March MFP Mileage Challenge!

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
Welcome to the MFP runners' Team Challenge! Each month we set running goals and then track our miles and encourage each other to keep it up. Check in here for

March!

To join us, all you need to do is visit the spreadsheet below and record your information on the first tab. The second tab tallies the results.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkmK3myW0PepdHFWeHZnaXNSYUowYkthUEpSMDNEdlE

To get started, you need to enter your name and your GOAL for March. Let us know in the comments if you have any difficulties doing this. Then, enter your mileage each day. Everything should be automatically tallied on the second page of the spreadsheet -- please DON'T edit the second page!. Let us know if it's not working and we'll fix it!

Important: Enter your name/goal at the bottom of the list; we'll sort it periodically. It doesn't work to add a name to the middle!

*** Spreadsheet:

As usual -- to refresh the spreadsheet -> click the refresh :happy: button on your browser, or try CTRL+R then CTRL + F5 a couple of times if you are using the Windows OS, or replace the CTRL key with Command key if you are on a MAC, or, Command+R and then Command+Shift+R on a MAC. We will try to update this a few times each week, or you can always visit the Google Doc spreadsheet if you have any questions!

( --- refresh browser for latest copy --- )

March:
Mar_MFP.png

February:
Feb_MFP.png

Replies

• davemunger
    Options
    I'm doing my first-ever ultramarathon -- a 50-miler -- at the end of the month, so this will be a big month for me! However, I'm also tapering for the race so my goal is going to be the same as February: 250 miles.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I missed the boat in Feb. I'll take 165 for Mar. I've got a good chunk of racing miles and 5 full weekends.
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Just joined the group so this will be my first month participating :-)

Gonna shoot for a personal goal of 75 miles - that would be the most miles in a month for me so far in my short time as a runner

• _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Goal reached for february :)

I'll go with 130 miles for March. I'll be on taper for a week!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    70 miles. Running my second half on March 30!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I am going to shoot for 85 in March. After my Half I am going to work on increasing my running miles. I missed Feb goal by 3.50 miles due to being sick and trying to stay healthy for my race.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try for 120. I'm cutting out one day a week of running to ramp up for my upcoming triathlons so this could get interesting!
  • davemunger
    Options
    Just joined the group so this will be my first month participating :-)

Gonna shoot for a personal goal of 75 miles - that would be the most miles in a month for me so far in my short time as a runner

Welcome to the group! Looking forward to seeing you break that record!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I didn't even break 100 this month, but I'm going to try for 125 again!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Here we go. I'm going to try for 75 miles this month. Fingers crossed!
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    To everyone who didn't make it in February, you still did well! (no boats missed). We all struggled with the short month... and the fact that we only had four weekends.
    Also @ Dave: You set the bar!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    In for 150 this time! Nice to have 5 weekends this month.
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    In for 110 - that's my highest mileage goal yet! Eeep
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Posting here too (was in Feb challenge):

Need advice on increasing miles.

Signed up for 50 miles in Feb and got in over 60 so far (still plan on a run today of between 3& 5 miles).
    Would like to increase goal for March--would 10% over what I do this month be about right? I think my biggest issue is when I have a rest day it turns into 2 or 3. (used to have knee pain but that is much better).

My goals: Get ready for a trail run of 5 miles at the end of April and a 10 mile race in October.
  • davemunger
    Options

Signed up for 50 miles in Feb and got in over 60 so far (still plan on a run today of between 3& 5 miles).
    Would like to increase goal for March--would 10% over what I do this month be about right? I think my biggest issue is when I have a rest day it turns into 2 or 3. (used to have knee pain but that is much better).

My goals: Get ready for a trail run of 5 miles at the end of April and a 10 mile race in October.

Some folks suggest 10% a week as a max, which would actually end up being closer to 20% for the month. But a better approach is to increase by 10 to 15% until that is comfortable, then increase again. So my suggestion is to increase your weekly mileage 10% now, and plan on another increase sometime later in the month. Maybe shoot for 15% increase for the whole month. But taking into account the fact that March has 3 more days and an extra weekend you might even set your goal a bit higher. If you are going to end up with 63-65 miles in Feb, then maybe shoot for 75 in March?
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Aiming for 85 miles again!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    With 5 full weekends in March, my training plan says 144... but I am also changing things up a bit so I can run Couch 2 5K with my daughter, so I'm not sure how that will impact some of the miles.

Given that 126 last month was my highest ever, I'm going to stretch just a bit from there.

I'm signed up for 135
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    sounds like good advice :) Thanks!

Some folks suggest 10% a week as a max, which would actually end up being closer to 20% for the month. But a better approach is to increase by 10 to 15% until that is comfortable, then increase again. So my suggestion is to increase your weekly mileage 10% now, and plan on another increase sometime later in the month. Maybe shoot for 15% increase for the whole month. But taking into account the fact that March has 3 more days and an extra weekend you might even set your goal a bit higher. If you are going to end up with 63-65 miles in Feb, then maybe shoot for 75 in March?
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    150 for March. March is going to be big training month.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Squeezed in my last run for February tonight on the treadmill after having beer and chili for dinner at work (plus sushi and cupcakes for lunch). Oddly I felt better than I usually do when running in the evenings - go figure. This is such a nice motivator. I would definitely have just skipped it tonight had I not been determined to make my monthly goal, and I would have missed a great run!