Breads

Options
Hello All :)

New to the group and I was hoping maybe some of you have some advice :)

Has anyone found a good tasting gluten free bread? I have a gluten intolerence and the only breads I've been able to find can literally break your teeth and taste HORRIBLE. I know I could always attempt to make my own but with a full time job, full time college schedule and planning a wedding who has that kind of time!? :)

I've been lucky to find a pasta that my fiance (who doesn't have a gluten intolerence) and myself like better!

Any tips would be appreciated because I'm trying to pack lunches to not only lose weight but save money and I'm getting "salad-ed out" ha :)

Thanks!

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I've never found a gluten free bread that tasted good without toasting. However once toasted I am a fan of Udi's bread. Rudi's is my #2 choice and Glutino's Genius bread would be my #3 pick.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of most gluten free breads, but I do like Udi's bread and hamburger buns. I usually get the whole grain ones they make. It's best toasted prior to making your sandwich. I tried a few other brands, but I did not like them at all. Can be expensive, so I don't eat bread very often these days.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I have a lady with Celiac disease who makes the most amazing breads & pizza crusts (she supplies one of the local Nutter's bulk & health food stores and several pizza joints around our area). My favorite of hers is the Onion & Cheese bread made with brown rice and other flours & seeds. It has more of the texture of a banana loaf but is amazing toasted especially. I know that's not too helpful but I have to brag on her lol. My second choice when I want a lighter bread is Glutino Flax seed, it's actually the only other one I like and it can be pretty hard to find (I guess it's pretty popular). Toasting these breads helps them hold together since they don't have the elastic gluten protein in them.

I use about one loaf a month, keeping it in an airtight freezer bag, so I'm not really missing bread as I was never a huge sandwich fan anyhow. I like to make extra at suppertime and take leftovers to nuke at lunch.
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Most gluten free bread is awful - when I need a packed lunch I would rather go for cold pasta or rice with added chopped chicken, cucumber, beans etc or even cold jacket potatoes filled with tuna/sweetcorn mayo etc. Or try crackers and crudites with dips such as hummous.

When it is cold, try making a nice thick homemade soup such as bacon and lentil and popping it in a wide necked thermos flask. This is a rwally cheap and filling option :)

Packed lunches are the hardest meal to cope with. Good luck.
  • weather_nerd
    Options
    I've been lucky to find one in my city that is made by an independent/small company. However, I only like their cheese bread. Everything else tastes like cardboard (as is what I find with most gf breads).

L.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm new to gluten free as well and the only kind I've tried is Udi's. I really don't mind it! I usually have it toasted though.
  • Bethie8585
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I'll have to try some of these brands :) Most wraps I've found are also like cardboard, bought a corn based one and it literally falls apart when you WRAP IT...oy. ha
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Rudi's has really good tortillas. Also I've tried another brand I like but the name escapes me. I buy them at Food Lion and the name is long and starts with a T. Not much help I know! lol
  • GillaMahogany
    Options
    As others have said, Udi's and Rudi's, for both bread and wraps. If you can't find them in your area you could try asking the grocery store people to order them for you, I've had good luck at mine with requesting them to carry items. The hard part of both of these is that they have to stay frozen, so you can't travel with them.
    I agree too with whoever it was that said to try cold pasta salad or rice. I eat cold rice quinoa chicken mixture at work all the time. Packed lunches is indeed the hardest meal to figure out when you're gluten free. When I was first eating this way I took two corn tortillas and made a flat sandwich from them for lack of a better idea!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Rollups in romaine lettuce leaves are a good choice for packing lunch. Just take the filling (usually leftovers & extra chopped up veg/meat/cheese in a separate container. That way you can nuke to heat or eat cold if you wish. Just make a 'boat' with a leaf, fill and roll up lengthways and go for it like a burrito.
    Liana
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory makes an ok gluten free wrap. Also, I don't know where you are, but Queen Street Bakery brand bread is fantastic. It's gluten free and doesn't have a lot of the junk that most gluten free bread has. It's only available in and around Toronto, though.

You could always try making your own as another option. I've pretty much given up on eating bread at this point... it's just easier.