Vegan for Lent (and hopefully beyond)

Options
veganbeanie
veganbeanie Posts: 5 Member
Hello. Today is my first day of vegan living. I originally planned to go vegan for Lent in order to raise money and awareness for Compassion in World Farming. I'm still doing this (raised £415 so far - yay!) but I would like to stick to the lifestyle long-term for ethical reasons. Most of my family and friends are supportive but they don't understand why I would do this (they don't think it's healthy or practical) and I don't actually know any vegans which makes me feel a little alone. Any tips or advice for eating healthily the vegan way would be appreciated. I have no desire whatsoever to eat meat again but I cannot pretend I will not miss cheese and plain yoghurt. The alternatives I've tried so far have left me underwhelmed...

Oh, and I'm in the UK which I appreciate is far better than many places to go vegan but we do appear to be behind the USA when it comes to vegan goodies. I hope we catch up soon!

Replies

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! Being vegan is one of my proudest accomplishments. :)

Try not to think of it as missing out, or not eating the stuff you enjoy, try to focus on the things you now DO eat. :) That's my biggest word of advice.
  • veganbeanie
    Options
    Thank you! Yes - I can see a whole new world opening up before me :)
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    yay! Always exciting to have new vegans... :)
    It takes some time until you stop missing all those foods you used to eat. It's only natural... But there are so many other things out there we've never heard of, and it's fun to investigate new things and new techniques. Really I found that for anything you want, you can just google "vegan xyz" and you'll get loads of recipes.
    Personally I don't like the "alternatives" as well. They're usually overpriced and not that delicious anyway... So I think it's best to get to know things that are already vegan and are delicious (though alternatives can help ease into this). Instead of cheese I just prepare my own hummus and guacamole. They're much nicer to my taste and it's cheaper and I think also healthier since you know what's in it.
  • veganbeanie
    Options
    Thanks!
  • lumiereducoeur
    lumiereducoeur Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on trying out a new way of life :-)

Good for you. Don't be afraid to try different kinds of foods, and don't be discouraged by how new recipes turn out the first few times. You've got this!
  • veganbeanie
    Options
    Thank you. I was actually pretty disheartened by how a mushroom bolognese turned out last night but I'll just keep trying!
  • NiikouruDesu
    Options
    Hey! Great choice! Turning vegan is one of the best things I have ever done. It made me more aware of what place I have in the world and has changed my perspective on everything, including my friends, my beliefs, my prospective career and which degree I study at University. I have spent hundreds of hours over the past 2 years studying and doing my own research on veganism and have discovered there are many niches within it. You can look into books like "The China Study" or "801010 diet" for ideas. There have been many studies done. There are people on YouTube who have great recipe ideas and who have their own blogs. If you develop an interest in raw foods, a word of caution is to avoid too much fats as it causes health issues. Raw food calories seem to be available from fruits predominantly, although of course veg is necessary. Otherwise, a McDougall style diet is considered the next-best thing, including potatoes, wholegrains, beans, nuts and seeds as well. There is a group of high-carb-raw-vegans who believe that optimum health and disease reversal can only be fully achieved by a raw food vegan diet and that eating 2500+ calories for a woman will give you weightloss (30bananasaday.com), take everything with a grain of salt, make slow changes and find out and repeat what works for you.
    Good luck :)
  • klappeh
    klappeh Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey! Congrats on going vegan..it really is the best decision I've made too, as others have said! I personally do enjoy faux meats like fieldroast (not sure if they have this in the UK), but I try not to make them a staple of my diet. I've found that Pinterest is the mecca of yummy vegan recipes. Give that a try? I think everything else others have said here is legit :) Good luck!
  • veganbeanie
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    What do vegans set for a protein goal? I feel the default setting is too high.
  • klappeh
    klappeh Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    lots of vegan do 80-10-10 (80% carbs, 10% protein, 10% fat)..protein is not needed in such quantities for humans as many like to think. In fact too much protein can lead to things like gout :/
    Of course with such high carb numbers, ideally you'd be getting these carbs from fruits and vegetables, grains nuts and seeds--not all processed carbs like bread and pasta..although those are okay sometimes.
    Not to say you HAVE to do 80-10-10..I think mine is set at 50-20-30 and it's been working fine for me.

Plant protein powder is a good way to get in extra protein. I use Lifetime brand Life's Basics Plant Protein Powder in vanilla. Each serving has 22g protein. Add that to a smoothie in the morning or plain with some water or almond milk and you're good to go. :)
  • Kenazwa
    Options
    Thank you klappeh. After today, I will have been vegan for an entire week, so I'm new to it. It feels absolutely right.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    For the protein question, I'm pretty active fitness wise, training for a marathon as well as doing strength and cross training, and on most days protein makes up 15-25% of my dietary intake. I've started trying to eat more nuts and seeds to increase the fat % lately as well. I can honestly say I'm at a better place today with 19 days until my next marathon than I was for the previous 2, when I wasn't trying to eat vegan. I'm not 100% vegan, I still have some bumps on the road from time to time, but it has made a big difference. So, don't worry about the carbs to protein ratio too much, if you eat the right stuff you will be OK.
    And as for the plant protein powder, I eat oatmeal almost every morning for breakfast and will add at least a scoop of protein powder to the mix...so that is always a good idea to have some of that on hand.
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am 24 days into doing the Eat to Live eating plan by Dr. Joel Fuhrman doing the 60-day aggressive weight loss plan. I am loving it - this month I lost 10 pounds. DH and I have been trying to go vegan for about 4 years looking for supportive people wanting to go vegan and to share recipes with. Right now I am limiting my whole grains. I get most of my protein from spinach and kale, beans, nuts and seeds. I am also lifting weights and do 5 miles every other day. I have some weight to lose, looking to lose another 28 pounds (just lost 28 pounds). Of course, Dr. Fuhrman states your body will find its ideal weight.
  • Kenazwa
    Options
    I thought of all the things I would no longer be eating and concluded that it would be a lot easier to keep my calorie count lower with a vegan diet. haha - not! I am doing better at logging, though. It's interesting; I feel different inside my head somehow. Hard to describe. But logging is no longer an almost unbearable chore.