Protein powders

Options
lva616
lva616 Posts: 6 Member
What protein powders does everyone use? My surgery is scheduled for July and I'm trying to get used to my new habits now!

Replies

• shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used the Syntax while in the pre and post op phases...come in lots of flavors and don't taste too bad as far as protein powders go!:yawn:
  • lva616
    lva616 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Premier protein snack shakes. But have to say my go to drink is now Kroger carbmaster skim milk. 11g of protein and only 60 calories per cup. 2c gives you 22g protein and 80% of your calcium for the day all while keeping your calories very low. Also has iron and vitamin A. All for around $3, that's 37.5 cents per serving which is cheaper than the cost per serving of many protein powders.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My Unjury protein powder was more than a dollar a serving for 21g of protein and after the surgery I couldn't stand the taste of it. But I can drink skim milk all day long
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I like Isopure and Advocare BUT you should purchase small amounts of different brands to try first. Your taste will change. The Hospital will start you on a couple of different ones and give you a few to take home. Try small before you buy.

I also am fond of Isopure clear protein drinks. 20g of protein, 20 oz of fluid. Easyto sip during all day when you are transitioning from liquids to, softs to solids. Ensures you get enough protein.
  • golconda
    golconda Posts: 14
    Options
    I also went with Syntrax but I found that I liked the taste early on and it got more awful. I would recommend that you get a good vanilla protein powder and then buy some sugar free Torani syrups to have things like Vanilla Caramel or Vanilla Mint since there are some good sugar free syrups out there. Mixing things up for me made it so much easier.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Note what MangoPickle and DJRonnieLINYsaid. Many people report taste changes after surgery, so don't stock up on a lot of a product before hand.

That being said, I too use Premier Nutrition from Costco. I hate the Vanilla flavor, but like the Chocolate with the occasional Strawberry thown in. (The Strawberry flavor is very sweet so can't do those all the time.)
  • chiwookc
    chiwookc Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi everyone, i just joined and am having my surgery March 11! I typically drink the Premier Protein from Sams Club, if you have one in your area. it has 30g of protein and really doesn't taste bad. Chocolate is my favorite, vanilla not so much.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to add things to your powder to enhance the flavor. Vanilla extract, almonds, peanut butter, bananas, apples, cinnimon. I experiment to keep things fresh. Just remember to log everything into MFP (best habit to develop)
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I use Six Star Whey Isolate Protein Elite Series in Decadent Chocolate mixed with skim milk- both pre and post-op. Only has 130 calories, 5g from fat, 30 g of protein and 280 mg of calcium and is delicious. Glad my taste hasn't changed for this product. I have information from the nutritionist that the following flavors can be added to vanilla: almond extract, cherry extract, maple extract, nutmeg, pineapple, coconut and rum extract, apple pie spice, cinnamon, and peppermint. I have recipes if anyone would like them. I personally never used these as I love the chocolate so much.

I used to be a huge water drinker, post-op this changed. I started buying water but still have to force myself to even get 4-5 cups down. I have never liked flavored water, but may try some in an attempt to get back my taste. I am also going to try a couple of the protein products that were suggested by others in our group.
  • mcastgirlnc
    mcastgirlnc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love the Synthrax Nectar Caribbean Cooler and Nectar Sweets Chocolate Truffle. I add mango to the caribbean one and 1/2 a banana to the chocolate one.....A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!!!!! oh and I use coconut milk to add a little creaminess.
  • kakkler
    kakkler Posts: 1
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Gold Protein Powder, Double Rich Chocolate flavor. Mix one scoop with skim milk and it's really very good! It's 50$ or so for a huge jug and you get a LOT of servings!
  • Watson_20
    Watson_20 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use "Pure Protein Whey Protein 25g Premium Protein Vanilla Cream". It comes in a 2 pound size (32 oz./907g) jug. I get it at Target.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I use the Syntrax protein powders. Love the Cappaccino and Vanilla Bean. I also like Muscletech from Sam's club. I also reccomend that you find an unflavored protein powder. I use Syntrax for that too. It really comes in handy when you need to up the protein in a meal. It sometimes changes the consistency of a food, but never the flavor.

And yes, taste does sometimes change after surgery and there may be things your stomach just not longer tolerates. For instance, plain water now seems to make me really, really hungry, like it's somehow emptying my stomach out as I drink it. Flavored water, which I didn't like pre-surgery, I like now and doesn't make me feel hungry. I prefer Sparkling Ice with is zero calories but also zero sodium (most flavored waters have a lot of sodium). It is carbonated and my stomach doesn't like carbonation, so I sip a little shake and vent until the carbonation is gone. Coffee is another thing that changed for me. I used to love a good cup of plain, nothing in it coffee. Now it bothers my stomach unless I add a little cream.

As others here said, try a lot of stuff, but don't buy in bulk/quantity, until after surgery when you can see what, if anything , changed for you.
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I hated protein drinks. None of them tasted remotely good, whether they were premade in containers or if I mixed them myself. The one I could stomach first was the Atkins Advantage Milk Chocolate Delight Protein Shake; 11oz; 160 calories; 15g protein. I drank that the first few weeks post op. Then I met another VSGer who recommended that I try HEB Chocolate Mootopia Milk (8 oz; 150 calories; 12g protein; 11g sugar) and mix it with unflavored protein powder (Jarrow's Whey Protein; 1 scoop; 94 calories; 18g protein) so I would get 30g protein and consume 244 calories plus the sugar. It tasted better than the atkins drink and I drank one a day for for about 3 months. Then I realized that I could find a better combination.

My new favorite is Isopure Low Carb Dutch Chocolate with HEB Fat Free Mootopia combined total of 200 calories; 7.5g carbs; 37g protein; 6g sugar. I've been doubling the recipe the last week and I will get 74g protein before lunch. I was having a problem getting to the daily 80g protein recommended, so this really helped.

P.s. if you're going to use protein powders, I have found that mixing it with in a protein shake bottle with the metal wisk inside mixes better than even my Ninja blender.

Good Luck!
  • Living__Healthy
    Living__Healthy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Syntrax. My favorites are strawberry kiwi, fuzzy navel, and caribbean cooler.
  • DrSchmincke
    DrSchmincke Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't like the flavor of any of the Unjury products. And, alas for me, I cannot have any chocolate (triggers Migraines).

My go-to protein drinks are the Premier Protein pre-made drinks (Vanilla and Strawberry) since they are so handy to stick in my briefcase for work.

At home I use Cytosport/Muscle Milk powders, mostly in Vanilla, but Banana Cream and Graham Cracker flavors are okay. I also sometimes use the Vanilla Market Pantry brand Whey Protein Powder from Target. As others have suggested, I mix them up with flavorings and with sugar-free almond milk. In the morning I add a half-teaspoon of instant coffee powder. Sometimes I throw in part of a banana, or a few berries, or some Carob powder. And always some Benefiber :-)

Now that I am almost 2 months post-surgery, I am starting to explore Atkins protein bars. Tomorrow I plan to buy some Quest bars for an upcoming trip.
  • reisu
    reisu Posts: 16
    Options
    So far, the only one that's truly tolerable is Unjury Chocolate Splendor with Lite Soymilk. I've tried Jay Robb, Isopure, etc, and all (to me) left a very unpleasant aftertaste.
  • trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    I've been using Sytrex but I must say I LOVE mangopickle's suggestion on the carbmaster milk. I'm going to do that instead of buying more expensive protein from now on.

So, thanks, mangopickle! (I think I remembered your name correctly. lol)
  • demiller69
    Options
    Before surgery I was using high protein slim fast in chocolate. After surgery I couldn't stand the taste. I've been using unjury, unflavored protein powder with soymilk and frozen strawberries.