Paleo Runners

Options
I've been eating a Paleo diet since August 2013 and was wondering if there are any other long distance runners who eat the same diet? If so what do you eat for a pre-race dinner in place of pasta?

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Me! I've been paleo about a year and a half and ran a marathon last year. Quinoa (it's a seed), sweet potatoes, and bananas are my go-tos!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've been following the "paleo" approach since March 2012 - coming up on my 2 year anniversary. :)

I am currently training for my first marathon, but have run 4 half marathons as a paleo eater. My best half marathons (time, endurance, and stamina) were achieved while following the paleo plan.

The few nights before a race, I will eat a sweet potato with dinner. Otherwise, nothing changes. I do best when I follow the more strict Whole30 framework.

Pre-race (for my halves anyway) I would eat two boiled eggs and 3 slices of bacon. That was enough to fuel me through the whole run. For the marathon, I'm not sure what I'm going to do... I've heard eggs, bacon and sweet potatoes (either hashbrowns - which are absolutely freaking amazing! or fries).
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    When is your race?
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for around a year.

I did my first whole30 in august 2013. A month of paleo in November, and I've just finished another round of whole30.

Paleo/primal is def the way I should be eating.

Ran a 21km trail run last week, and fuelled myself on 100% paleo food. And I felt so good. So I know paleo eating is def for me and my family.

It's great to see other paleo runners.

I don't eat a pre race meal like the old version of me who would have carb loaded. If anything I fat load the week prior to my race. It works for me.