Indecisive, What Would You Do?

Options
EllieB_5
EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
This will most likely sound utterly retarded, but I need to ask anyway:

I have a lot of dizziness and nausea, most likely from meds as no physical cause has been found. This can cause severe nausea and uncontrollable vomiting if I eat normal sized portions or the wrong types of food. On one hand I love the fact it helps me regulate my diet, on the other hand it can impede the rest of my life. I use to take a med (Dicetel) that allowed me normal eating plus there are a lot of pharmaceutical antiemetics out there to choose from. My dilemma comes from this: do I take a pharmaceutical thus having issues with portion control, or do I not take a pharmaceutical for the portion control but have to deal with nausea and dizziness in every other aspect of my life. Willpower is not a factor as I have none when it comes to food; so poor is my willpower over food that I actually have to ask this question :p

Replies

• grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would suggest is to not use the word "retarded". That is extremely belittling to people with disabilities.
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would suggest is to not use the word "retarded". That is extremely belittling to people with disabilities.

Thank you. My younger sister is special needs and I hate that word. I literally cringe when I hear someone say it or even read it.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    To your original question, is it possible to take the meds part of the time and not everyday? Then you'd have some days with relief and some days with less appetite. A compromise so to speak.
  • SunVegan8
    SunVegan8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just because it has not been discovered why you have those symptoms does not mean it's for sure the meds. Have you tried other meds maybe? Food allergies, or fructose intolerance could cause the symptoms you mentioned. Both difficult to diagnose. One must do an elimination diet to discover it that would be the case. That's just off the top of my head. Have you tried a Naturopathic practioner - they think differently than Allopaths?
    If I vomit the pain gets out of control instantly, so, I imagine it does not do you any good either. Nausea..... well, I wouldn't mind a little nausea, it would help me keep the calories down, but, vomiting.....Yikes. I'm sorry this is happening to you. Good health to you.
  • EllieB_5
    Options

Thank you. My younger sister is special needs and I hate that word. I literally cringe when I hear someone say it or even read it.

re·tard·ed
    [ri-tahr-did]
    adjective
    characterized by a slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development, academic progress, etc.
    Slang. stupid or foolish.

I have a niece that is severely mentally disabled; she is capable of understanding the difference between the slang meaning of retarded vs the actual meaning of retarded and is capable of understanding that the slang meaning doesn't describe her impairments but the ACTUAL meaning does. Being severely mentally disabled she is also quite capable of explaining the difference to people as well as standing up for herself when someone calls her retarded IN A DEROGATORY FASHION. Considering she has such a great understanding of these things better than those not labelled as mentally disabled makes me seriously question the state of our species. If you decide to be offended by a word used CORRECTLY that is your issue to deal with, not mine. I will continue to use a word that I am using CORRECTLY and you can deal with your own ignorances and insecurities surrounding the actual meanings of this word.
  • EllieB_5
    Options
    To your original question, is it possible to take the meds part of the time and not everyday? Then you'd have some days with relief and some days with less appetite. A compromise so to speak.
    Just because it has not been discovered why you have those symptoms does not mean it's for sure the meds. Have you tried other meds maybe? Food allergies, or fructose intolerance could cause the symptoms you mentioned. Both difficult to diagnose. One must do an elimination diet to discover it that would be the case. That's just off the top of my head. Have you tried a Naturopathic practioner - they think differently than Allopaths?
    If I vomit the pain gets out of control instantly, so, I imagine it does not do you any good either. Nausea..... well, I wouldn't mind a little nausea, it would help me keep the calories down, but, vomiting.....Yikes. I'm sorry this is happening to you. Good health to you.

Thanks for your replies :) Turns out we have a new mystery surrounding this issue. My doc started me on clonazepam to subdue my PTSD rages and it has also eliminated the dizziness and nausea :/ It has also reduced my appetite to around 1100 calories a day; that could be a good trade off if my appetite wasn't so freaking low atm. Clonazepam is also an anti-seizure med which makes me wonder... it works by decreasing the activity in the brain. So ya. Dizziness, nausea, and appetite are under control ftm; we'll see what the future brings.