Hello

Options
KittiePerry
KittiePerry Posts: 133 Member
Hi, my name is Katherine and I've had PCOS since I was 11 years old... For the longest time I didn't know what was wrong with me and it was scary, not having periods, gaining weight, growing a mustache, and still having the symptoms of a period minus the actual ovulating process...

I've been wanting kids for a long time but I need to lose weight, which I know will probably take a year or two. It's just so hard thinking of the fact that I may be infertile, I know they have medicines but just to me it's a really scary thought...

I've been trying to lose weight for YEARS but I can never seem to stick to it because I hate doing things like this on my own. I hate walking around on my own... My boyfriend offers to walk around but he just doesn't get me motivated or pumped to go walking around. I think it's because of my mood swings and sometimes I get mad at him for trying which is not fair to him.

I don't live alone, we live with my parents, so we have no say in what food is NOT brought into the house, we can ask for certain kinds of foods but they are always bringing junk food and foods that MIGHT be hindering my weight loss and we don't even know it.

I need help losing weight, are there any exercises for PCOS women that are really easy to do? I can't do sit ups or push ups because of my DDDs... They are just too heavy and I want to wait until I lose some pounds to try getting a reduction. Almost none of my family or friends understands how hard it is to lose weight when you have PCOS and I just wish I had a friend nearby to help me out... We don't even have jobs (main reason I'm holding off on a baby aside from my PCOS), so we can't go to the gym either...

I don't know what to do and lately it's been getting hard, I've finally over come my depression for the moment but I'm afraid it will come back if I don't lose any weight... I've lost ten pounds in the past month and a half but here lately my stomach has been growling a LOT and I don't know why. Most days I'm fine and I'm okay with like 1,500 calories, other days it's like it's screaming at me to feed it... Help?

Replies

• Bethie8585
    Options
    Hello there :)

Staying motivated is the hardest part and trust me I fight the same battle you are :)

Do you have a smart phone? For me downloading a Walking App that mapped where my fiance and I were walking to, the pace and the distance really helped keep me motivated. I had a goal I could physically look at instead of just pavement. There's also an alarm that you can set for which ever time is best for you :)

Another thing that helped for me is to figure out which food made me feel crappy. After months of feeling bloated, heavy and just miserable I realized it was gluten that caused me to feel like this. So I stopped eating gluten and feel 110% better. It's a pain in the butt at times (especially going out to eat) but everytime theres a piece of bread infront of me I just tell myself it's not worth the agony :)

I know its hard but just do baby steps and figure out what works for you and you'll be pleasantly surprised :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I also have issues with gluten and if I cut it out, I feel better. Also because of the PCOS im insulin resistant so it helps if I keep my carbs low. Not only do I feel better, but im not so bloated, my Metformin doesn't give me issues and I can lose some weight.

but...im struggling at the moment with the carbs as its cold, been a long winter and they are a comfort food for me. I gotta buckle down again.

there are MANY apps out there for walking and/or jogging. the Walking app that Bethie mentioned is good. Zombies, Run! also has a few apps that are great for motivation for walking. The Zombies, Run! both seasons one and two can be done walking only if you turn off the chases and the storyline is very engaging. Its made to be used while your going for a walk, specifically for exercise. They also have an app called The Walk that is more of a pedometer that has a wonderful story with objectives but is supposed to be used all day and then you listen to the story at night. There are apps that have you walking around Lord of the Rings areas, apps that you can walk across England or other places. Just find what motivates you and use it.

We geocache so we often park away from our geocache and walk to it and back, helps with the exercise and gives you a reward too :) Weight lifting has been shown to help PCOS more than cardio, as far as fat loss. So maybe incorporate that into your routine.

Like Bethie said, take it one day at a time, find out what works for you. Tweak your diet and your exercise routine. Its a lifestyle change not a diet so there is no quick fix, just patience and persistence.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Upon viewing what you have been eating in your food diary.......and let me first say I am not passing judgment......with that being said one of the reasons why you may be having issues with hunger is the low amount of protein you are getting. Most days I see you are under 50. our body uses protein to one repair, two to stabilize blood sugar, and also in a number of other processes in the body.

Exercise.....well speaking as someone who felt they couldn't do much.......I got an exercise ball and some hand weights (you could use cans for this instead) and did a number of exercises on this that I could not do in traditional ways. Ie situps......they are much easier to do on a ball than from the floor. Also you can do chest press on the ball as well (which has actually helped me in the chest area, I use to be a tripple d, now a DD. (chest press helped build muscle in the area and lift my breasts as well.)

Motivation.................well I understand how hard motivation can be, however, the truth is this factor affects us all. Some use outside forces as motivators others use rewards as motivators. Some even put pictures of things they will get once they hit their first small goal in a place where they see it everyday......for some this is a reminder of hey if I hit this goal that I will reward myself with xyz.......my suggestion with rewards is not to make it about food, make it about something else....ie after I lose 10 pounds I will treat myself to a new pair of shoes or a message (whatever you might like)
  • KittiePerry
    Options
    Thank you for all of the advice, I had no idea that I might not be getting enough protein, I figured out yesterday that I might not be getting enough iron either and that can make me sleepy which I have a nasty habit of getting tired for no reason at all. I do not have a smart phone or anything but hopefully I will be getting one this year so I can download the zombie app, my friend has it and I've been curious about it. As for the reward process, I don't have any money to reward myself with anything really so I don't know how to motivate myself there. I mean, I know that I am going to be able to buy nicer clothes when I lose weight but that's such a long time from now aside from a new pair of jeans. I can't even afford an exercise ball. I've been trying to walk around and use my cardiofit lifestyler machine but I can't do more than 5 minutes at a time and my body just doesn't seem to get used to it even after about a week or more of using it. I do it like 1-4 times a day and then I just kind of gave up which I know is bad.

And don't worry about giving me critiques on the food I eat, I'm VERY new to trying to watch what I eat and to know how much of what I need. I've always had someone cook for me (I'm spoiled) and I'm trying very hard to get out of that mindset which I must say I'm doing very well :) I much more active than I used to be and I'm doing things for myself a lot more often.
  • truddy6647
    Options
    if you would like a change in exercise you could try walking around (or power walking) around a mall, best part about this is that you can do this when it is cold or hot as they have heat an air. Plus you don't need money to do this either. We did this last weekend.

Also if you look on free cycle you maybe able to find some more exercise items such as an exercise ball or even hand weights.
  • pennyp00
    pennyp00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I understand the extreme exhaustion you feel as I am anemic on top of the pcos. I also have ddds
    What I've tried to do is start small enough so that I can stay consistent. I am doing wall pushups and standing crunches. I have to really make myself do this. I also try to walk 10 min at a time plus I have a pedometer on me do that I won't sit too long. You will start to feel better if you are consistent. I try to add one more or two more a week. The food is the hardest part I've always been told to go low carb and I know it works. It makes me have even less energy when I eat that way but it's worth a try to cut back on the carbs. Good luck and know that you aren't alone.
  • KittiePerry
    Options
    I don't think I'm having too much trouble with my food, I mean sometimes I go over in some of my categories but I'm usually below my goals. As for exercising I can't walk to the mall because the closest one is over 2 miles away and I cannot walk that far, plus the city I live in isn't the best to go walking that far even with one other person with me. I have to walk around my block, I don't have money to get an exercise ball... I'm going to try walking around the block once or twice every time my boyfriend smokes, so I'd be going out like 3-4 times a day which is still a lot more moving than I do now. It's just hard getting myself motivated to go out and do it.
  • truddy6647
    Options
    freecycle does not cost money it is free things that people r giving away
  • KittiePerry
    Options
    I couldn't find anything but shirts =/
  • truddy6647
    Options
    keep looking things change all the time on there.....also sometimes craigs list has free things plus you can post on freecycle what you are looking for and someone may contact you with things they no longer want or need
  • KittiePerry
    Options
    I will make sure to go look :)
    Thank you!