Scheduled Surgery looking for advice

Options
jlynn0422
jlynn0422 Posts: 8 Member
I have surgery scheduled for April 24th and my anxiety is thru the roof! I know and have my mind set that this is not a cure but simply a tool to help me achieve my weight loss goals. Looking for any and all advice to help me with this process! I start the Bariatric Healthy Eating Diet tomorrow and start the liquid diet on April 10th. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• lorigregory50
    Options
    Hi, jlynn. I had gastric sleeve surgery in September 13, just passed my 6 month mark. It helped me to be as knowledgeable as possible before surgery - I read a lot, and talked to people who had the surgery too. Sometimes their information was the most helpful!

There are lots of people here who will give you good advice - they have helped me in the past.

Seems you already have a good mindset, that the surgery is not a miracle cure.

I would recommend start looking for protein drinks and powders, to see which ones you prefer. I use Unjury unflavored protein powder, but there lots of them out there.

Let me know how things are going for you!
  • kalilioness
    kalilioness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hello JLynn, I was sleeved on 11/12/13 and have lost almost 60 pounds. I learned a lot on a Facebook page called Bariatric Friendly. It has a large following so you get plenty of information and the administrator, Joclyn, is wonderful. I would suggest you check it out. My experience with the sleeve has been wonderful so far. I am 4 months out as of yesterday and can eat everything except for high citrus foods. My Dr. said to try again at the 6 month mark. My struggle is mental, and I am working it through every day. If you follow your doctor's orders to the letter you should be ok. I had minimal pain after the surgery and my real struggle was with trying to get protein shakes and water in. Don't rush it or panic! It will fall into place before you know it. I also did not rush back to work before the two weeks were up. It is major surgery and your energy level will vary greatly. If you have any questions I am glad to answer them, if I can. Everyone's experience is different but I am happy to share it with you. Have a great day!
  • kalilioness
    kalilioness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    by mental I mean that I am trying to figure out what I really want when my tummy is full and my head is saying "EAT" :)
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    There are some things that you might want to work on pre-surgery to make life a bit easier. Granted, I had the RNY 18 months ago, however many of the first steps are similar.

1. Work on sipping water. Constantly sip instead of gulp. Your stomach will be incredibly inflamed post surgery and it won't be able to hold much if anything at all.
    2. Work on the 30/30 rule. No liquids during a meal. Take 30 minutes to eat your meal, then no liquids for 30 minutes after it.
    3. Chew slowly, and very throughly. My surgeon told me to aim for peanut butter consistency before swallowing. Put the fork down between bites. Don't load it up while you chew your first bite.
    4. Don't bother finding a protein powder you like now. Everything will taste different after surgery, weird, but true.

If you concentrate on these things, it might make the anxiety better - keeps your mind off the surgery and on the task at hand. I won't lie to you, the first few weeks SUCK! You'll have buyer's remorse, or a feeling of, "Why did I do this to myself?". Don't worry that's normal. Just work on getting your protein and water in daily, and the rest will come. You'll get stronger every day, and watch the weight just shed off. The real struggle will begin after about 6 or 8 months. You might start getting hungry again and you'll be entering more of a maintenance phase. Make sure you form the habit of weighing your food and yourself soon after surgery. You'll have to do it for the rest of your life. The surgery, and recovery may be the painful part, but the truly hard part is maintaining your new weight.

I still weigh 90% or so of my food, and I still do my own weekly weight check-ins. I spend 4 to 5 hours a week in a gym so that I don't lose my new body. You have to work at it. 50% of weight loss surgery patients gain it all back in 5 years. We all went through too much pain and suffering to simply gain it all back! Form the good habits early so that they stick!
  • jlynn0422
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your advice! I actually have already been drinking Body By Vi protein shakes for about a year now and have cleared it with my doctor/nutritionist that it is ok.

I have talked with my family and they are all being 100% supportive of this and have all said they would help me in anyway shape or form.

As far as exercising goes....my daughter and I plan on working out daily after I have surgery (more like a mother daughter bonding time).

I have struggled with weight my entire life and I can't see going thru all this only to gain it back. I feel bad for those who have. We can't look at it as a cure, but simply a tool to help us achieve our goals! And we can't look at it as a diet, as dieting is temporary, but we have to look at is as a lifestyle change, meaning permanent!!

I am nervous, but extremely anxious and excited to get a new start on the rest of my life! My kids mean the world to me and I want to be able to participate in any and every activity that they want me to! I am determined! God is giving me a 2nd chance at a better body & life & I am going to take this chance and prove to him, myself and everyone else that it can be done.
  • csmccord
    Options
    That's the spirit! I think education and support from family are the most important things. When your doctors tell you to do something, ask why. Educate yourself from those that are successful and follow many of the tips they give you. It can make your life easier.

As far as support, I'm lucky enough that my wife went through the RNY process 6 weeks before me. I saw what she went through and learned from it. Made my surgery that much easier. We are also able to support each other as we are on the same diet now, and like to eat the same things. It makes it so much easier to not have to worry about a significant other that constantly wants to eat things that I shouldn't be having.

I've found websites are great as well! Here are my favorite for meals!

1. http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ - Her blog is awesome! Read her story and see what she's done!
    2. http://www.skinnytaste.com/ - Recipes that are weightwatchers friendly. Most are going only for after puree stage.
    3. http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/ - Another RNY patient who love to experiment with her food. She does some weird stuff!
    4. http://iowagirleats.com/ - Another post puree stage website. We've made a few of her recipes now with great results. Thai steak lettuce wraps! MMMMMM......
  • cyndiblock1
    Options
    Hi there!! I am scheduled for surgery for the sleeve on April 9th, 2014. I am scared that I will fail. I have failed every diet I have been on and just cannot imagine anything working for me. The biggest thing I have had to overcome was what to tell everyone. I had to put time in at work so I just told my boss that I am having surgery for stomach issues. He did not go into it thankfully but now I feel ashamed. I work at a place where everyone is extremely active and I don't want anyone to look at this as the "easy way out." I hope to join everyone here with their activities after I lose the weight. Please stay on this community group so we can compare notes. I am curious on what everyone on here told everyone they were having done.
  • randiwoods1
    randiwoods1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just got scheduled for my sleeve on April 22nd and I'm super excited! I've told a few close coworkers what the surgery is, and the rest that I'll just be out for surgery. While I'm not worried about their accepting what I'm doing or not (I really don't care what they think), I just don't think it's everybody's business. They'll figure it out as I start losing my 125 lbs, or they won't.

What's got me a bit stressed now is all the stuff that I need to do BEFORE the surgery - another pre-surgical class, a day off to be "scoped", an appt. with my GP, stocking up on protein, vitamins and soft foods.

I've started a list but I'm still finding myself waking up at 3 am as I think of more things to do.

I live in a climate where the seasons change dramatically. What do you guys think about my donating my winter clothes instead of packing them away? This time, next year, I shouldn't be able to wear the majority of them, right?
  • cyndiblock1
    Options
    I am not getting rid of anything until it falls off of me. As I said, I will believe it when I see it. I am finished with all of my Pre ops. My GP was very excited for me. My nutritionist told us about the pre mixed protein shakes to try before the surgery. She told us not to buy anything in bulk because we will get sick of it and be left with it. She also told us that we can eat Greek yogurt without any fruit in it. She warned that we will only be eating a 1/4 of the container if that. I had a close friend who had the surgery last year and never followed any of the "rules and she looks great. I plan on doing what the dr tells me to do but my point is to relax. You will be fine. I am so happy I found this community page.
  • csmccord
    Options
    I just got scheduled for my sleeve on April 22nd and I'm super excited! I've told a few close coworkers what the surgery is, and the rest that I'll just be out for surgery. While I'm not worried about their accepting what I'm doing or not (I really don't care what they think), I just don't think it's everybody's business. They'll figure it out as I start losing my 125 lbs, or they won't.

What's got me a bit stressed now is all the stuff that I need to do BEFORE the surgery - another pre-surgical class, a day off to be "scoped", an appt. with my GP, stocking up on protein, vitamins and soft foods.

I've started a list but I'm still finding myself waking up at 3 am as I think of more things to do.

I live in a climate where the seasons change dramatically. What do you guys think about my donating my winter clothes instead of packing them away? This time, next year, I shouldn't be able to wear the majority of them, right?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about stocking up on food, protein, etc. Believe it or not, your tastes will change post-surgery. I did the same thing, found a protein that I liked pre-surgery, then stocked up on it. Found that it made me gag post surgery and wasted about 200 bucks on it. Other issues that are fairly common are not being able to tolerate foods that you could before surgery. For example, I can't tolerate milk or shrimp anymore.

So, worry less about the food, protein, or anything else that has flavor. As for your clothes, I wouldn't get rid of them until you are sure that you don't need them. I wear a large shirt, and I still have some XL or 2X shirts that I wear sometimes. If you don't want them in your drawers, then put them on a shelf, or in a box temporarily.
  • jlynn0422
    Options
    This is by far an easy way out! Look what we have to do just to even have the surgery done. STRICT diets!! I to have tried every diet under the sun. I'll lose then gain, then lose and gain it all plus some back. It has definitely been a roller coaster ride for me!

Do not be ashamed!! Not everyone understands how hard it truly is for some people.

This surgery isn't a cure, but simply a tool to help you lose weight and achieve your goals. Don't tell yourself you can't! You CAN!!! You will be successful. You have it in you and I believe you can do whatever you put your mind to.

I joined this group not too long ago and the support from everyone is amazing!! If you get discouraged, reach out to someone. Complete your daily log. You will be surprised how a simple like or comment on your post from a complete stranger can brighten up your day.

Every morning when I wake up I weigh myself and immediately log it! I find myself anxiously waiting for a notification telling me someone has liked it or commented on it.

We are here for you when you need us!

You can and will be successful at this! You're a rock star!
  • lorigregory50
    Options
    @cyndiblock1 - I read from someone on MFP that their reply to people's questions was, "eating less and exercising more". Which is true, to a point, and generally enough to satisfy most people.

Keep working it!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    You will experience a wide range of emotions during this time. Many of them may not be what you're used to. I was absolutely OBSESSED with learning as much as I could prior to surgery. A good thing I guess. I went in fully informed. My procedure went pretty easy, I guess. I was the first patient on a Monday morning in mid October and was released form the hospital a day early, 24 hours after my procedure. I was sore and tired, but felt WAY better than anticipated. I was able to go back to work the middle of the next week. It will be hard to get your liquids and protein in when you first get home. Don't stress about the protein the first week. Get your fluids! If the protein goes down easy for you its a bonus, but don't allow yourself to get dehydrated. You'll probably have to plan a snack schedule for at least the first few months. I got scolded for not eating enough and told to get a few more calories by adding high protein snacks. Sargento cheese sticks worked well. Move as much as you can. You'll heal faster.

Don't pre-buy a bunch of products. Supplements, okay, you're going to need them anyway but protein drinks... Try some now, have a few on hand, but know that your tastes may change. Mine did. I preferred home-mixed Unjury chocolate or vanilla with mango pieces pre-op. Still like it on occasion, but my "go-to" is now Syntrax Nectar Iced lemon Tea. Many of the Nectar products mix with water and are simply easier to swallow, (not a rich) post-op. Other than that, I like the same foods I did pre-op and don't have any issues with anything in particular now at 5 months out except Chinese Fried Rice. Not all rice, just fried rice. Sushi goes down just fine.

This is a fantastic tool but you still have to "work it". I log every bite in MFP, burn 600 calories 5+ days per week in exercise and enjoy a small treat almost daily. I never feel guilty or deprived because I work it onto my meal plan of 1000-1200 calories with 75g of protein. It feels like I've learned to eat like a thin person. I have 27 lbs to go and it's still coming off at a rate of 1-2 lbs per week. At this rate I should reach my goal of 100 lbs gone before my surgiversary in October.

Good luck with your procedure. You're gonna do great!
  • ujuoba
    ujuoba Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am three weeks post-op, and I too, experienced so much of what you're feeling. This forum and this community of people offer great advice & support. They are simply all Angels! Stay connected to the marvelous mentors here, I have found this community to be equal to none! .
    I also learned the hard way, not to spend a lot of money on stocking a pantry with Protein supplements, powders & drinks. Daily I'm confronted with packages of Syntax Nectar, Unjury's Chicken Broth, BariWise Gelatin and tubs of Protein powders that I can't manage (ick) AFTER my surgery. It is so very true that your taste preferences change AFTER surgery.