first trail race

Options
I signed up for a local trail half marathon this saturday. I don't have trail experience but it was a cheap local race so i thought i would give it a shot. Trail running is very popular where we live and we moved her fairly recently so its something i have an interest in trying out. Just wanted to see any experiences or suggestions from people experienced in trails. There are only two aid stations on the course so I have a hydration pack i plan to take.

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Just take it slow and keep your eyes on the trail. If you have steep uphill sections, take small steps more on your forefoot and pump your arms to help move forward. Anything really steep, just walk it. Downhills are tricky and sometimes dangerous - keep your arms a bit lower and out further from your sides to help maintain balance. Keep the downhill stride short with smaller steps to reduce the impact on your knees. You may or may not need trail shoes depending on how technical the trail is. Many trails I run on would be fine with regular running shoes, assuming it is dry. If it's wet, the deeper lugs on trail shoes will come in handy. And some, but not all trail shoes have a rock plate so you don't beat up your feet too much on rocky surfaces.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Don't be surprised when you get sore in unusual places. Trail running uses different muscles for stabilization. Watch your footing and try not to get lost.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!!! David, getting lost is my biggest fear!!! I did ask at the local running store and they said my road shoes should be ok for this one.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    On the getting lost bit, carry a copy of the trail map with you. Race staff will do their best to mark the trail but course markers can be vandalized or you miss a turn or you get incorrect directions from a day use hiker. You have to try really hard to get lost in a road race. You can easily do that in a trail race just by spacing out momentarily. Also just because someone else is going in that direction doesn't mean it's the right one. I've flagged down my fair share of runners who were just following a train.

Depending on the course layout and how popular the race is you may not see a soul (or very few of them) except at the start and finish. If you are someone that needs 50,000 people screaming at you for support this may prove challenging. On the other hand, you can also enjoy the serenity of nature, fresh air and some peace and quiet.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Don't be surprised when you get sore in unusual places. Trail running uses different muscles for stabilization. Watch your footing and try not to get lost.

+1
    I was seriously peg-legging after mine
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

+1
    I was seriously peg-legging after mine

Yep, so true. For the past few months I have been doing one-legged balance exercises 3x a week. Now I am getting good at doing them with my eyes closed. That has helped my lower leg stabilization tremendously and no soreness at all after trail runs.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Look a bit ahead of you on the ground for obstacles, pick up your feet, and have a great time! Trail running is such fun!
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Overall race was pretty good, don't have too much to complain about considering I've only ever done road races. It wasn't too much of a trail for some as it was a lot of dirt/gravel roads but for me it was a big change. I actually enjoyed the rugged climb and descent the most. My worst 1/2 time but i actually finished 27 out of 38 so not as bad as i thought. Plus it was a challenge for me as i've only ever done races with thousands and thousands of people so being pretty much alone on the trail was a personal experience. There are lots of 5k and 10 trail runs here so i think i will keep working at some smaller races and in time will feel confident for an ultra!!
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a taste of the trail running bug :) Congrats!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Overall race was pretty good, don't have too much to complain about considering I've only ever done road races. It wasn't too much of a trail for some as it was a lot of dirt/gravel roads but for me it was a big change. I actually enjoyed the rugged climb and descent the most. My best 1/2 trail time and i actually finished 27 out of 38!. Plus it was a challenge for me as i've only ever done races with thousands and thousands of people so being pretty much alone on the trail was a personal experience. There are lots of 5k and 10 trail runs here so i think i will keep working at some smaller races and in time will feel confident for an ultra!!

Fixed it for you. Trails =/= road races. You have a road PR and a trail PR - two completely different animals :)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    alone on the trail was a personal experience.

That is a big part of the pleasure I get from trails