Those of you that already have kids...

Options
For all the moms out there that already have had kids, or that have already had your baby shower I'm interested in knowing what kind of things did you get as gifts? And who got you what kind of things?

I'm NOT looking to be spoiled with gifts, I'm wondering because im trying to prove a point that just because im having baby shower that doesn't automatically mean we will get everything off our registry.

What did you get the most of at your baby shower? And who got you what?
Small items off registry $5-$45
Big ticket items (crib, play yard, ect)
In the middle $50+ (but not large enough to be considered a "big ticket item")
Nothing off our registry
A little bit of everything
Nothing we actually needed

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I opted out of a shower. I'm an older first-time mom (35) and am in a better financial position than most of our friends. I wanted high-end items for the stuff we'll use for a long time, and didn't want to put a financial burden on friends/family. So I declined the shower but accepted hand-me-downs from people. Most people saw that as "so awesome" (and most admitted they secretly hate baby showers so they were thankful) and we literally bought 1 item for our daughter--a used stroller that still cost about $500. Everything else was given to us....some new, some old. She is now over 3 months old and I think we've spent about $50 out of pocket (we cloth diaper, but I bought some disposables for the baby-sitter and for travel).

In terms of non-used items we were given:
    --a pack and play from my mom
    --a glider from my mom
    --car seat from the in-laws
    --car seat from husbands' colleagues at work
    --tons of clothes, sized 0-12 months--I doubt we'll buy anything until she outgrows this stuff.
    --baby meds/nail clippers/lotions/wash/etc... from a friends sister
    --high chair from a couple friends
    --enough gift cards to buy our Baby Ergo Performance Carrier, tons of misc. stuff, and we still have several hundred dollars left

Hand-me-downs
    --crib (used for just a few months) w/the linens, mattress, etc... from a friend
    --infant car seat/bases, bundle me from sis-in-law
    --vibrating chair, exersauser thingy, bottles, toys, etc... from a friends sister
    --changing table from my old boss
    --multiple mobiles. I switch out when the girl looks bored with one...from friends
    --boppy pillow...husbands boos
    --changing table pad...husbands boss
    --tons of swaddle blankets (which we use as burp rags)

Handmade--things I treasure most!
    --quilt from my mom
    --quilt from people my husbands family used to go to church with
    --car seat cover
    --baby blanket embroidered in advance by my late grandma (what a shock that was!)

Honestly, I could go on and on with all we got. By saying we wanted nothing, we were given everything. People said it was refreshing that we actually wanted hand-me-downs and provided 3x as much as we could possibly need (along with permission to pass along what we don't want/use). We didn't know the gender, so after she arrived we had upwards of 100 visitors that came with clothes and "girly things" (new).

(I was on the phone with my friend and I asked her about her experience with the shower...she said she got a few big items, some mid-point items, all the smaller (under $50) stuff and tons of clothes and diapers. She said they spent a couple thousand on nursery furniture that she regrets--their now 3 year old has colored and carved all over it!)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I opted out of a shower. I'm an older first-time mom (35) and am in a better financial position than most of our friends. I wanted high-end items for the stuff we'll use for a long time, and didn't want to put a financial burden on friends/family. So I declined the shower but accepted hand-me-downs from people. Most people saw that as "so awesome" (and most admitted they secretly hate baby showers so they were thankful) and we literally bought 1 item for our daughter--a used stroller that still cost about $500. Everything else was given to us....some new, some old. She is now over 3 months old and I think we've spent about $50 out of pocket (we cloth diaper, but I bought some disposables for the baby-sitter and for travel).

In terms of non-used items we were given:
    --a pack and play from my mom
    --a glider from my mom
    --car seat from the in-laws
    --car seat from husbands' colleagues at work
    --tons of clothes, sized 0-12 months--I doubt we'll buy anything until she outgrows this stuff.
    --baby meds/nail clippers/lotions/wash/etc... from a friends sister
    --high chair from a couple friends
    --enough gift cards to buy our Baby Ergo Performance Carrier, tons of misc. stuff, and we still have several hundred dollars left

Hand-me-downs
    --crib (used for just a few months) w/the linens, mattress, etc... from a friend
    --infant car seat/bases, bundle me from sis-in-law
    --vibrating chair, exersauser thingy, bottles, toys, etc... from a friends sister
    --changing table from my old boss
    --multiple mobiles. I switch out when the girl looks bored with one...from friends
    --boppy pillow...husbands boss
    --changing table pad...husbands boss
    --tons of swaddle blankets (which we use as burp rags)

Handmade--things I treasure most!
    --quilt from my mom
    --quilt from people my husbands family used to go to church with
    --car seat cover
    --baby blanket embroidered in advance by my late grandma (what a shock that was!)

Honestly, I could go on and on with all we got. By saying we wanted nothing, we were given everything. People said it was refreshing that we actually wanted hand-me-downs and provided 3x as much as we could possibly need (along with permission to pass along what we don't want/use). We didn't know the gender, so after she arrived we had upwards of 100 visitors that came with clothes and "girly things" (new).

(I was on the phone with my friend and I asked her about her experience with the shower...she said she got a few big items, some mid-point items, all the smaller (under $50) stuff and tons of clothes and diapers. She said they spent a couple thousand on nursery furniture that she regrets--their now 3 year old has colored and carved all over it!)
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    With my first, I didn't really register for much b/c I felt weird about people getting us stuff. (I just hate having to open presents in front of a group of people). I kept it really small, too. So I got basic stuff...crib sheets, baby care sets/baby wash, etc., clothes, diapers, etc. My mom went garage saling and got me some bigger end stuff...breast pump, boppy, car seats, etc. My in laws got us a brand new glider and changing table (and tons of clothes). A family member bought us a convertible car seat that I had registered for. (That was a huge surprise!) . We ended up buying our own crib and swing and cloth diapers, but basically were set with clothes and the basics. Plus, I borrowed stuff from my cousin who had a baby a year before and gave it back to her for her next. (We pass stuff back and forth)

With my second, we were all set.

Now with my third, I'm simplifying! I'm getting rid of all of the cheap stuff I got for the first and second (that hasn't already broken) and replacing it with better quality used stuff. :)
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Diapers, diapers, diapers! That's honestly all I needed. I had a little giveaway (their name got put in a hat and they could win a $25 gift card) for those who brought a packages of size 1 or 2 diapers because I didn't want to be overloaded with nb diapers. I did end up getting a lot of onsies and gift baskets with bath items. I don't think we even registered anywhere because we live in a small town with a Walmart and a Dollar store!
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I only had 2 couples at my shower for my first and their gifts were an ItzBeen and a baby monitor. The shower to me was definitely not about the gifts but about hanging with my best friends before hanging with friends becomes more complicated.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any sort of gift list. I've got 2 children and had a shower for each of them, but it was just about spending time with my friends, and having some cake lol.

I mostly got babygros as gifts. My first was a boy, my second a girl. I was 31 when I had my first and had been working full time earning a decent salary, plus my parents bought us pretty much everything we needed.

My third is a girl, amd I have everything already. I am having a baby shower, but just to see my friends. If anyone asked if I want anything, I guess I'd just say nappies, and vouchers for shops selling baby things.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    With my first, I received all little things - all under $20.
    Nothing bigger than would fit in a little gift bag.

This one, I am doing a "Lunch Bunch Meet and Greet." Just a come meet the baby party after he is born.
    I have already been given way more with this baby than with my first. We have been given a car seat, stroller, sleeper, crib, bassinet, bouncer, swing, clothes and more! It just keeps coming :p
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a lot of hand-me-downs, but being that this is the only second baby boy being born in our family and the only boy amongst my friends, we had to get a lot of our own. We didn't get everything that was on our list nor did a lot of people purchase what we had on the list. I expected not to receive big ticket items,but was still surprised by the breast pump, the playpin and the travel system were given as gifts (TWO travel systerms at that!). The only thing I wished most people did was bring a gift receipt bc it's been a hassle trying to figure out where to return double items (things we also didn't ask for). May seem easy looking it up online, however even if they sell online, sometimes won't come up at the store and they still won't accept it..grrr. We received tons of burpcloths, diapers, and blankets. Not as much clothing as I expected, so that's something we are still in the middle of purchasing. Trying to see if we can borrow a bassinet from my brother and his wife since it's something that'll be used for a short time... only problem is people I know are still having children or are still using things and not giving up much, lol.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I didn't register for many expensive things. I bought his crib, changing table/dresser, stroller/car seat combo, play yard.

The two expensive things I put on my registry were a high chair and a baby monitor (I think they were around $70) and both were purchased by pairs (my aunt and her adult daughter and the other by 2 of my aunts).

I got many things $20 and under (that's mostly what I registered for as my family and coworkers - teachers were not well off).

I received a lot of things I didn't register for - people LOVE to buy blankets and baby clothes and stuffed animals. I don't think I bothered to register for any of these things and got several of each.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    With my first (a boy), we bought all the major things like furniture, play pen, mattress, swing, bassinet, carseat, etc. We did get our baby monitor from my mother in law and I got a super nice diaper bag from my boss. Mostly we got gift cards, clothes, and other small things we registered for like bottles, wash cloths and towels, our baby bathtub, etc. I did get lots of blankets and stuff like that, most of which didn't get used because I'm a very picky person. However, I had and still do have several friends who are pregnant to whom I've given lots of things.

This time around we are having a girl so pretty much all we need is clothing and maybe a couple other things. The one thing I still need to get this time is a double stroller - my son is a year old and I'm due with my daughter in May. I already bought a bigger diaper bag that is durable and will last me a lifetime.

I always state on my shower invites that the registry is a guide and that no one should feel obligated to buy anything. I've gotten hand me downs both times but more so this time because I know many people who had girls last year.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I have 2 boys and got rid of all my baby stuff thinking we weren't going to have anymore. That thought was wrong. What I used with my two was a bassinet, crib, swing, play mat, boppy, breast pump, stoller/carseat combo, bottles and pacifiers. I think that's all. The pack and play was too big and bulky so I never used that. I've always lived in a place where I could hear the baby so I never got a monitor but my mom has one of the video monitors and those are pretty cool. I never used a changing table.