Destress alternatives

Options
DragonflyF15
DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
Trying new ways to unwind at the end of the day.

For myself, I find a short 20 minute walk can clear the head out.
Yoga works too.
Hot tub.
Reading.
Listening to relaxing music and not doing anything but listening.
Herbal teas.

Replies

• DragonflyF15
    Options
    Found this article today:

Wired? Amped up? Stressed out? With the ever increasing popularity of the energy drink movement and our society’s non-stop pace, there eventually had to come a yin to the yang. Previously, the only solution one might have at their disposal to slow down was alcohol, tea, or medication. Introduce the anti-energy or relaxation drink. Now, more than ever are there endless options to help kickback and wind down after that stressful day at work or school. With so many options it can be confusing what exactly you’re getting with these drinks. This article is to help serve as a reference to the many different ingredients they can contain and the usefulness or actions each provide.

L-theanine

L-theanine is an amino acid primarily found in tea. It is also available as a single supplement or an additive to a few relaxation drinks. It has been considered for its potential ability to reduce mental and physical stress, improve cognition, and boost mood as studied in articles by Nutritional Neuroscience and The Journal of Medicinal Food. There are very few reported side effects of L-theanine when used at recommended doses.

Valerian

Valerian as a dietary supplement is prepared from the roots of the plant. Valerian root is purported to possess sedative and anxiolytic effects although there has been many conflicting reviews in medical research literature if it is indeed effective in treating insomnia. Large doses may result in stomach ache, apathy, and a feeling of mental dullness or mild depression. Because of the herb’s tranquilizer properties, it may cause dizziness or drowsiness. Many relaxation drinks on the market contain this herb.

Melatonin

Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone found in humans. Products containing melatonin have been available over-the-counter in the United States since the mid-1990s and it has gained wide popularity as a supplement to help facilitate sleep. Melatonin appears to cause very few side-effects in the short term, up to three months, when healthy people take it at low doses. The most common side effects reported are next-day grogginess and irritability.

Kava

Native to the western Pacific islands, the Kava plant is known around the globe for its calming properties. The plant has been scientifically proven to aid in the management of anxiety. In a 2003 study published in the Cochrane Databases of Systematic Reviews, it was found that the kava plant was an effective symptomatic treatment for anxiety disorders.
    According to the National Institutes of Health, the Kava plant was historically used as a means to both treat insomnia and help people fight fatigue. It was also used to treat asthma, urinary tract infections and as an anesthetic.
    Today, in addition to its use as a relaxing agent, kava has been found as an effective alternative to alcohol. It is known to create a euphoric calming state while not disrupting mental clarity.
    In 2002 advisories were brought about that certain kava extracts may be harmful to the liver. Upon further analysis it was found that many of the reports lacked adequate clinical information to substantiate them. In a 2009 study by the University of Queensland, Australia, researchers found the study’s participants did not show any signs of potential liver damage, contrary to concerns that were prompted in 2002. It is also notable to add that German researchers estimated reported side effects at .008/million doses i.e. 1 per 125 million.

Summary

In summary, it is always important to conduct your own research before taking any new supplement. Always consult your doctor if you are unsure or if you are taking any medication that may interact with its ingredients. Enjoy! Take your relaxation seriously and responsibly!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I run run run! I light candles. Hot tub is total stress reliever although I havent used mine in over a year. That sounds like a great idea. I might use mine tonight.
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    Are you an emotional drinker? I read this article today about emotional eating, I think alot of the same concepts could be applied to drinking.

"Food brings us joy and is part of many celebrations, and it indeed can be a positive part of your day in harder times. But relying on food to fill a void or improve a problem will likely leave you feeling unsatisfied (and it won’t make those issues go away, either). No quick tip can help you solve emotional eating—it takes time and effort. But these suggestions can get you started:

Keep a journal: Many are familiar with writing down what they eat, say, when trying to lose weight. But jotting down your meals and snacks, along with how you felt when you ate and what was happening at that time, may help you more clearly see patterns of emotional eating. For example, you may notice that you always eat ice cream after you squabble with your partner. Knowing this, vow to take a walk after a spat instead.

Check in with yourself: Before you eat, ask yourself: Where does this hunger originate, my head or my stomach? If the answer is the former, consider what you really need at that moment. Talking with a caring friend or watching a funny television show is sure to be more helpful than some cheese puffs.

Look for other ways to control stress: Yoga, tai chi and meditation are all relaxation tools that can help keep you calm, which may make it easier to avoid turning to food for stress management.

Stay busy: Have go-to activities to turn to when you find yourself twiddling your thumbs. Head to the gym, run errands or dust the living room. Eating out of sheer boredom is a lot less likely if you have something occupying your attention."