What are you biggest challenges

Options
Hi all,

I see that this group is starting to die a slow death; so I thought I'd do my part to try to resurrect it. What do you see as your biggest challenge?

Mine is just trying to put me first.

When my husband goes to gym, he grabs his bag and walks out the door. When I go to gym, I first need to back the boys bags; make sure that the baby is settled with the babysitter. Make sure that my workout (including warm-up) is no more than an hour, and that there is no more than a 2 hour disruption to the boys' day (including travel). It's so much easier to just say, "This is too much trouble, let's just stay at home." What I'm starting to learn now is to say, "This is Mommy's time. You will get your turn again when I'm finished."

What about you?

Replies

• EveyRose
    EveyRose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting here, I just joined this group so maybe we can get it jump started again.

I totally have the same issue you do of not putting myself first. This is something I have struggled with my entire adult life. I grew up in a family where we did what Dad wanted to first and sometimes my mom would be bad and sneak us treats "as in anything dad was against" when he was gone of shift work.

I literally caught myself yesterday offering the TV in the living room to my hubby when he got in from work when I was playing a a video game. He didn't ask me to I just did it automtically becaseu soemwhere in my brain its wired that that is what he'd want me to do. when infact he didn't care either way he just wanted to be home and sit down and eat.

So for starters I need to stop thinking I need to cater to others on everything and figure out when its important to put them first adn when its important to put me first.

Here's to a better future
  • SlenderSelah
    Options
    I think it becomes a lot easier to factor in "me" time when your children are older, the first five years are chaotic and hectic but once they are in school and independent it's much easier. I have never had a problem claiming me time, try remember that happy moms make happy babies.

My biggest challenge is self control. Once I have one cookie I have to finish the pack, once I have the first bite of chocolate it's over! Portions are also a big issue, I love to munch my way through vast tracts of food.
  • k8w811
    k8w811 Posts: 14
    Options
    Biggest challenges....

Getting discouraged when I don't see results.

Right now I have two kids at home who nap so while they are napping I find myself eating from boredom. I'm aware of it and tracking my calories really helps.

And it's not a challenge yet, but I'm worried I'll get bored/frustrated and stop tracking. So let's keep this group going!
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just transitioned to working from home full-time to be more available before and after school. My biggest challenge is that when everything I need is within 10 steps, I don't move much every day. I know that the more I move, the more likely I am to make better food choices. The ridiculous weather hasn't helped with being active either...but it's in the 60's today!!! ;)
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    ProjectYummyMummy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Great sharing, everyone.

So what are some of your strategies to overcome this?
  • k8w811
    k8w811 Posts: 14
    Options
    Keeping track off how many calories come from my 'bored' eating has really helped me stop. I'm better at gauging just how hungry I really am.
  • SheilahAnne
    Options
    My Greatest Challenge is the Weekends!! The weekend is when I give the treadmill a break, and when I want have a few drinks and muchies with my husband while we watch our favourite show. These are simple things I want to be able to enjoy without guilt. I also fear I won't lose that 30lbs of baby weight if I don't cut out this weekend fun.
  • JellyBelly1978
    JellyBelly1978 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    staying motivated and sticking with it. I will exercise, improve my diet and see results. I feel and look better. Then I'll have an off day, which becomes a week, then a month :/
    Then I start over and the pattern repeats. I don't know why I can't make this a lifestyle change. I want it, but I guess I just don't want it enough.
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    ProjectYummyMummy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My Greatest Challenge is the Weekends!! The weekend is when I give the treadmill a break, and when I want have a few drinks and muchies with my husband while we watch our favourite show. These are simple things I want to be able to enjoy without guilt. I also fear I won't lose that 30lbs of baby weight if I don't cut out this weekend fun.

I just had a terrible weekend, too. But it was mostly the high-carb kids food. They need so much energy food, those little guys.
  • KLUNCAPHER
    KLUNCAPHER Posts: 1
    Options
    First time posting- hope I'm doing this right!
    I'm a working Mom, and am going back to school so squeezing in workout is hard. I just started power walking on my lunch breaks (with a book on tape, so it's like a vacation in my mind...). On my days off, I load up the double stroller (mine are 2yrs old and 8 months old) and go to the park- making sure to hit hills along the way. The Fitbit has been my biggest motivator to stay moving. About once a week, I get out for a run by myself and it feels so good! Still a ways to go, but I have noticed a decent change in the way clothes are fitting.

Anyone else have good ideas on how to squeeze in a workout with little ones in tow? I swear, my gym pages me the second anyone cries or poops...which for us is quite often. grrr....