Keeping It Positive

Options
morzolas
morzolas Posts: 59 Member
I've noticed here and there that a lot of us are struggling to find motivation to keep going or to get back on the wagon. Whether it's our busy schedules, the lousy weather, or a few bad days/weeks, we could all use a little pick me up. One of the best things about this group is the positive attitude. Sometimes it's just what you need when you're feeling down in the fitness arena.

Please feel free to share your struggles, positive thoughts, or comments about whatever it is that's on your mind. There might be someone else on here that's dealing with the same thing and could use a little sense of camaraderie to boost their motivation/progress.

Replies

• boulevardMto180
    Options
    Thank u for this!
  • morzolas
    Options
    @boulevardmto1 No problem!

Okay, I'll share a positive thought. I have to say that seeing the weekly weigh in where people still show up even if they've gained or haven't been tracking 100% is really respectable to me. It sucks to post a gain or admit your A game isn't quite there, but it shows dedication to own up to it and post anyway.

I think I've been able to stay on track because I see there are others on here with their own stuff going on. When I have a bad food day or a week where I have just generally been off, I know there is probably someone in the group experiencing the exact same thing as me.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I found that when I am dreading the workout, I try to do something "new". Maybe I walk/jog a different route. If I usually use program 3 on the treadmill, I set it to program 5...or I do a Manual one. I use a machine I don't normally use. Maybe I shoot baskets...use the Wii Active..etc. etc. etc.

It's easier to stick with being active if I don't feel "bored" with what I'm doing.
  • Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've been up and down in the same 3 lb range for several weeks now, and I finally realized what's going on: I'm in the "last 10 lbs" zone. It's the sense of, "I'm so close, this won't be hard," so I eat over calories by a little more than usual, or more often. I'm so happy about the progress that I've made that I just don't feel the same sense of urgency to lose those last few pounds.

My hope is, now that I've recognized what's going on, I can manage it more consciously. The good news is I've had some good practice for maintenance!:happy:
  • morzolas
    Options
    I found that when I am dreading the workout, I try to do something "new".

I have found that to be quite helpful as well. I have been doing a lot of exercise videos in my home because the weather is so horrible and my schedule is so tight. This past weekend I had the opportunity to go outside to exercise and was able to really push myself in a way that I haven't for months. Something about changing it up makes my brain go "oh okay, so it's not all stale and repetitive!"
  • morzolas
    Options
    I've been up and down in the same 3 lb range for several weeks now, and I finally realized what's going on: I'm in the "last 10 lbs" zone.

I think at a certain point you feel like you've been doing it for so long that it should just sort of happen on its own. Not many people make it to the "last 10 pounds" point, so congrats on that. If you've identified behaviors in yourself that are keeping you in those 3 pounds, I know you'll be successful. I also love that you think of it as "practice for maintaining" rather than something negative. I was stuck in the same 5 pounds for several months last year, and it was hard to stay focused. Good on you!
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My family has been good at keeping me motivated. I have sometimes had an off day but they give me the strength to shake it off and start afresh the next day.

I'm also very happy to have my MFP friends and this group.

I also try to send a message or wall post to my MFP friends if they haven't logged in for a few days. I want them to know that I miss them and hope they are back soon!