simple food

Options
Has anyone got any easy, fairly bland, but using fresh and cheap produce, recipes that they could share?

I'll be honest, I'm eating crap, I logged for about 2 days when I was feeling great and then quickly settled into eating 'whatever' again.

I'm trying to sneak veg into my diet via wraps and last night I made a leek and potato soup, cheap, tasty, healthy and filling...this is the recipe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17586418

Don't think I could live off soup tho for long!

Much appreciated
Xx

Replies

• DorfsSunshine
    DorfsSunshine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When nothing sounds good and I don't feel like eating my husband will often saute up some bell pepper, onion and zucchini which he then sprinkles with a little cheese and whatever seasonings sound good. I never turn it down. Simple, fast & lots of veggies. Left overs? add some spaghetti sauce and toss with some pasta. Plus, you could substitute in any vegetable really.
  • heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    A simple salad with baby spinach, sliced strawberries, and walnuts with a little rasberry vinaigrette. I had that for lunch today and it was so yummy! I've also been doing some wraps lately when I don't feel like cooking. I'm trying to eat better now, I didn't do so great in the first trimester so I'm trying to get back to my healthier habits again for the second and third trimesters:) I'm also going to try making some soups soon. Soup and a sandwich is a nice choice. I love potato soup! I'm going to try making a creamy carrot soup and maybe some type of veggie stew. Sweet potatoes are good baked with a little cinnamon and butter to top. I also love casseroles maybe try looking for some casserole recipes that include lots of veggies. Chili is really good for you too if you make it veggie or use lean ground meat/turkey to cut back on the fat. I also like red beans and rice, here's a great recipe that I use to make it in the crock pot (I also add a tablespoon of liquid smoke and some salt to mine):
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=304612

To do that recipe in the crockpot you just dump it all in and let it simmer all day, I usually start it on high a few hours then turn it down to low, by dinnertime its ready to eat, just serve over some rice and yum yum
  • joflew
    joflew Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm eating paleo now did go off track for a few weeks but all my meals are paleo based and there are some fantastic sites online if u just google paleo recipes , x
  • lisa84usa
    lisa84usa Posts: 10
    Options
    Paleo- I had to google it but it sounds great. Simple meals I made recently were...
    1) Spinach Pasta Salad (just mix fresh chopped spinach 1:1 with bowtie pasta. Add a chopped tomato, some zesty italian dressing, and some grated parmesan/romano cheese.)

2) Vegetarian burrito (Cook pinto beans, freeze what you don't use. Cook rice and then saute it in a little oil on the stove, mixing in a little hot sauce to give it a little flavor. Put beans, rice, shredded lettuce, tomato, cheese, and salsa in a tortilla. Yum!)

3) Bean salad (Just mix together two different types of cooked beans, corn, and green beans with zesty italian dressing. I like to cook my own beans since canned food can contain BPA. The corn and green beans I buy frozen and thaw them in the microwave. Garbanzo beans go well in this.)

4) Lentil daal (Saute onion in a little oil and Indian spices like cumin, tumeric, curry powder, and cayenne pepper, then add lentils and water and simmer until lentils are done. If you have the energy, food process half of it at the end and then mix it back together).