Options

Replies

• MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    117...kinda displeased, debating doing it again but not really sure I'd fair better with the DUs...

14.1 take 2...174. Much better! Still issues with DUs, but an improvement
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    a great improvement!
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Me too!! I'm not registered but my box is going to program the open WODs each Monday so we can all have a go.
    Once I finished the first round I thought to myself that I'd be happy with 3 rounds, and stoked with 4. Well, I was 11 reps off completing the 5th round so I'm very happy :)
    Got all DUs unbroken but the snatches got me after the 2nd round. 55lbs feels light until you have to do 15 reps!!
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    Completely agree, 55# is my warm-up weight but man it felt SOO heavy
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    130.... RX weight, did like 5 double unders scaled the rest to singles. I still can't string them together :( so annoying.
  • BitteOrca
    BitteOrca Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    180. I went in hoping for 4 rounds and finished the last rep of my last set of C&Js at the buzzer. So I'm happy.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I got 216. I tripped up on DUs more often than I usually do, but honestly I was so winded and out of breath by the 3-4th rounds. Haha, considering I do the "sport of fitness" 5-6 days a week, I feel pathetically out of shape some days!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    132 and even though it's a very low score, I am so pleased with myself! 25kg is my snatch 3RM, so to have finished almost 3 full rounds was more than I expected. I didn't know beforehand that I could have subbed C&J and gotten a better score, but I think I'm happier I did the snatches, as that was the intended movement for the WOD.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    259 reps as rx'd! Made my goal of first two rounds unbroken then started getting a little frustrated with the double unders. My forearms were toast afterwards!

Gonna give it another shot Monday most likely. Got my sights set on 300+ reps.

Make that 265 reps.
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I did not sign up but I did do the WOD. My end results were 2 full round + 6 snatches. I'm going to try it again on Monday also to see if I can improve my results.

I tried it again on Saturday and finished with 2 full round + 11 snatches. So a little better.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    So I tried it again doing singles just to get a feel for the volume. I think the guy counting for me missed an entire round but I can't be certain. I feel certain I picked up the rope four times (first time I missed once, second unbroken, third missed once, fourth missed at 28) but doing the workout you are so in the moment I have to believe I just zoned out.

So 96 doing double unders, 134 doing singles. 134 will be my test mark when I re-do this in 3 months when I have double unders locked down better.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I was doing the same until we did a WOD called Flight Simulator. 10 minutes of jump rope (doubles RX, singles scaled) where you just keep adding 10 until 100 then come back down. 10-20-30....etc.

I got up to 90 unbroken and then got 95/100. At that point I said to myself "If you can do 95 unbroken single unders the only reason you aren't doing doubles is fear and laziness."

Bought a rope and I bring it in to every WOD and do 10-15 minutes of DU practice every day. I can ALWAYS get one DU now, sometimes 2. And I'm starting to realizing that it is just about timing. When I try to string them together on the second one I'm usually whipping the rope into my legs before I even jump. So it's not that I'm too slow with the rope, it's that I'm a bit too fast. Once I get that balance figured out I'll have it.

This will be my first Crossfit "skill" that I've acquired. I have a reminder in my calender for early June to retry 14.1 with doubles. Can't wait!
    Score: 77 (2 full rounds of double-unders; 1 full round of snatches +2)

**Double-Unders have never been easy for me . . . I have been doing singles (x3) for WODs, but you can't for the Open. So I sucked it up and got through them (Rx'd) by getting done one at a time w/ even a few strung together. **Will be working on them now !!

**Snatches went great and I'd wish 14.1 called for 30 of them and 15 for the double-unders . . . a guy can dream.

Good Luck to everyone !!!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    259 reps as rx'd! Made my goal of first two rounds unbroken then started getting a little frustrated with the double unders. My forearms were toast afterwards!

Gonna give it another shot Monday most likely. Got my sights set on 300+ reps.

Make that 265 reps.

Hell yeah!
  • dswiftlift
    Options
    My score was 149. That's 3 rounds plus 14 double unders. At our box we tried it on Friday morning to see how we should string the movements together. On the Friday I got 3 rounds plus 35.. but with the pressure of everyone watching on Saturday and having to perform my double unders flawlessly really got to me. I can usually get 20+ double unders in a row.. I could only get 5-8 while being counted by the judge. I was going to redo it on Monday because I was unhappy with my score (I barely slept Sunday night worrying about it) but once I got to the gym on Monday I realized this year is my first time... and I'm not going to be making it to regionals by any means... I mean look at Samantha Briggs.. 472 reps! UNREAL!!!

I do have a goal to make it to the regionals by the time i'm 25 so I have a few years still to get to that point..

Until next time, happy fitness.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    So I tried it again doing singles just to get a feel for the volume. I think the guy counting for me missed an entire round but I can't be certain. I feel certain I picked up the rope four times (first time I missed once, second unbroken, third missed once, fourth missed at 28) but doing the workout you are so in the moment I have to believe I just zoned out.

So 96 doing double unders, 134 doing singles. 134 will be my test mark when I re-do this in 3 months when I have double unders locked down better.

I'd like to try this with singles to see how I do...just out of curiosity.

But, even though my score (94) was painfully low, I'm happy. I have not been able to string DU's together at all until this WOD (and even though I got a few strung together, it was a lot like jump, DU, jump, DU), so it was cool to do them and know I did them so I don't shy away next time. I think now when we have DUs in our regular WODs, I'm not going to scale to singles. I want to keep practicing for next year!
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My score was 149. That's 3 rounds plus 14 double unders. At our box we tried it on Friday morning to see how we should string the movements together. On the Friday I got 3 rounds plus 35.. but with the pressure of everyone watching on Saturday and having to perform my double unders flawlessly really got to me. I can usually get 20+ double unders in a row.. I could only get 5-8 while being counted by the judge. I was going to redo it on Monday because I was unhappy with my score (I barely slept Sunday night worrying about it) but once I got to the gym on Monday I realized this year is my first time... and I'm not going to be making it to regionals by any means... I mean look at Samantha Briggs.. 472 reps! UNREAL!!!

I do have a goal to make it to the regionals by the time i'm 25 so I have a few years still to get to that point..

I think your outlook is very smart and you've analyzed the situation very well. As long as I have been doing this, I still let myself get too stressed about the leaderboard. Then I remember how much more work I need to put into it and that until my endurance threshold is much higher, I just need to give it my all and have fun with it.

And simultaneously remember that I prefer strength training and that the Open will probably never play to my strengths and that it is a valuable learning experience that forces me to work on my weaknesses.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    @bostonwolf - A few crossfitters at my box suggested the same thing, which in hindsight was pretty obvious. Practice makes perfect !!! I always just scale them to singles in the WODs. So I have been practicing them all weekend and was able to string a few together. Got to the box early last night for the WOD and kept practicing them - got all sorts of advice on how to improve. The best advice was to do a d/u, then a few singles, then a d/u . . . keep repeating and soon there will be less singles and more d/u. So far it's been working well :-) I'm also plan on getting my own speed "wire" rope - it seems to make a difference.

*Good luck on your re-do of 14.1 in June !!!
    I was doing the same until we did a WOD called Flight Simulator. 10 minutes of jump rope (doubles RX, singles scaled) where you just keep adding 10 until 100 then come back down. 10-20-30....etc.

I got up to 90 unbroken and then got 95/100. At that point I said to myself "If you can do 95 unbroken single unders the only reason you aren't doing doubles is fear and laziness."

Bought a rope and I bring it in to every WOD and do 10-15 minutes of DU practice every day. I can ALWAYS get one DU now, sometimes 2. And I'm starting to realizing that it is just about timing. When I try to string them together on the second one I'm usually whipping the rope into my legs before I even jump. So it's not that I'm too slow with the rope, it's that I'm a bit too fast. Once I get that balance figured out I'll have it.

This will be my first Crossfit "skill" that I've acquired. I have a reminder in my calender for early June to retry 14.1 with doubles. Can't wait!
    Score: 77 (2 full rounds of double-unders; 1 full round of snatches +2)

**Double-Unders have never been easy for me . . . I have been doing singles (x3) for WODs, but you can't for the Open. So I sucked it up and got through them (Rx'd) by getting done one at a time w/ even a few strung together. **Will be working on them now !!

**Snatches went great and I'd wish 14.1 called for 30 of them and 15 for the double-unders . . . a guy can dream.

Good Luck to everyone !!!
  • bostonwolf
    Options

Good luck getting to regionals. Keep working on your goats and talking with your coaches about what kind of program you will need to get there and give it the best shot you can. My goal just to get more respectable next year, learn more skills and maybe by age 50 or so (the next Masters cutoff after 45) I will give it a serious run.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    @bostonwolf - A few crossfitters at my box suggested the same thing, which in hindsight was pretty obvious. Practice makes perfect !!! I always just scale them to singles in the WODs. So I have been practicing them all weekend and was able to string a few together. Got to the box early last night for the WOD and kept practicing them - got all sorts of advice on how to improve. The best advice was to do a d/u, then a few singles, then a d/u . . . keep repeating and soon there will be less singles and more d/u. So far it's been working well :-) I'm also plan on getting my own speed "wire" rope - it seems to make a difference.

Having your own rope really helps. I bought the mid-priced one on Rogue ($20)

I'm not really trying to do single double single. Just working on doubles. So far so good. Last night I was regularly getting two in a row and just missing the third. It's really just rhythm and timing. When I was focused on doing just one I was actually whipping the rope too fast. I had to learn to slow down and get the timing down. It is getting noticably easier so I will keep plugging away.

Might try the DU then single single and see how it goes.