Pain in hip and groin area during long runs

Looking for some advice / experience with this. I am training for my first full (May 4). I am following Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan. Everything has been going great. I am following the plan almost to the T. I have started getting this pain though. It happens around mile 14 of my long runs, and only at this time. The pain is in my hip and groin area. I can't explain it well, so my apologies. I feel like I am barely able to squeak out those last miles once it starts hurting. It's almost a soreness, and stiffness, and a little on the throbbing side.....if that makes any sense.
I usually average my runs at a 9:30 pace. I do take a couple walk breaks, and I use my time at the lights waiting for the crosswalk to stretch sometimes. Last weekend, I ran 16 and thought to myself, "how the hell am I gonna run 10 more miles with this pain?" then I took an Ice bath and felt fine.

Should I stop and stretch more often?
Do I need more strength training? (I do 1-2 30 min sessions a week)
Is this normal?

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Does the pain go away as soon as you stop running?
    Can you explain the location a little better? Is it like in the front, low abdomen area, close to where the thigh comes into your hip area, close to the privates? A little higher, like the hip flexor area? Back of the groin where it meets the hamstring?
    Do you get it on one side or both?
    Is it sore to the touch?
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Get that checked out! I went through something similar last year. The groin pain was actually from the hip labrum. The doctor didn't think I had a tear but it was definitely irritated. That could have lead to a labral tear if I kept going without therapy. I had to take two months off running and it's taken me 6 months to be pain free in that area. This type of pain can also be caused by several other things like a sports hernia or strain so have a doctor look at it.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    It goes away after the run as soon as I stretch. After that, it is just a slight soreness (from the high mileage run itself, I assume).
    The pain is close to the private area, but stretches all the way over to my hips. It's painful on both sides equally. Not sore to the touch. comes from inside.

Like I said, I ONLY get this when I do the higher mileage runs. Every other run is great. Could I be running to fast on these runs? I know they should be slower. I find it harder sometimes to run at say a 10:00 mile when 9:30 is easy and comfortable
  • erichunley
    erichunley Posts: 19 Member
    It could also be your Adductors. They are used to control and stabilize your legs. Have you changed your gait or cadence?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    On the surface, it just sounds like you are wearing out your hip flexors. Do you have a desk job? This is a common issue for runners that sit a lot.