Pikes Peak - Marathon or Ascent?!

Options
Okay fellow runners...I've got 9 days before registration opens for Pikes Peak Marathon and Ascent. I know I want to do one of them. I just don't know which one. It sells out fast, so I need to make up my mind prior to March 12th.

Here are my thoughts:

Ascent (7,815 feet gain in 13.32 miles):
-Since it's my first time, it would be nice to actually get to the top and be able to enjoy the views, and not have to worry about rushing to get back down.
-Less chance for injury.

Marathon (the ascent, plus you go back down):
-It sounds way more epic to say I did the marathon.
-I could use the long run as training for my first 50 mile ultra, which is about 45 days post-Pikes (however the ultra I'm doing doesn't have all that much gain - so that part isn't really necessary)
-Downhill isn't my strong point

So thoughts? Anyone? Bueller?

Also - for anyone new to mountain races like this - unless you're an elite (which I most definitely am not), it's pretty much a glorified power hike to the top, followed by running on the downhill sections. I did a similar race this past year, called Imogene Pass Run, which was 5,500 feet of gain in 10 miles followed by 4,500 feet of loss in 7. Not quite as difficult as Pikes - but a step in that direction.

For some reason I just can't decide what I want to do. Oh and it's also the same price to do either distance - which is also making it difficult.

Replies

• dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the downhill part, so if it were up to me, I'd do the marathon. You're going to have to get down anyway, right?!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Haha true - but for the Ascent it's via a nice comfy shuttle (although it would also probably be very stinky...as I've noticed the last couple times I've had to shuttle back with a bunch of sweaty runners crammed into a small space, lol).
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I personally would do the marathon.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    May your quads RIP

Seriously though, I'd do the marathon. If I didn't move from SD, I was going to do this one on recommendation from a friend. Go big or go home!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I vote marathon. Go all the way.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Do the one which will make you feel best about yourself. Without killing yourself of course! Running at altitude is hard, and really hard if you are not acclimated.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The only reason to run up is to run down... right? right? right? :wink: lolz Love the downhill, massage out those legs :happy:

Edited to add- missed the bit about running the ultra about a month later.. If you have been training over similar terrain I would do the marathon, if not perhaps don't chance it that close to a goal race?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am rather amazed that nobody is taking the Peak. I, myself, would much rather run a shorter distance uphill than slog along for 26 miles. That said, I would guess the training for the Pikes Peak race would be much harder to do, because you have to climb to about 14,000 feet. Do you have a way to train for altitude? If so, I would do the Peak Climb. Fewer steps = less pounding, less wear and tear.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Go all the way
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Am with the rest - go all the way and then report back here :)
  • KateRunsColorado
    Options
    I am rather amazed that nobody is taking the Peak. I, myself, would much rather run a shorter distance uphill than slog along for 26 miles. That said, I would guess the training for the Pikes Peak race would be much harder to do, because you have to climb to about 14,000 feet. Do you have a way to train for altitude? If so, I would do the Peak Climb. Fewer steps = less pounding, less wear and tear.

It's ~7800 feet of gain because you start in Manitou Springs which is already at high altitude. I live in Colorado, so I've got lot of access to mountains and high altitude :)!!!

I guess I'd say I'm mostly worried of injury on the downhill - especially since I've got an Ultra the month following. One thought I have is to do the Ascent this year, followed by the Marathon next year? Ahhh I just don't know!
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

I guess I'd say I'm mostly worried of injury on the downhill - especially since I've got an Ultra the month following. One thought I have is to do the Ascent this year, followed by the Marathon next year? Ahhh I just don't know!

That's exactly what I was going to come here to say. I think the worry would be injury on the descent, or really just tearing up your quads on the descent and losing the next couple of weeks of training.

How do you feel about that 50 mile race? Would you be okay with the Pike's Marathon ending up your "A" race for the season and then underperforming at your 50 mile? If so, the Marathon because it will be epic. If the 50 mile is a strong "A" race, then do the ascent and take the shuttle.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm tempted to just say DO THE MARATHON! But, if the 50 miler is really important to you, I'd play conservatively and do the 1/2. If it were me, I'd probably do the half. I've put a lot of training in for my 50 and I wouldn't want to end up injured...

Tough decision! Let us know what you decide!
  • KateRunsColorado
    Options
    Alright...even though it goes against most peoples recommendations, I think I am just going to do the Ascent...

The 50 Miler is important to me, and I think I will still get the same out of just doing the Ascent, than I would the marathon without potentially injuring myself prior to the 50. Plus, since I live in Colorado, I can always do the Marathon another year without much hassle.

Either way, I will still end the day feeling like a bad *kitten*...!!! :)
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Enjoy! And report back :)