Costco

Options
jpfly
jpfly Posts: 17 Member
Where do you all shop for healthy food? Fruit and veg is so expensive in the cities! I go to Lunds a lot and I need to find something cheaper. Does anybody shop at Costco? Is it good for healthy food and worth the membership? I cannot wait for summer! I am dying for fresh peaches!

Replies

• SpeedGibson
    SpeedGibson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We do some CostCo but as now empty nesters, most quantities are just too impractical. We have a few key items, like their Kirkland spaghetti sauce, surprisingly good for a house brand, vibrant tomato flavor. One annoyance is that they will have a spectacular chicken sausage one visit, then switch brands to kiddie-bland the next. Sooner or later somebody is going to figure out Web grocery shopping so we can stick with good items.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I tried Costco and love it, but, sadly, I will be letting my membership expire. It is too far from my house, and there are only 3 people in my household, so I don't like to buy certain things in bulk. The membership is $55 and really not worth it to me.

I like Whole Foods and Trader Joes, but it can be spendy $$ - also a good 40 minutes from home so I don't go there much either.

I would guess Cub Foods and Rainbow might be more affordable. Only downside is if you want organic, the section is small.

The most affordable: Probably going to be Aldi, but I have never been there to see what they have.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I love Costco but the portions are a bit much. We do love the fruit and veggie selections there. If you have a friend or family member you could go in with and split things, it might work out well.

One of the bloggers I follow recently became an ambassador for Aldi because they are going to start carrying more organic and health conscience foods!
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    We get most of our fruits and veggies from Aldi, and most of the time they're pretty good. If we can't find something there, we'll go to Cub (or Rainbow if that's closer to you) to buy it. Aldi has the cheapest food I've ever seen though, and they have a whole line of "Fit and Active" products that can be a great alternative.

The only issue with Aldi is that it's primarily for staples. If you're getting fancy with your cooking, they probably won't have it. They do have a small organic fruits/veggie section though if that's your concern. A lot of people are put off because Aldi can look kind of ghetto no matter how nice of a neighborhood it's in. However, that's part of why their prices are so low. I'm a huge fan of Aldi.
  • mpls_heather
    Options
    We tend to shop for our fruits and veggies at Cub, Target, or Byerly's. It seems to be pretty hit or miss at Cub, so in the last month it has been Target and/or Byerly's. I have bought at Whole Foods before, but it is pricey. Sometimes, it is worth the cost. In the summer, we get everything from either our garden or the Farmer's Market on Lyndale, we go there pretty much every Sunday. Mini donuts, fresh lemonade, and fresh fruits and veggies... I cannot wait!
  • jpfly
    jpfly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!!!
  • mfrankrn
    mfrankrn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do shop at Costco. Their prices on coconut is half of the cheapest I have found anywhere else. I also like to buy produce there because I do my best to not let anything go bad and I am going to finish that pound of spinach instead of cheating with something else.