March MFP Mileage Challenge!

Options

Replies

• Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I lowered my goal to 140 b/c of traveling....
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Feeling a little blue. Today was supposed to be my 50 Mile Ultra. Stupid stress fracture. BUT, I back running and that is a good thing! :)
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am putting down 85 for March. Happy running!
  • pafagel
    pafagel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 120 this month. Good luck everybody!
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    I will try for 50 miles again - sigh. I am fed up with this hammy :cry:
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Did my longest-ever run today (with a small asterisk): 30.34 miles. I'm definitely feeling worn out but I've also definitely felt much worse after much shorter runs.

The asterisk part is that I actually did complete a longer "run" of 38.6 miles when I paced a friend at a 100-mile ultramarathon. However, this was at the end of his race and the pace was considerably slower; we probably walked at least half of the distance, so I'm counting today's run as my longest. Of course, when I do my 50-miler at the end of the month that will beat them both, so it's a moot point.
  • shellyb2017
    shellyb2017 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 50! Just added my name to the spreadsheet and my 5.2 mile run today! Need to get back in the game!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Did my longest-ever run today (with a small asterisk): 30.34 miles. I'm definitely feeling worn out but I've also definitely felt much worse after much shorter runs.

The asterisk part is that I actually did complete a longer "run" of 38.6 miles when I paced a friend at a 100-mile ultramarathon. However, this was at the end of his race and the pace was considerably slower; we probably walked at least half of the distance, so I'm counting today's run as my longest. Of course, when I do my 50-miler at the end of the month that will beat them both, so it's a moot point.

Great work!!!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    That is outstanding!!! Super, super run! (And yes, I can imagine that you are a teeny tiny bit tired.)
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Feeling a little blue. Today was supposed to be my 50 Mile Ultra. Stupid stress fracture. BUT, I back running and that is a good thing! :)

Coming from somebody that just had an injury scare I can totally sympathise. I hope you build up to be stronger than ever!
  • marikevr
    Options

Awesome stuff! I assume that will be your last long-long run up to you race? Did you do it at your 50-miler pace or quicker?
    I have a 50k long run planned for the 15th, hoping that all my pains and niggles clear up before then!
  • marikevr
    Options
    This was supposed to be a 180 mile month. But I am testing the waters on my legs again so will build up slowly for the next week or two. So will aim for another 160. Not exactly ideal training for me at the moment...but I will take what I can get!
  • amian25
    amian25 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just discovered this group and it looks super interesting :) I'll start with a goal of 50 so that I can reach it. Good luck everyone!!
  • jngf11
    jngf11 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there! I just joined the group and committed to 50 this month. I'm a new runner with only two 5k's under my belt so far, but have another one this weekend. Good luck everyone! :)
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    I am back in for 150 miles this month. Took a bit of a break in Feb (132miles) and wanted to run without feeling quite as rigid with my training. Happy running.
  • davemunger
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the congrats on the 30-mile run. Unfortunately immediately after the run my shin started hurting so badly that I could barely walk. Long story short, I figured out it was just bruised, took most of the week off, and had my first run (4 on a treadmill) yesterday. Today I ran 3.1 outside and it felt okay, so tomorrow I'm going to try a 10-miler.

I have been out of town this week but just now updated the spreadsheet -- looks like most of us are on track, but tomorrow's long run will probably put lots of folks even closer!

Dave

PS: To answer some of your questions, yes, the 30-miler is the longest run I will do before my 50-mile race, but I still have some runs on the calendar that most people would consider very long -- I was supposed to do a 25-miler this weekend but might only do something like 15 on Monday, and I have a 20 miler next week as well. Then the taper begins in earnest!

I did the 30-miler at roughly a 9-minute pace -- considerably faster than race pace because it was on much easier terrain than the actual race will be. My target pace for the race will be something like 12-minute-miles, but in reality I will just respond to the terrain as best as I can. In marathon training I typically run between 8:00 and 8:30 pace, so all this very slow (for me) running is somewhat uncharted territory.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first run of the week. I'm feeling fine, but had to work late a few times this week, had an ice storm to deal with, and my son's been sick again. After missing a week of training, though, I dialed my goal back to 100 miles for this month. Since I only made 80 last month, and have only broken 100 once since September, that will still be an accomplishment!
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    So I am getting some running in - nothing feels any worse (nor any better) so today I did a slightly longer run - so happy!
    I have also registered for a 10km in June. Missing my half this month - :cry:

Dave - you are a machine - well done!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Nice to see progress on the spreadsheet. Two PRs this month, a 5K PR in the 23s, and then a 10K in the low 50s. Caught a cold, and I am not getting better! UGH. Still running since it is upper respiratory, but it is a bit of a challenge. I am lowering my mileage to 125 so my goal doesn't look too unreachable :smile: Doing a half this weekend, it is while on a business trip in Portugal! Will run it on jet lag (and for fun), it looks like a beautiful and fun course (over a suspension bridge :glasses: )!!!!
  • davemunger
    Options
    March 13 -- about 40% of the way through the month. Most folks are still doing great, but I count 13 runners who haven't updated their miles this week. Surely you're not all out with injuries. Make sure you update the sheet! (I've put an updated version in the first post in the thread)

I was injured last week but am back in form this week. I'm pretty sure I won't make my mileage for the month but I should at least be back on my running program. I'm thinking I might be good for 200 rather than 250, but I"m going to keep the original goal in there as a reminder.

Cooriander: Great job this month! Hope your cold doesn't slow you down too much. I'm sooooo jealous of your HM in Portugal! Sounds awesome!