Adjusting my WL goal expectations

Options
mcastgirlnc
mcastgirlnc Posts: 23 Member
Veterans did you find that you had to do this? I'm almost at my first goal of 180lbs (woohoooo), I kept telling everyone that I don't really have an ultimate goal but in my head I had been thinking 130lbs. Well at 183.4 (as of this morning) I don't really think 130 would be a good look for me. I would look like the an emaciated child and that's not attractive!!!!

How have you come to terms with a goal change and make your head accept that it's just a number? All along I was really thinking 130 but now I'm thinking 150 which would be about 80 some pounds but not the 100 I originally wanted. My brain is having a hard time accepting my body :)

Replies

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my thinking to "Fitness". Back in January I hired a Personal Trainer to help guide my workouts. I figured that since I had hired a Nutritionist, Surgeon, Cardiologist etc. it made sense to have my physical training supervised as well.

Well - my body is transforming but my weight loss has slowed. Muscle gain will offset fat loss but you will see very positive changes. Smaller waist sizes, better proportions, stronger. The number on the scale now means less to me than what I, and others, are seeing.

In the end the WSS is a tool to help you get to a healthy life whatever the ending scale number is. You will know what weight you are comfortable at when you get there. Keep up the great work.
  • DrSchmincke
    DrSchmincke Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great advice!:smile:
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    DjRonnieLINY, said it all with that post. Great advise. I have recently adjusted my goal as well I wanted to lose 170lbs but after loosing the first 87lbs I think losing about 140lbs will look better on me with my frame. I am still 54 lbs out from my goal but I know I will make it.
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Mcastgirlnc - I say wait till you see what you want to see!

I too had a goal of losing 80 pounds. But after speaking with my psych. doc, he said that "you don't want to look too skinny and boney - You want to look healthy".

So I reevaluated my goal weight from 145-150 to 160. I remember when I was 160 and I was a solid 8 and happy with the way i looked.

See how you look as you loose the weight. Then govern your goal weight into maintenance.

I am going into my pre-op diet on the 14th. Getting sleeved on the 27th.
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    of course you will Shonreico, good luck.
  • mcastgirlnc
    Options
    Good Luck Capecodgirl50!
  • mcastgirlnc
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone, this scale thing is such mental issue for me like no other. It's not about the scale really since a scale can not tell me how "healthy" I really am and I could be "skinny" and still want to die when I walk up 8 flights of stairs lol
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I am adjusting lower because my original goal was 180. I am now going for 145. Closer to a normal BMI for my ht. I don't want to have a stroke like all the other women in my family after age 60. My main goal , honestly is to die of old age instead of vascular disease. For me that means a normal BMI is important, how I " look" is not important. My 1st 35 yrs wrecked my body, I need to do what I can to fix it.