First time juicing...any advice?

Options
DaniKaren
DaniKaren Posts: 79 Member
My juicer is on its way. I ordered an Omega Masticating Juicer from Amazon and I'm excited to get started.

I'm planning to do all juice for 3-10 days (depending on how long I can last) and then doing juice each day for breakfast.

What advice do you have for someone who has never juiced?

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I wrote a fairly detailed post about my experience juicing. It's here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1163361-my-experience-with-juicing

There's also quite a few other posts with people's experience in them.

If you have any other questions, ask away. :smile:
  • Fruit4dessert
    Fruit4dessert Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the good advice you'll find in other MFP threads around here, and on the internet in general, I will add that one thing that keeps me drinking fresh juice every day is to take breaks from juicing at home, by buying fresh pressed juice (NOT pasteurized) from juice bars at least a few days a week. It's only slightly more expensive than buying all the organic produce to make your own. For example, the other day I made about 45 oz. of juice using $12 worth of organic produce. With that same $12, I can buy a 32-oz. container of fresh green juice from a local juice bar... without the grocery shopping, washing, chopping, juicing, and cleaning the juicer.

If you are super motivated to do the 3 to 10 day juice fast, you can probably deal with cleaning your juicer over and over and not burn out. But for the long haul, it really does get old, and buying fresh juice is a nice way to keep up with drinking juice. Of course you have to live in a city that has at least one juice bar (I live in Portland OR and there are at least four companies with multiple locations so I'm lucky). I have a Breville centrifugal juicer and it is very easy to clean, but still! I get so tired of it! Btw I am not juice fasting right now; I did for several days earlier this month. I am currently eating very clean (Eat to Live) and drinking about 32 oz. of veggie juice per day.

Another thing: I juice a lot at once, and drink it within 24 hours, rather than juice several times a day. Again, this is to save on cleaning up every time I want to drink some juice. The juice may have lost some nutrients when I'm drinking it the next day, but I figure it's still better than if I never had the juice at all, right?

Just my 2 cents! Good luck!
  • DaniKaren
    DaniKaren Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. :)
  • Mayra_121
    Mayra_121 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hey DaniKaren:

I am doing a 5 day juice fast the 1st week of Feb... I had done a 30 day juice fast in July and I have to admit I don't know how on earth i was able to last that long but the most important thing is that it is indeed possible. I did do some research on different reviews before I had started just so I would have an idea what to expect.

I noticed that most people would have low energy, crankiness, headaches with is completely normal since your body is doing a detox. When I did my first fast I did notice some of those symptoms... but also what was really hard for me was the fact that even though I was drinking 6 juices a day+water and herbal tea I would experience bad hunger pains. Because your body is adjusting to the fact of not eating solid foods. I have to admit that the first week was pretty but if you find the will power to overcome it, it does get easier.

Like Fruit4dessert I did find it easier to make all my juices for the day at once, so I didn't have to clean as much and because it is just easier to stick with the juicing once all the juices are already at hand. Good luck with your juice fast!
  • FJHutch
    FJHutch Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I watched the film tonight and am finally taking the plunge and giving it a go. The book and juicer have been ordered and I am planning to go for a 10 day juice fast to start with.
    Excited to get going :)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I watched the film tonight and am finally taking the plunge and giving it a go. The book and juicer have been ordered and I am planning to go for a 10 day juice fast to start with.
    Excited to get going :)

Good luck. Keep us posted. :bigsmile:
  • Lauraleeburgess
    Lauraleeburgess Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Today is my day two - I got on the scale this morning and I was 5lbs lighter! I am very motivated from that alone. I love everything about juicing! I did it last year for about 20 days and lost 20lbs, but then it was 4th of July and everything fell apart with vacations and parties. : ( I think Juicing solves many medical issues - in fact there is a documentary being made following 6 patients that go to Gerson and use juice to heal instead of Chemo. I am excited to see it. Feel free to add me as a friend - I would love to compare results. I have 60 pounds to lose to be in a "normal" BMI - but the last time I was that weight was 6th grade, so I am not sure it is a reasonable goal.
  • Tofteberg
    Tofteberg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One nice thing with your omega juicer. You can make enough juice for two days at once. This is because that crushing style of juicer doesn't oxygenate the juice like the other style of juicer. I put my juice in glass ball jars in the fridge and grab and go! It is also super easy to clean, makes great banana whips and nut butter. I sound like a commercial. I don't live anywhere near a juice bar so I sometimes will grab a naked juice if I'm on the road I found that a 10 day juice only was the longest I could go. Currently I juice or smoothly once a day and eat healthy the rest of the time. When I plateau, I juice only for a day or two. Seems to be working. Lastly, don't listen to all the people that will tell you juicing is bad for u and the weight loss is unsustainable (including many people on this site)! Enjoy