Change of Taste

Options
Ksh1055
Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
Pre-surgery (my whole life) I was a huge water drinker - most of the time averaging 8 - 10 glasses a day and more in the summer. Post-surgery the water just does not taste good at all and it is a struggle for me to drink it. I started buying it but it hasn't made any difference. I've tried flavored water and that's not doing it for me either.

I would be grateful for any suggestions to help me get over this problem.

My major sources of liquid have always been in this order: Ice Water, Milk, Coffee, and Diet Juice.

Replies

• hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing the temperature? Other flavors? Rather than going the Mio/Crystal Light route, have you tried just fruit/herbs/vegetables? Many people sugest cucumber, but my favorite recipe is basil/lemongrass. I make a concentrated tea, and then water it down so its just a light taste. Added benefit is that both are growing in my yard! Parsley is different, but also good.

Do you drink herbal tea? Is there a favorite that you could make weaker? My aunt use to make use Lemon Zinger Tea as kids and called it Kool - Aid, we were none the wiser :)

The Just Lemon family (http://www.truelemon.com/) is good too, sorta like the Crystal Light stuff, but without the artifical sugar (maybe that's the taste problem?).

Maybe watering down the juice you normally drink (and save calories/carbs!)?

I was the same way, pre-surgery I drank 1-2 gallons/day (I live in FL - hot climate), and rarely anything else other than herbal tea or alcoholic beverages. I find now I almost always have to flavor it, can't drink it very cold, or very hot. I pretty much put Special K or unflavored protein + other flavoring in everything. Helps get protein in as well :) My favorite recipe of late has been 2 scoops Syntrax Nectar Medical + Whey Protein Isolate + Coco Hydro - Instant Coconut Water Electrolyte Drink + clear fiber + flavoring of choice into 24 oz of water. Its been my "bedtime" water that I drink from all night since I tend to wake up with a dry mouth from my CPAP.

Hope this helps!
  • trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    ^^Brilliant post of ideas.

I have found that since my surgery, plain water makes me nauseous, no matter the temp. I've been using Crystal Light but hate all of the artificial ingredients in it. Including sweetener. I tried lemon last week and that worked ok but not perfectly. I'm thinking of trying cucumber/mint.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions, Even though I'm not a tea drinker (coffee-now decaf), I am going to try your suggestions and see if anything works. I never would have guessed my enjoyment of fresh water would be gone.