coming back, where to start?

Options
christianteach
christianteach Posts: 593 Member
After trying SL 5X5 for a few weeks, I've had a 3 week break from lifting due to injury, followed by vacation and then a post vacation week that was extremely busy and I just didn't fit it in. While I enjoyed SL and loved the convenience of the app, I found the lifts got very difficult, very quickly. I think I'm going to start AP again. (I last did it in Dec) Should I pick up where I left off or should I start fresh testing my 10 rep max again?

Replies

• thepibbs
    thepibbs Posts: 1
    Options
    Test your 10 rpm. :)
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would retest my 10rm. I'm sure the more knowledgable people will chime in with advice!
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I ended up retesting my 10RM. My numbers were about the same as they were back in December, except my BOR's...they are way lower now.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    A bit late but indeed retest your 10 RM. Did that myself recently as well,since I've also restarted All Pro's SBR.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    A bit late but indeed retest your 10 RM. Did that myself recently as well,since I've also restarted All Pro's SBR.

^Agreed, always retest.

Strength's a funny commodity - certain lifts can dip quickly and others seem to stay around the same level. It's probably an individual thing as to what happens during a lay-off (or a style of programming change)

Better to be armed with proper data about what your body can currently handle, than to guess and invite problems such as: injury, wheel spinning, overtraining or premature stalling.