Is it just losing weight or eating healthy?

Options
Ignaura
Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
If there's one thing I sometimes don't get about many people here on MFP is that they actually don't care/pay attention to the quality of the food they get, as long as they are "staying under". And I wonder, do people want to just lose weight or trying to live a healthy lifestyle? To me 1,500 calories of meat, veggies, nuts, whole grains and some small dessert are not the same 1,500 calories from a McDonald's jumbo burger, or whatever they serve; but it seems like for most people around here, it is just the same.

I personally believe in living a healthy lifestyle (eating healthy, exercising, etc), and if that translates into weight loss (which if does) than it's even better...

What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is deffinately more important! If you are losing weight from eating Mcdonalds, you have no idea what you are doing to your insides, high fat processed foods are terrible for you and can cause cancer. Not that I don't have a slice of pizza or french fries every once in a while, but eating that kind of stuff on the regular is really bad for you. My brother ate pizza and crap all the time and never ate veggies, and he got colon cancer at the age of 31 and died 6 months later. I wished I had done something about it sooner, maybe if I had tried to help him earlier on he would still be with us today. Eat your fruits and veggies! They could save your life! :heart:
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think everyone makes their own choices, for better or worse. There are all kinds here on MFP, just as there are offline. I have enough difficulty just making good choices for myself everyday, so I don't really worry about what other people are/aren't doing or what their motivations for being here are. I'm glad to offer support to anyone who needs it, and grateful to those who offer the same to me.
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    People want to lose the weight without changing their quality of life. To them that implies being able to eat what they want, when they want. So yes it is just losing weight for them . It is also a cultural thing. We are bombarded with these products from a young age and trained to want them. It makes it a habit that is very hard to give up. That is why you will find these items in my logging from time to time. I'm making a lifestyle change but some habits are harder to break than others. Plus there is a great convenience to it... it is fast and easy and always available.
    I want to be healthier and eat better food, however I know myself well enough, that if I don't cut myself some slack in this department. I'll probably quit my attempt and this website. Eliminating something entirely just makes me resentful. Thats why in weightloss they advocate moderation and no black/white thinking.

Everyone has their own way of getting to where they are going. I'm just a cheerleader. :drinker:
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think everyone makes their own choices, for better or worse. There are all kinds here on MFP, just as there are offline. I have enough difficulty just making good choices for myself everyday, so I don't really worry about what other people are/aren't doing or what their motivations for being here are. I'm glad to offer support to anyone who needs it, and grateful to those who offer the same to me.

^^^^^This

AND what P1xy wrote next.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    that if I don't cut myself some slack in this department. I'll probably quit my attempt and this website. Eliminating something entirely just makes me resentful. Thats why in weightloss they advocate moderation and no black/white thinking.

I think the same. I'm definitely against eliminating something completely, I am a Fruity Pebbles junkie and won't stop having it!!
    i just think that there's much more than just junk food.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options

I think the same. I'm definitely against eliminating something completely, I am a Fruity Pebbles junkie and won't stop having it!!
    i just think that there's much more than just junk food.

Exactly. There is much more than junk food and I find once I get away from it, when I do have some again I feel ill. But I won't tread on something that may allow someone else to succeed. If they can find a way to fit what they love into their macro's then that is up to them. Other than Fruity Pebbles of course. That is pure spun sugar and should be outlawed. :P
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    For me it's mostly about living healthier. Sure, I like losing weight....hell, I LOVE losing the weight. But for me, I know if I don't learn to get the most nutrition from my food choices I won't go the distance and I don't believe I would maintain the weight loss. I don't rule out any foods, but I try to find a balance so that I'm making better choices overall.

I have two ideas that I am focusing on. The first is that I can't apply a temporary solution to a permanent problem. I've a very serious problem with food. Losing weight will not resolve that problem...I have to learn to live and interact differently with food....forever.

And the other is simply No Excuses!
  • 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    For me it's mostly about living healthier. Sure, I like losing weight....hell, I LOVE losing the weight. But for me, I know if I don't learn to get the most nutrition from my food choices I won't go the distance and I don't believe I would maintain the weight loss. I don't rule out any foods, but I try to find a balance so that I'm making better choices overall.

I have two ideas that I am focusing on. The first is that I can't apply a temporary solution to a permanent problem. I've a very serious problem with food. Losing weight will not resolve that problem...I have to learn to live and interact differently with food....forever

^^^^ :heart: this
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I :heart: that Leanna!
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    ...I can't apply a temporary solution to a permanent problem. I've a very serious problem with food. Losing weight will not resolve that problem...I have to learn to live and interact differently with food....forever.

Wow. I read this and just... wow. This describes my struggle exactly. I have been a VERY naughty girl this past ... let's see, we're halfway through February, so, the last two and a half months. It didn't seem that long until I wrote it down. I had some periods where I ate really healthy, and some periods where I ate a half a dozen donuts... in a sitting. I have plans in my head for this summer, and for them to become real, I have to help myself get there.

I definitely believe it's not just about losing the weight, it's about making healthy choices as often as possible. I feel so much healthier when I eat well and not junk. And the healthy food tastes so much better!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    There are many types of people on MFP. Some people have to lose weight quickly to meet a deadline (a wedding, the beach). Others want to lose weight but don’t have the slightest idea how to go about it and are not willing to do any research. Some have no weight problems and are here for body building. Others have good intentions but get caught up in socializing and forget to achieve any weight loss. Some finally realize, after trying and failing so many times, that you have to eat a calorie deficit to lose fat, and exercise to tone up.

My problem is that I love to eat, and it IS a problem. To quote Benjamin Franklin “Eat to live, don't live to eat,” I’m definitely the second. Over the decades, I have been on every fad diet, being somewhat successful with WW, but counting points was not understanding what was happening. It took me decades of dieting and failure to realize that dieting does not work. One, it often is too restrictive and two, you can’t maintain a diet for the rest of your life, they are not sustainable. I took a series of eight cooking classes and, fortunately, they used all fresh food and organic fruits and vegetables. We started going to the Farmers Market for our fruits and veggies then I started eating Paleo for about a year. Although I no longer eat Paleo, I learned a lot of good healthy things, the most important being that this journey cannot be a diet, it has to be a lifestyle change that you live for the rest of your life.
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I am a great fan of science. But I would far rather be happy than right.

Although I have expressed some frustration about my recent plateau elsewhere, the fact that my backslide remained a plateau and not a 20 pound holiday set of new lumps and bumps is because I HAVE changed my lifestyle...and I didn't even notice it happen.

I walk A LOT now. I don't think twice about it. I started by accidentally making a waking a habit, then I added a dog and made it a duty as well.

And while I don't ever expect to be one of those guys who lives to exercise, loves sports, and eats nothing but low fat macrobiotic unicorn steaks and organic fair trade kale chips, I have become a guy who enjoys his walkies, isn't afraid of a little sweat now and again, and who does not fear the salad bar anymore.

I'm different now than I was a year ago. I like it. I like it a lot. But I still love french fries, potato chips, and a good burger and an ice cold Coca Cola. The difference is these things are now rationed individually, and not served routinely as a lunch menu. And when they ARE treats, they are portion controlled... mostly.
  • terrainstar
    terrainstar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For me there are weeks where i will eat 90% clean other weeks where i am eating 45% clean
    my intention is to get to a balance where i am eating 75 % or more clean all the time
    I will never "diet" again, I am working on eating healthy because I know that i lose weight easily when i do
    everyone needs to find their own way of making a healthy lifestyle work for them
    for some people it means eating big macs for lunch every day and for others its a salad
    what matters is that we are all trying to take care of ourselves in the best way we can at this point in time
    finding the way to do that best is not always an easy thing to do
    but as long as we all support each others success and support one another in our bad moments
    we will be doing ok