Fat Tuesday

Options
DJRonnieLINY
DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
For those of us that are post op it's "Not So Fat Tuesday" and for the pre-ops it's "My Last Really Fat Tuesday" but either way - enjoy the last day before Lent!! (Guiness beer is low on carbonation)

As for Lent - a Priest whom I respected a great deal once advised that we should never give up anything that we plan on resuming becasue the real reson we sacrifice something is to improve ourselves. So in recent years I have endeavored for more lasting improvements.

I have tried specific forgiveness (sometimes successfully)
Last year I resolved to get my health under control.
This year (a bit pre-lent) I resolved to engage in an active, healthy fitness plan in order to strengthen my new body.

What, if anything, do you plan on giving up this Lent?

Replies

• trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    I see where that Priest was coming from. However, I also see the value in even temporary sacrifice if the point is to focus on the sacrifice that lead to the Lenten season in the first place. If every time you're desiring what you're not having during Lent you turn that desire to thoughts on the ultimate sacrifice then I think that's perfectly reasonable and also in the spirit of the season.

That said, I'm using this season to add, not take away. I will still generate focus on meditative and prayerful aspect of the season but just with a different take.

1) I'm going to mindfully do at least one thing a day to better the world my family lives it. Whether it be a random act of kindness to a stranger, a donation to a charity, a game with the family, organizing the kid's bathroom, doing their chores for a day....whatever.

2) I'm committing to daily exercise during Lent. I hope this carries beyond but I do need to generate a better workout habit.

I like this thread idea. Happy Mardi Gras. Laissez les bons temps rouler.