3/7/14: H2O

Water is essential indeed our bodies are made up of anywhere between 51%-75% water! If we don't ingest enough fluid, dehydration can set in quickly. To gauge the importance of water relative to food, consider that severe dehydration can lead to death within a matter of days, whereas we can go for weeks without food.

It's important to realize that we can get our fluid requirements from the food we eat, as well as the fluids we drink. For instance, an orange is 87% water! Good sources of water are:
 Fruits & Vegetables
 Drinks, especially non-caffeinated ones like fruit juice
 And the best source of all… good ol water!

On a scale of 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being great) how would you rate your overall hydration? What are some things you could do to increase this number? What are some good tips to staying hydrated throughout the day?

Replies

• I would say im in the middle like 5 or 6 since i don't really drink water. I would try to drink more water whenever im thirsty or when im excersing. You can bring water bottle where ever you go so you can stay hydrated. Also when you eat you can drink water with your food. If i do this i can be more hydrated.
  • On a scale 1-10 i give myself a 7. I drink alot of soda and its bad for me so I could increase this number by drinking more water. Some tips i could use are to always have water with me wherever i go like in school.
  • On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give myself a 8 because I drink alot of water doing badminton practice now. I could drink more water throught the day all together to increase my hydration. A good tip is to bring a water bottle to school to keep yourself hydrated.
    2160364 Posts: 3
    On a scale of 1-10 I would say an 8 because i drink juice and sometimes soda but I would say that I drink a lot of water. I would try and bring at least a water boddle with water in it and if not just try and drink water from the good water fountains.
  • on a scale to 1-10 i would choose 5. A way to increase that number would be staying active and crave water. i highly think cold water can take away my hunger. thats a simple tip to myself.
  • jonesj50
    jonesj50 Posts: 6
    I would rate myself as a 6 because i really don't like water that much. :noway: I mostly drink kool-aid and pop but i will drink fruit juice in a minute. Also i really like fruits and vegtables because my mom has me in the habit of putting one vegtable on my plate when it comes to dinner. Thats how i keep myself hydrated
  • On a scale of 1-10 I would say my overall hydration is about an 8 because i drink water a lot on a regular basis from the school fountains and from the water I have at home. You can increase this number by drinking water whenever you get the chance.
  • On a scale of 1 to 10, I give myself a 9 because I would stay after school everyday for poms & now I do badminton so keeping hydrated gets me through all of my practices. Water always tastes better during practice anyway ahaha
  • On a scale of 1-10 I give my self a 10 hydration. Water is a must for me I don't rarely drink sodas or juices because I know the importance of water. A good tip to maintain a good water consumption is to get a reusable water bottle so you can refill it for later.
  • I would rate myself as a 10, because im in track so i live on drinkinking water and eating healthy. Another reason is because for some strange reason my mouth stays very dry and i have to drink lots of water.
  • stop.......................................

• gawendah
    gawendah Posts: 1
    i think my overall hyrdration varies. some days i will drink and consume more water than others. since i am in softball season now i focus on getting enough fluids in me daily. i would say i am about a 9 on this scale. you should have 8 glasses of water each day but i just drink as muhc as i can through the school day and i drink 2 bottles at least before a practice or game.
  • I rate myself as 10 in water comsuption. i always cary water with me. i love drining water.
  • jonesj50
    jonesj50 Posts: 6
    That's good that you always carry water with you. Hopefully I can get into that habit. I just wanna know how do you do it?
  • It a good thing you do drink more water than any other drink. The reason is that you will have a less time being dehydrated and be more hydrated. The only thing is you need to drink alot of milk so your bones can be really strong that all you need to worry about :smile: :happy:
  • My hydration from a scale of 1 to 10, would be a 10! I really love drinking water. I like the feeling of being refreshed.
  • ale ae ale jandra. thats pretty interesting. way to be organized and still manage to get water in.
  • I agree on you Alondra that I once I start excercising more my water consumption gets higher. I believe it is because our bodies run on water and when we sweat we need to recor our water levels.
  • GBeezy22
    GBeezy22 Posts: 2
    I would say a 5 because I drink water but not that much I mostly drink more pop than water. I could increase this number by drinking more water.
  • You should carry around a water bottle so you drink more water. Make sure you do eat something dont just use water as a substitue. and getting active is a great idea annie.
  • I would rate myself a 4/10 based off of hydration; What I know is that I need to start drinking more water and cutting down on the soda and juice. Now I'm going to start drinking alot more water to be more healthy rather than drinking those pops infested with chemicals and sugar.
  • On a scale of 1-10 I give myself a 7