Natural Hair, Natural Health

Options
Finayoung
Finayoung Posts: 38 Member
:heart: Hey There,
I'm so glad you decided to join this group. I thought my journey to go natural was easy but it is anything but that! It takes lots of hard work and I've found that it goes hand in hand with not only keeping our natural hair healthy, but keeping our bodies healthy too. I decided to go natural October 2013 and I can clearly see that drinking lots of water and taking care of my body, what I consume and working out really inspired my hair to grow happy and healthy.

Share your experiences
What your goal weight and length is
And anything else! Let's inspire each other!

Replies

• shoats213
    shoats213 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just got started on fitness pal and been natural for over a year . This is my second time of the natural hair thing. So we will see! Trying to drink more water add some fruit and veg. to my water this week.

Darlene
  • hippechickie
    hippechickie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Let me introduce myself. I am living in Missouri. Originally from Chicago. As an adult I was totally natural from 2001 until 2012 . I got a Keratin Conditioner in 2012 and I still have it. I started using the Kertain because my hair's ends were breaking. Dryness. The Keratin has made it stronger. I do plan to go back totally natural. I feel my hair was so much easier to style. Plus I really do not like the straight, European looking hair.
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am Ev from VA. I started my transition almost exactly 10 years ago,I have been natural 9+ years. I have worked out for many years but my eating habits have been less than stellar so, now my focus is on eating healthier. I am glad to be a part of this group :)
  • krystal0927
    Options
    Heyyyy!!! I'm Krystal from Toronto! I officially became naturalista last summer. I use to perm my hair then I allowed my hair to grow
    until I felt comfortable to chop off the permed hair. It was great. Sometimes I wear it straight too. Lately I've been telling myself that I want to try my best to go without heat! This is truly a journey for me with experimenting, trial and error...which is the key to maintaining our hair. I'm always reading about natural hair. I love it! Also I'm happy to be apart of this group =)
  • crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi All...My name is Tracy from Texas and I decided to go "natural" June 2012. I had been getting relaxers since I was 17 and I was 40 at the time. The original goal was to stop with the relaxers and start letting my hair grow and begin to slowly cut off the relaxed hair. That lasted about a month until I couldn't take dealing with 2 types of hair. I called Derek my hairdresser and told him I was ready to go for it.

So he chopped it all off and I had about an 1 1/2 inches left. Well to keep me from going into a panic he suggested a texturizer until my hair began to grow and the natural curl began to show. Nearly 2 years later, I found that i love the fact that with this short hair, it is about as low maintainence as I can be. I love the fact that I can just rinse my hair and go. Eventually I may have to patience to let it grow longer, we'll see.

My weight goal is to lose 90lbs. I'm so glad I was invited to be part of this group.
  • bridgegetsfit
    bridgegetsfit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Bridget from NJ.This is my third attempt going natural.The other two attempts were during summer '12 and '13 I usually get a perm during the winter after a few bad hair days. Im afraid to chop off all the permed parts so Im slowly transitioning. My goal is to lose about 50 lbs. But i keep hitting a plateau and then regressing.
  • MissDwood
    MissDwood Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hey yall!!! Sorry for the late reply!! I am Danielle from Houston, Texas. I accidentally went natural in April of 2011 because I was getting weave so frequently my beautician told me I either needed a perm or to cut it. Since then I have grown to love my natural 4b/c hair which can sometimes be a headache and leaves me watching youtube videos all night just so i can decide what to do with it. I still do wear protective styles because I like to switch it up. Currently trying to lose 83 pounds!
  • Noninie
    Noninie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Nonie from Olathe Ks. My last relaxer was in April of last year then somehow just decided not to relax anymore and try out the natural hair thing. At first was really scared and kept my hair in braids then finally in August of last year finally got fed up of my two textures and big chopped myself with a spray bottle and a pair of scissors in my bathroom. Natural hair to me has been so freeing in my weight loss journey. I don't have to worry bout sweating out a style. It is a lot of work maintaining it but not as much as when my hair was relaxed. For me my natural hair journey is the third best thing to have happened to me in 2013 after my graduation and my fitness journey.
  • Nette117
    Nette117 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Jeanette from Cleveland, Oh now residing in Nashville,TN. I've been natural for just over 2 years now and Love that my hair is growing so quickly and much healthier. I'm still learning a lot about my hair and myself since going natural. I've decided its time to lose the 30 lbs I've been holding onto since I had my son in 07. I'm open to friend requests on here and fitbit if anyone has one. //www.fitbit.com/user/2FXK6K Good luck ladies on your journeys!