Favorite recipes to boost your protein

Options
Mangopickle
Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
Buffalo chicken salad

Daily chef 98% fat free canned chicken
3 stick of celery diced fine
6 tbsp of Yogurt cheese
2 tsp Tabasco smoked chipotle pepper sauce or to taste.
Blend together and serve.

Serves 5, 1/4cup is 105 cals, 15 gram of protein, 4g fat.
You can make it even lower cal by using fat free Greek yogurt. My calorie count is with my own yogurt cheese (sieved Dannon plain yogurt - full fat)

Replies

• shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome - may have to make that lunch tomorrow!!
  • klh193
    klh193 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This sounds great, bc wings was one thing I was going to miss!
  • dsagel
    dsagel Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Turkey Taco Soup - found it on Pinterest - the one that includes black beans and refried beans. Was never a fan before surgery but love it now. Great way to get protein in and it is delicious!!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I make huge batches of chili that can be frozen into a bunch of family sized portions. I eat this a lot and have changed up my recipe a bit since surgery to make it higher protein.

Calico Chili
    1 chopped onion
    1 lb lean ground chicken
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1 lb pork chorizo - I will never omit this from my chili recipe, even though it's a bit high in fat because it adds a world of flavor!
    2 can rinsed black beans,
    1 can rinsed pinto beans
    1 can rinsed navy beans
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    2 tbsp chili powder
    2 tbsp cumin
    1-2 crushed dried cayenne peppers
    3-4 pints crushed tomatoes

Brown the meats with the spices, add the onion and let them get clear, then add everything else. It is super important to let this cook on low over the stove or in a crock pot for like 4-5 hours at least. It really does make a huge difference in the flavor.

To serve it I top with a small dollop of Plain 0% Fage or Chobani, and sometimes a tbsp of cheddar or co-jack. It is filling, high protein, plus has a nice dose of fiber ;)

I also often use a romaine leaf to have a "taco" and topped with cheese, Cholula, & a cherry tomato or two chopped up. I'll use one of these as the meat:

Carnitas (slow cooked, seasoned, shredded pork)
    Ground lean beef & ground lean chicken blend with seasonings (chili powder, cumin, paprika, tbsp tomato paste)
    Carne asada

One more favorite of mine is:

Chili-Lime Chicken Salad
    Boneless skinless chicken thighs heavily seasoned with chili powder plus a little salt & pepper
    Olive oil
    Lime juice
    Black Beans
    Chili powder
    Romaine lettuce
    Cholula Hot Sauce

I sauté the chicken in a little olive oil, then when almost done I pour in about 1/4 cup of lime juice (bottled works fine) and cover on medium heat. Then I remove the chicken & chop it into smaller pieces, add it back to the pan, and stir it around in the sauce that is in the pan.

While that is all happening I have a can of rinsed black beans cooking on med-low with a tsp of chili powder in them.

I just take a tiny bit of lettuce, then top it with chicken, beans, cheese, and cholula. Voila! It is amazing!! Before surgery I'd make this often and would also lightly sauté thinly slices of onion & bell peppers to add to the salad, but I really don't have room for that yet.
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I need ideas, especially family/kid friendly recipes.