting a strong indication that there is more than just a correlation between the statistics and a general outcome. I'm trying not to stress because correlation does not always indicate causation. Infant mortality can happen for a number of reasons. So far the baby's weight has been exactly where it should be and I feel fine. I'm trying to do my best to not over-analyze it and just do what I have been doing. I know I could be doing more (strive for perfect diet and exercise routines), but I have a lot of worries as a FTM as it is.
  • rubyted
    rubyted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It seems a bit like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Babes are clever little parasites and will take everything they need from you….to the detriment of your own health if that's what it takes. So long as you are healthy and eat a wide range of foods I really wouldn't worry about your weight gain, as realistically you'll put on what your baby needs.

I completely agree with the person who said that there re probably far more factors involved than just the mother's weight gain in the health of the babies in that study.