Best workout DVDs?

Options
karinefitness
karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
Hi ladies!
I am new to this group. My BF & I just stopped using BC and we're TTC our first baby. We're taking a few months before we really 'try', but who knows what might happen. Needless to say, I am VERY excited (and nervous) =)

I currently weight train 4x a week (heavy lifting). I understand I'll have to modify my schedule once I get pregnant. I am trying to look for good pre-natal workout DVDs. Maybe some pilates & yoga? Any DVDs you would suggest?

I can't say I love yoga, I've done it a few times but I'm very unflexible which is why I want to work on that. I'm thinking of starting taking some Yoga class in a few weeks as well.

I also have a treadmill at home but I don't like running. Incline walking is fine though :)

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. And feel free to add me as a friend if you want :)

Replies

• jgolden3
    jgolden3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I bought Summer Sanders and Erin O'Brien pregnancy workout dvds. They break it into each trimester. I've not tried them yet, but they had great reviews on Amazon. I also want to start the Leslie Sansone walking DVD. Each day is a different level from 1 mile up to 5. I'm wondering if 4 or 5 is too much, anyone know? I'm so glad you posted this, I'm curious to see what most people are doing:)
  • aquapup
    aquapup Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like Lindsey Brin's DVD, I work out with that one a few days a week.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I have Crunch Yoga Mama (I think it's called!)... ordered it on Amazon. It's got to be at least 10 years old but I think it's pretty good.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    I am new to this group. My BF & I just stopped using BC and we're TTC our first baby. We're taking a few months before we really 'try', but who knows what might happen. Needless to say, I am VERY excited (and nervous) =)

I currently weight train 4x a week (heavy lifting). I understand I'll have to modify my schedule once I get pregnant. I am trying to look for good pre-natal workout DVDs. Maybe some pilates & yoga? Any DVDs you would suggest?
    Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. And feel free to add me as a friend if you want :)

Honestly, I am not an expert but have had lots of doctors consults with experts and read a lot. If you are TTC, you don't need prenatal workouts. You might want to cut back on the frequency and duration of your workouts (maybe not) if it is effecting your hormone balance. (I cut back on mine a little while TTC but had some hormone testing done by a reproductive endocrinologist and was having trouble. I also stopped deficit dieting for a while. This seemed to help, but I can't say for sure.) I do think some yoga and/or pilates would be a good thing as it would help with core strength and the relaxation and focus of yoga helps with stress (which can effect hormones). My ob-gyn says once pregnant you can pretty much do most types of exercise that you are already conditioned for. The main thing then is to avoid overheating (so hot yoga is usually discouraged) or anything where accidents are more likely than necessary (I was told no contact sports, sky diving, mountain biking, rock climing, heavy lifting without a spotter, etc). When you get bigger some exercises involving laying on the back are discouraged. And some of the hormones makes it easier to overstretch and injure yourself so careful form becomes more important (though it is always important). But likely, with modifications, if your pregnancy is "low risk" you should be able to do many of the activities you enjoy already.

One prenatal dvd you might like is a kettlebell workout by Lauren Brooks called "Baby Bells". I have a few prenatal workouts, this one is the hardest I've done but it doesn't seem unsafe. My only concern is it includes kettlebell swings--I replace them with deadlifts even though normally they are one of my favorite exercises. I also like a couple prenatal barre/fusion workouts by Suzanne Bowen. Some of the movements are slow, but she incorporates kegals and works on balance and core strength (in a sneaky way without crunches). I haven't found a prenatal dvd I like yet, so far the one's I've tried are too easy and a little dull. I may feel differently in later pregnancy, but I could not imagine enjoying them in the first trimester or before pregnancy. I am hoping to find a good one myself. There are a few decent sets, one is called "Expecting More" which is a two disk set with a few strength (bodyweight and lighter weight, not as challenging as the Baby Bells mentioned but not bad), a few cardio (that are pretty good though short) and a stretch yoga/fusion workout. I have a Lindsey Brin set I got really cheap on ebay that has a workout for each trimester and one for post natal. These are a mix of aerobic circuits and light weight strength. I only did the first trimester, her cuing annoys me a little i.e. she calls the glutes "bun cakes" repeatedly.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'd second what Kimsied said...you really don't need to change anything while TTC. I went thru infertility treatments, including IVF, and changing my exercise routine was a big question I had for my MD. She assured me there was no need to make any changes. Once I was pregnant, my body really told me what was too much and what was just right. She did encourage yoga during the treatments, but I think it was primarily for the calming nature of it (IVF has the potential to get very stressful).

While pregnant I did a lot of walking, some running (including two 5k's), some spinning/bike riding, weights, yoga... I pretty much did what I did before, but with less intensity or for shorter durations. A girlfriend gave me some DVD's that went by trimester, and they were ok but I enjoyed doing my own thing more than following the DVD.
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    From what I understand based on your post, you are looking for workouts to try once you become pregnant. I have the Tracey Anderson Pregnancy Project DVDs. In my opinion it is pretty challenging. There is a separate DVD for each month of pregnancy, and they are suited to the energy level associated with each month. I have only done month three, because that's when I got the set, and that's where I'm at in my pregnancy currently. In this DVD we are doing a lot of leg lifts, it works the core pretty good.
  • karinefitness
    Options
    From what I understand based on your post, you are looking for workouts to try once you become pregnant. I have the Tracey Anderson Pregnancy Project DVDs. In my opinion it is pretty challenging. There is a separate DVD for each month of pregnancy, and they are suited to the energy level associated with each month. I have only done month three, because that's when I got the set, and that's where I'm at in my pregnancy currently. In this DVD we are doing a lot of leg lifts, it works the core pretty good.

Yes, exactly! Right now I am still lifting often and heavy and I don't plan on changing that. I actually want to keep lifting once I'm pregnant but I'm someone who anticipates everything and would like to have a plan B (ie home workout DVD) in case I can't get to the gym or just as a bonus to try at home. Maybe I could get my BF to try some of them with me ;)

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, information and everything :)
  • karinefitness
    Options
    Hi ladies!

Honestly, I am not an expert but have had lots of doctors consults with experts and read a lot. If you are TTC, you don't need prenatal workouts. You might want to cut back on the frequency and duration of your workouts (maybe not) if it is effecting your hormone balance. (I cut back on mine a little while TTC but had some hormone testing done by a reproductive endocrinologist and was having trouble. I also stopped deficit dieting for a while. This seemed to help, but I can't say for sure.) I do think some yoga and/or pilates would be a good thing as it would help with core strength and the relaxation and focus of yoga helps with stress (which can effect hormones). My ob-gyn says once pregnant you can pretty much do most types of exercise that you are already conditioned for. The main thing then is to avoid overheating (so hot yoga is usually discouraged) or anything where accidents are more likely than necessary (I was told no contact sports, sky diving, mountain biking, rock climing, heavy lifting without a spotter, etc). When you get bigger some exercises involving laying on the back are discouraged. And some of the hormones makes it easier to overstretch and injure yourself so careful form becomes more important (though it is always important). But likely, with modifications, if your pregnancy is "low risk" you should be able to do many of the activities you enjoy already.

One prenatal dvd you might like is a kettlebell workout by Lauren Brooks called "Baby Bells". I have a few prenatal workouts, this one is the hardest I've done but it doesn't seem unsafe. My only concern is it includes kettlebell swings--I replace them with deadlifts even though normally they are one of my favorite exercises. I also like a couple prenatal barre/fusion workouts by Suzanne Bowen. Some of the movements are slow, but she incorporates kegals and works on balance and core strength (in a sneaky way without crunches). I haven't found a prenatal dvd I like yet, so far the one's I've tried are too easy and a little dull. I may feel differently in later pregnancy, but I could not imagine enjoying them in the first trimester or before pregnancy. I am hoping to find a good one myself. There are a few decent sets, one is called "Expecting More" which is a two disk set with a few strength (bodyweight and lighter weight, not as challenging as the Baby Bells mentioned but not bad), a few cardio (that are pretty good though short) and a stretch yoga/fusion workout. I have a Lindsey Brin set I got really cheap on ebay that has a workout for each trimester and one for post natal. These are a mix of aerobic circuits and light weight strength. I only did the first trimester, her cuing annoys me a little i.e. she calls the glutes "bun cakes" repeatedly.

Thank you for this!!
    Yes, my doctor says I should keep doing everything I am doing at the moment for as long as I can. I wanted to incorporate yoga and pilates in my routine for a long time but I don't enjoy it very much... Pregnancy kind of makes me want to try it, some more flexibility can't hurt, right? I will check out that kettlebell DVD. I need to get myself some KB at home, I enjoy training with them but have none in my 'home gym'.