introduction, looking for Fibro MFP friends

Options
Hello all! I have fibromyalgia, work full time in a prison, have 3 small kids, still nurse one of them, and am also working on this journey of weight loss. I'm just looking for a few friends on here that will help and possibly help keep me accountable on the bad pain days. Over eating has always been my "coping" for bad pain days :( Thanks in Advance, -Jill :flowerforyou:

Replies

• potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group :flowerforyou:

I think a lot of us use food as comfort on the really painful days. I also personally find that chronic lack of sleep contributes to bad eating choices.

Fibro is certainly an added obstacle on the road to weight loss, but it can be overcome.
  • CatStiles
    CatStiles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also work full time and have fibro.

I find I have exactly the same problem - I turn to food when the pain is bad because that's the only kind of satisfaction I'm able to get!
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Welcome.
    I also suffer from fibro pain on regular basis.For me also, food is the temporary pain reliever, I depend mostly on desserts. Lack of sleep is the main cause for both pain and overeating. Some times hot water bath gives temporary relief.i use homeopathy medication for relief.
    You can add me as a friend
  • ljcrawford85
    Options
    I'm new on the boards, a 29 year old female with fibro and would love some friends here
  • flow2512
    flow2512 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have osteoarthritis, in both hips, hands, arms and shoulder, and I get a lot of pain, usually first thing in a morning and from tea time onwards, I only started with arthritis, two years ago, but have carried on with losing weight slowly and in batches.

I try and lose 25-30 lbs, then stop for a few weeks and try and maintain then lose some more, UPTO date I have lost 73 lbs, my physio says that I should be 135 lbs (which is half way for my height/weight at 5ft 5") so I am 142 now - so I am on my last half stone, but it's so hard, it seems to be half a pound at a time and I don't know about you all, but I have IBS through, the painkillers I take and always seem to be at one extreme or the other with the bowels!

Good luck to everyone and take care x
  • mimiharmon1
    mimiharmon1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also have Fibromyalgia, as well as hypothyroidism and migraines. Thankfully, now that I am eating healty foods, the pain has been much better. I am fairly new here, so I would love some new friends. :flowerforyou:
  • labgeekj80
    labgeekj80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all, new to this group. I'm a soon to be 35 year old female. Im married with 2 fur babies. I work in the medical field although haven't been working at all since June.

On top of having fibro I am also dealing with severe osteoporosis and fractured my back. My restrictions on activity are just above bedrest. I have put on weight and need to get this all under control.

Any friends would be fantastic.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hi labgeek. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia too. I am in the academic field. I am not being treated for fibro. I tried Cymbalta but it just gave me insomnia and did not alleviate any pain. I think my case is mild compared to some and it seems to be the least of my medical issues right now. I have compressed fractures in my back which cannot heal. I was in a severe car accident last year and am still recovering. I hope your back can. I too have physical restrictions. I just started walking without a cane this month and minimal calisthenics a couple of weeks ago with my doctor's permission. I wish you all the best.
  • FLCindy
    FLCindy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Greetings Everyone! I have fibro. Exercising hurts and causes severe exhaustion the next day. I know it's necessary to help keep my mood elevated with this awful disease. I drink green smoothies/juices, increased my protein, drink at least 96 oz of water each day, REST, eliminated gluten and dairy. IF I follow my eating plan, I can have a piece of pizza once a week. I also take numerous supplements and medication. Tell us about you!
  • CaraHeather
    CaraHeather Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am looking for new mfp friends that suffer from fibro as well. I am currently 35yr old with a start goal of 35lbs... I definitely need to lose more. I lost 68 lbs in a yr during 2012-13 with mfp. Recently, I gained half of that back not sticking to eating healthy and developed neuropathy due to the fibro. I am currently taking gabapentin for that and also started myofascial pain release therapy. I can now exercise again! I started with 26 trigger points and I currently have 18. Please add me. Thank you.
  • ringak
    ringak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I too suffer from Fibro. I gained about 25lbs with the Cymbalta, Lyrica, Flexeril etc... that I need to lose. Maybe it isn't even the med's, i know I over eat as it seems to be the only activity that I can still do well.hahaha! with summer coming I need to crack down and get a grip on this. I have lost 4lbs so far which is a start! Hard when preparing foods can be exhausting some days.
  • howduuwnt2fl
    howduuwnt2fl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me ....
  • scarlettsky7
    scarlettsky7 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • wildrosedragon
    wildrosedragon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I'm 52 with Fibro, DDD, Chronic Pain, sleep issues and so on. I've been following Keto since end of Dec 2017 and currently have lost 55 lbs. (which I just noticed is now more than my age, how cool is that, lol) I am off insulin and due to get off most of the other pills sometime in Aug. (next appointment) I work full time as a Lumber cashier and have been there 7 yrs now. My good days have gotten more frequent but my bad days seam worse. (today being a really bad day) I use CBD to help with pain and tramadol (try really hard not to use it at all and have decreased usage down alot in the last few months) I have recently moved to my basement/ground floor and my daughter, her partner and my grandson (2yrs) have moved into upstairs. I've been wanting to move to basement for years but until recently had a roommate who lived here. My significant other, Gary, whom I met in prison is due to go to work release sometime in June. He has been incarcerated for 18 yrs, we have been separated for 6yrs but last 2 yrs have been in contact. We are going to give a relationship on the outside a shot but the chances of it working are slim to none. Cause re-entering this world we live in is hard enough but a convicted felon is difficult at best.

I"m looking for friends that understand that chronic pain and fibro make life difficult and basically people who can like a ramble/post now and then to encourage me on my days when it seams impossible to carry on. Thank You, Kitty aka WildRoseDragon
  • nbbaby
    nbbaby Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Sharon,
    I am almost 52 years old. I have 5 granddaughters. 13,11,9,7,4
    I have FM, Arthritis, Anxiety, PTSD, IBS-C, Acid Reflux, 8 herniated discs. Restless leg syndrome, chronic pain syndrome, Depression, panic Attacks. Ive had FM now for 33 years.
    I find it hard exercise due to the pain. I did by a treadmill, for when I can get on it. I have to eat a low fodmap diet because of my stomach, so it's hard to eat the right foods every day.
    I would love new friends on here that know how I feel for support with eating and exercise. And I can support them also. So please feel free to add me.
    Sharon aka nbbaby
  • donnajgrant
    donnajgrant Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Donna 48, UK, I have two children 19 and 9, I lost my dream job due to ill health

I have fibromylgia, Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME, restless leg syndrome, IBS, Bipolar Depression/Anxiety, High blood pressure

I find exercising so hard due to pain/energy levels and also my weight!

I would love new friends who understand what life with chronic illness is like, so please send me a friend request x
  • nbbaby
    nbbaby Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello how is everyone doing?
    Noone has talked in months so
    I thought I'd pipe in.
    Since August 1 I started Keto. And I've lost 22 pounds, of course I still have 35 more to lose before I'm happy with my weight. But what's bigger than that is I have not bloated since I started it and I have not had one stomach attack, which is huge because I was getting them daily. So I'll stick to it and see where it takes me. It's amazing when your burning fat instead of carbs how much energy you have and not hungry every 10 minutes. It has also helped with the fibro fog.
    Feel free to add me nbbaby
    Anyways I hope your all doing well
    Sharon
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have been doing anti-inflammatory since July 7th (mostly) and I've lost 11 pounds. It's helped me to have less fatigue and fibro pain. I do well most days
  • WhimsicalChimera
    WhimsicalChimera Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jessica. I can see that this group has been dormant for some time, but let's see if my post can help bring it back. ;)

I will be 42 next month and will be celebrating my 20th wedding anniversary in October. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees at 17 and told I would be in a wheelchair by the time I was 40. (They weren't wrong.. I can barely walk down to my mailbox and I have to use a motor cart when grocery shopping.) I also now have arthritis in my spine, along with a torn PCL and meniscus in my right knee. My left knee also has moderate deterioration. I suffer with migraines (though I've only had 1 in the last three months, thank God!), have Fibro and quite a number of mental health issues as well. I'm also diabetic.

I had a come to Jesus meeting with myself today and decided I was going to get back on MyFitnessPal and do this losing weight thing the right way. When I used MFP a decade ago, I was able to drop 93lbs. At that time, I was at the highest weight I'd ever been - 365lbs. I've since gone up to 403lbs (November 2019) and am now down to 360lbs, give or take either direction.

My long-term goal is to reach 200lbs. I'll be happy to be that for the rest of my life. If I get lower, great. If not, that will be okay. My short-term goal is to hit 260lbs so my orthopedic doctor will replace my knees. He said if I can hit that or lower, he'll do it without batting an eye. So MY eyes are set on getting my knees replaced at the end of 2022 or beginning of 2023.

I'm looking for friends who are compassionate, caring, encouraging, and able to help hold me accountable. I'll do the same for you! Living life with Fibro and trying to balance everything is such a hard thing to do. I don't even work anymore, things got so bad for me. I haven't worked in six years.

Anyway, that's enough of a ramble... send me a friend request and I'll happily accept!