NSAIDS

Options
Shannie312
Shannie312 Posts: 46 Member
Just curious what you all were told as far as NSAID use after surgery. My doctor wants us to avoid using them but I see others were told it is ok. I have a neck injury that flares up maybe once a year and in the past I used Aleve, ibuprofen and muscle relaxers. It is bothering me right now and I am taking Tylenol and lortab elixir and a heating pad. Regular Tylenol really isn't doing anything and the lortab knocks me out :(

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My surgeon would like me to avoid them. I use them sparingly. I take ibuprofen on occasion. I'll use extra strength Tylenol if possible. All NSAIDS can cause GI Bleeds, which can pose unique challenges for sleeve patients. One or two doses likely will not cause harm, but regular use is not a good idea. (My opinion only...)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    NSAIDs require the surface area of a whole stomach to avoid damage. I know 3 pts who developed NSAID colitis. More than 3 yrs later not a one is completely cured, having occasional flares of bloody stools. I would recommend you look into pain patch possibilities and possibly acupuncture or TENS units. I stick with 650mg of Tylenol. This is a big motivator to me to get to my ideal wt because the really great arthritis meds are no longer a possibility for me. They really are serious, high dose over the counter NSAIDs are a really bad idea.
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was told to avoid them completely.
  • Syndigutez5
    Syndigutez5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My Surgeon also said to avoid NSAIDS completely as well, they cause stomach problems .
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I was told to avoid them completely.
  • Shannie312
    Shannie312 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. After a day or two of rest I will be fine and since it is so seldom a problem the Tylenol should do the trick. I have no intention of going against Drs. orders, I've worked too hard for that!
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My surge told me absolutely NO on NSAIDS and in particular Steroids. I have lung issues and the only combination that seems to be working the last couple of years is a shot each of antibiotic and steroids, prescriptions for Heavy Duty Antibiotic and Prednisone (steroid). I am just getting over a bought of this, told my family Dr. what my surgeon told me, and was told there is no substitute for Steroids and gave me a shot of them and also 4-50mg pills.

To keep my record and surgeon up-to-date, I sent her office a message of my lung problem and treatment given. Needless to say, she WAS NOT HAPPY and had me send all reports/tests of that visit to her for review. she has known about my lung issues and the treatments I receive since the beginning of my weight loss process last fall and talked about them on several occasions. She has told me that the use of Steroids can be life threatening. This issue was treated 3 weeks post-op. I tend to get these at least 4 -5 times a years.