New to GF.. looking for GF friends!

Options
hipsdontlie1
hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
Hi everyone,

I have yet to be tested for a gluten allergy but I've had a lot of weird symptoms/digestive issues going on and I know celiac disease runs in my family so in the meantime I've decided to go gluten free and see if anything changes! Looking to make some new GF friends who can help me through this process! I'd love to look at your diaries for GF ideas and offer support on your journey as well. This group has been very helpful as well! Hope to hear from you guys!

Maura

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hi Maura: Just a note - if you are going to be tested for Celiac Disease, DO NOT cut out your gluten, it can lead to a false negative if you are off it for a while (unless you are getting an actual biopsy). If you only have sensitivities/allergy to gluten (I say only with a grain of salt because it can still be quite severe) you will feel better by strictly going GF. Technically I am only 'allergic/sensitive" but we are still talking asthma attacks, skin breakouts, digestive trouble, and severe joint & muscle pain for days after a tiny mistake. My food diary is for any MFP members , so you are welcome to look if you like. Welcome, and hope you find out soon what your situation is.
    Liana
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi Liana,
    Yes! I just heard this about the negative testing from a few people.. and regardless I'm still going to give up gluten for now and see if it helps with things. I'd rather not just in case. Anyways thanks for your reply and I will definitely take a look at your diary.
  • weather_nerd
    Options
    Hi there,

I basically did the same thing. I was having issues with my sinuses, as well as experiencing blocked ears and nausea constantly. By complete accident I found something relating gluten to this, so I thought, what the heck, I'll give it up. It made a huge difference.

Every now and then I consume it, thinking I'll be fine. Nope. I have to stay away from it once and for all.

Feel free to add me if you wish :)

L.
  • mrsweasley23
    mrsweasley23 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. Hardened coeliac who loves to cook :D
  • jellyfish1976
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have been gluten free for almost a year now. I was never tested for anything, I just do it because it helps with joint and gut stuff. I will never go back to gluten! I do agree though to not cut it out yet if you are going to be tested.

Good luck!

Stacy
  • ElvisBaby88
    ElvisBaby88 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I also have a sensitivity to gluten! It can be a little overwhelming in the beginning...but it gets easier! Add me!
  • sowich25
    sowich25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have sent you a friend request. Im not totally GF I can tolerate a modest dose of it.