Struggling to run 1 mile!

Options
So I went today for my first run. It was awful! I run for 1 mile and when I arrived I could hardly breath and my face looked like a red traffic light. The problem is not that I don't have the strength but my breathing is really bad. My chest was burning! Please can anyone tell me if this is normal? I admit that I have never run a lot and I don't do regular exercise but even so I thought I would last more than 1 mile?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• CNG223
    CNG223 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Once you get control of your breathing, you'll see a huge difference. I was similar when I started running, my husband runs regularly so I asked him for advice and he told me what the military told him at first. As you get into your run breathe in through your nose for however many steps until your lungs feel full, then exhale through your mouth for the same amount of steps. For me, I breathe in through my nose for 3 steps then out of my mouth for 3 steps. When I speed up like for a sprint, I'll do this for 2 steps instead of 3 since my heart rate is elevated. If I feel my breathing start to get out of control, I'll just count my steps in my head "1,2,3 (in through nose)...1,2,3...(out through mouth)" until I feel my heart rate come down a little bit. This has brought me to be able to run 3 miles, I'm working on upping it to 4 now. I hope that helps and made sense, its hard to explain while typing. This works good for walking too...when I cool down, I count my steps for 4 at a time and breath in for 4 and out for 4. It really brings me heart rate down after a run.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself! And maybe try the c25k plan. Not only will you learn to run more than a mile, but it trains you in a way where you aren't over exerting yourself continuously. Run, walk, run, walk. I love c25k!
  • im_all_in
    im_all_in Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Once you get control of your breathing, you'll see a huge difference. I was similar when I started running, my husband runs regularly so I asked him for advice and he told me what the military told him at first. As you get into your run breathe in through your nose for however many steps until your lungs feel full, then exhale through your mouth for the same amount of steps. For me, I breathe in through my nose for 3 steps then out of my mouth for 3 steps. When I speed up like for a sprint, I'll do this for 2 steps instead of 3 since my heart rate is elevated. If I feel my breathing start to get out of control, I'll just count my steps in my head "1,2,3 (in through nose)...1,2,3...(out through mouth)" until I feel my heart rate come down a little bit. This has brought me to be able to run 3 miles, I'm working on upping it to 4 now. I hope that helps and made sense, its hard to explain while typing. This works good for walking too...when I cool down, I count my steps for 4 at a time and breath in for 4 and out for 4. It really brings me heart rate down after a run.

Great advice! I too struggle as I have never been a runner so I'm looking forward to trying this! Thanks!
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The above is great advice, I've never heard it before and am looking forward to trying it for my sprints. But I'd also like to say that running a FULL MILE on your FIRST RUN is a LOT. You may find it easier to run/walk for a little. Programs like C25K are great for beginners (or people like me coming back from injury/illness). In 8 weeks you could be running 3 miles full on.