Running in the rain

Options
plateaued
plateaued Posts: 199 Member
It's been raining here in Los Angeles. Not the downpour the media has been describing. Just a regular rainstorm. Couple of inches in 24 hours.

I decided to run yesterday during the rain. Regular half-marathon tee shirt, running shorts, socks and shoes . . . nothing to cover up.

Only 4 miles, but it was great! Drenched at the finish, but 30 minutes later, after a shower and dry clothes, all was good.

It was an out-and-back course so the out portion was into a strong wind and driving rain. That made running a little difficult. On the way back, though, it was like running slightly downhill, without the quad stress :)

Very few people out during the rain. Those that were, all bundled up, carrying umbrellas, made me look crazy I think. They all wanted to have a conversation. I didn't feel crazy, but maybe I was slightly.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the next storm, maybe in a few months the way this drought is going.

Replies

• mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Fun. I've run in a couple of soakers too. It made me feel like a kid outside playing in the rain.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Embrace it when it happens. I don't mind the rain. I won't run in thunderstorms, but rain I don't mind at all. If its a 40 degree rain I will do a waterproof jacket, capris and a short sleeve shirt. For summer rain, usually as little clothing as possible lol
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I live in AZ. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've ran in the rain. And it's only been in the last 3 months. I joined a gym 4 years ago to escape rain. I'm of the mentality now that I should embrace it because I never know what the weather will be on race day. A hat is necessary for me to run in the rain, to keep it out of my eyes. I also wear a tight fitting wick dry performance shirt so it doesn't get too heavy. I'm learning to enjoy running in the rain.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm of the mentality now that I should embrace it because I never know what the weather will be on race day.

^^ This

The other day it was raining and cold and the woman who was cutting my hair was surprised when I told her I was going to run that day. My response was I don't just run when it's nice out. You never know what's going to happen on race day so you better be prepared for anything.

I've had race days that were perfect but I've also had ones where it was too hot or too windy or snowing or raining or freezing or hailing.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I loved running in the rain this past summer. Cold rain, not soo much, warm rain it's wonderful.

People look at your like your nuts, but I'm sure they have never tried it. If they had, they would understand why I grin like a fool while running in warm rain.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Rain, snow, sun.....it's all good!

The only comment I have about running conditions where visibility may be less than optimal is to think about being visible.......bright, gaudy colours, reflective vests and/or even a Petzl headlamp could save your life.
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I loved running in the rain this past summer. Cold rain, not soo much, warm rain it's wonderful.

People look at your like your nuts, but I'm sure they have never tried it. If they had, they would understand why I grin like a fool while running in warm rain.

Run this morning in thunder, lightning and torrential rain, loved it. Need to make the most of it in Cyprus as it will soon be baking hot :-(
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You can't get wetter than wet!
    I don't mind pouring rain, it is the huge puddles and the splashing cars that gets to me some days.

I once did a 50km race in pouring rain. Chaffed quite bad and had to retire my shoes afterwards...but we grinned like cats on our race photos!