Pregnant 5k?

Options
KF1216
KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
Hey mamas,
I was really big into running over the last 2 years and did a few 5ks. I really slacked off for about 6 months before getting pregnant and have only gone for slow jogs 1-2 times a month since getting pg. It's starting to get nicer out though and I know when it gets warmer I'm going to want to be running more. I'm 20 weeks now and I'm considering training to do a 5K this spring when I'd be closing in on my 3rd trimester. Has anyone else done a 5K while pregnant? Anyone planning on it?

Replies

• mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but my friend is and she has done a 5K while preggo. She was running every day up to getting pregnant and ran after getting preggo until she reached her 3rd trimester. She said it was hard at the end. I would talk it over with your doctor and listen to your body.
  • KF1216
    Options
    I would def go slow and aim to finish the race, rather than aiming for a speed goal.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! I did a 5k at 18 weeks and again at 28 weeks, without problems. I'm definitely not much of a runner and didn't "train" at all but was able to easily alternate jogging and walking. Had I gone out a couple times before each one, I have no doubt I would have chosen to run the whole thing. If you half to walk, no biggie :) I see plenty of very pregnant women running 5k's and halfs when I'm at various events.
  • saintpaulJess
    saintpaulJess Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey Kelli, I'm in almost the exact same place you are - 21 weeks pregnant, history of running races here and there, but lately have barely managed a couple runs a month. My husband and I are running a 5k in two weeks and my goal is just to finish. I signed up for it because I knew it would keep me running, at least now and again, and would be a good way to start the spring. I will likely sign up for another one in May or June, so a similar timeframe. I say go for it!
  • KF1216
    Options
    Hey Kelli, I'm in almost the exact same place you are - 21 weeks pregnant, history of running races here and there, but lately have barely managed a couple runs a month. My husband and I are running a 5k in two weeks and my goal is just to finish. I signed up for it because I knew it would keep me running, at least now and again, and would be a good way to start the spring. I will likely sign up for another one in May or June, so a similar timeframe. I say go for it!

good luck!!
    I just looked online and there's a Maple Run in town May 4th, I think that would be a nice time of year. I'd be...what...yikes 28 weeks by then? Will make for a good story for baby boy ;-)
  • vlmcwilliams
    vlmcwilliams Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I ran a half marathon right before getting pregnant and have done very little running since then but am planning on doing round the bays (8.5km) this weekend - I will be 17 weeks at that point. Its amazing that even though I haven't done much running since being pregnant, I can still definitely run albeit at a much more moderate pace than what I was used to. On my first run in ages I managed 7km easily, took a while but was not uncomfortable at all.

I say go for it as long as you listen to your body and don't push it too hard. You can always stop and walk if needed :)
  • Superpowered
    Superpowered Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I ran a (slow) half-marathon at 10 weeks, and 2 x 5 km in a relay about a month later, but I had been running consistently before getting all knocked up. I found this book to be a great resource: http://www.amazon.ca/Exercising-Through-Pregnancy-James-Clapp/dp/1936374331 -- I suggest checking it out THEN and chatting with your midwife or doctor.

If you do sign up for a run, maybe aim for second trimester? (Solely because it's harder to not pee yourself later on ; )
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k about a year ago (pre-pregnancy) and was passed by a pregnant women the last 15-20 feet! I saw her at the beginning of the race and was wondergin how far along she was. Well, when she passed me (I ran it in 26:43) I just HAD to ask her how far along she was. Come to find out, she was 38 weeks along! She was in her late 30's and had been running for over 15 years and did the same with all three of her pregnancies. How's that for motivation?? I started to ease up on the pace of my runs from the beginning of my prenancy (am now 17 weeks) and continue to maintain around a 9-10 min/mile. If you continue to run throughout your pregnancy, there is no reason (aside from health issues) NOT to continue to run. Just listen to your body =)