Finishing P90X...what next?

Options
Pace1216
Pace1216 Posts: 12 Member
Hello! I will be finishing my first 90 day round of P90X in the next 3 weeks, and looking forward to my next challenge! I am considering P90X 3 or Insanity. For those who have done either of these, what do you think were the biggest benefits and downfalls to these programs? Thanks!

Replies

• Devasation
    Devasation Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    (The following is from personal experience, and may not apply to others)

Insanity:

Benefits: Huge calorie burns, and when you're done, your cardiovascular conditioning will be pretty darn good.

Downfalls: The workouts are difficult. Very difficult, and to some, that can be discouraging. The intensity of the workouts is pretty punishing, and things do tend to ache, especially feet, knees, etc. Make sure you have the appropriate sneakers and insoles before starting. Insanity is definitely all about the cardio and fat burning, but you'll also be burning the muscle you built during P90X. In order to maintain your muscle mass, you're gonna need to dial in your diet just right.

P90X3 (Disclaimer, only did P90X3 a couple of weeks, so this opinion is based solely on those two weeks)

Benefits: Shorter workouts. About 30 minutes for each. Kind of a blend between P90X and P90X2, with a lot more synergistic exercises (working multiple body parts at once). If you get your diet dialed in, I'm pretty sure you can maintain and/or improve on the results you achieved with P90X.

Downfalls: Shorter workouts equals less calories burned, so you'll need to adjust your diet accordingly, which is why I stopped doing X3. I like to eat, and the thought of restricting my diet another couple of hundred calories a day was a real drag. Also, X3 Ab Ripper doesn't come with the base kit. A lot of the exercises are core centric, so it shouldn't be a problem, but P90X and Ab Ripper go together like peanut butter and jelly.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the program that targets my overall fitness (strength, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, etc.), which would be X3.

If you want to lose more weight, I'd go with Insanity.

If you want the best of both worlds, go for a P90X/Insanity hybrid.
  • Pace1216
    Options

Insanity:

Benefits: Huge calorie burns, and when you're done, your cardiovascular conditioning will be pretty darn good.

Downfalls: The workouts are difficult. Very difficult, and to some, that can be discouraging. The intensity of the workouts is pretty punishing, and things do tend to ache, especially feet, knees, etc. Make sure you have the appropriate sneakers and insoles before starting. Insanity is definitely all about the cardio and fat burning, but you'll also be burning the muscle you built during P90X. In order to maintain your muscle mass, you're gonna need to dial in your diet just right.

P90X3 (Disclaimer, only did P90X3 a couple of weeks, so this opinion is based solely on those two weeks)

Benefits: Shorter workouts. About 30 minutes for each. Kind of a blend between P90X and P90X2, with a lot more synergistic exercises (working multiple body parts at once). If you get your diet dialed in, I'm pretty sure you can maintain and/or improve on the results you achieved with P90X.

Downfalls: Shorter workouts equals less calories burned, so you'll need to adjust your diet accordingly, which is why I stopped doing X3. I like to eat, and the thought of restricting my diet another couple of hundred calories a day was a real drag. Also, X3 Ab Ripper doesn't come with the base kit. A lot of the exercises are core centric, so it shouldn't be a problem, but P90X and Ab Ripper go together like peanut butter and jelly.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the program that targets my overall fitness (strength, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, etc.), which would be X3.

• Pace1216
    Options

Insanity:

Thanks, that helps a lot! So, next question....what does the P90X/Insanity Hybrid entail? Is it just alternating days between the two?
  • Devasation
    Options
    Here's the link to the P90X/Insanity Hybrid sheet provided by beachbody, giving you their schedule:

http://www.teambeachbody.com/home/-/dl_get_file/d35f8de1-d294-4585-9b3a-1d7c5b21c37a

Basically, you replace the P90X cardio workouts (P90X Plyometrics and Kenpo) with Insanity workouts

The first two phases, you do the shorter Insanity Workouts (about 40 minutes), and the last phase you kick up to the Max Interval workouts (about an hour), and the recovery weeks are also a mix of Insanity recovery and P90X.

Your cardio will definitely improve...Insanity is...well, it's insane.
  • Pace1216
    Options
    Thanks! Looking forward to trying it! I have 3 weeks left of P90X and hoping to see even better results with adding in the Insanity...hopefully I can make it through!!
  • Devasation
    Options
    Thanks! Looking forward to trying it! I have 3 weeks left of P90X and hoping to see even better results with adding in the Insanity...hopefully I can make it through!!

Best of luck. When it comes to the Insanity workouts, just do your best. Don't worry about keeping up with the folks on the videos. You'll keep improving with every workout.
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Consider BodyBeast! Oh my goodness it's so fun! Do you prefer the cardio or lifting part of P90X? I have bad knees so Insanity isn't possible for me- I'm sooo glad I gave BodyBeast a shot. I can't say enough wonderful things about it. Drawback: equipment.

I did 6 weeks of P90X3 and wasn't feeling it at all. It's not that it was easy but it wasn't a big challenge after P90X either. It left me lacklustered.