Squat help with hip joint

Options
So for some squats when I go down my right hip joint hurts like I went down more on my right or I push myself up more from that side. I'm trying to fix it, but I don't know because it still happens. I'm thinking I need to put mor support on my knees. Please give me some tips on this :)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what to do to be honest...

but I will bump this so you can get some answers...:happy:
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Where in the hip are you getting the pain.? Also if you can post a vid of you squatting I can have a look see if there is any obvious form issues :smile:
  • cece_lily
    cece_lily Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem, I also get pain in my right hip, and I'm struggling to tell if it's the muscle or joint. When it happened the first time, I found it got better when I made sure that my stance wasn't too wide when squatting, and I dropped the weight on the bar down to make sure my form was completely correct. I also made sure to stretch more thoroughly (I used some of the stretches from something called 'agile 8' - look it up). I just started getting it again today, but I recently had to take a break because of injury and I think I've overdone it by going too heavy too soon, so back to lower weights, form checking and stretching I go!
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in the same boat. PT told me to take a week off of doing squats as he suspects that it's a micro tear (since the pain persists long after the squats are done, even into the next day). :(
  • luce3003
    luce3003 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem too in my right hip - felt really tight almost like it was cramping. Although this was after I'd got home from the gym rather than while I was squatting.

Although thinking I may have upped the weight too high too fast on my squats so may bring it back down a little and try to focus on form - I get carried away sometimes! :blushing:

xxx
  • girlie100
    Options
    When you take a wide stance on the squat you are working off your adductor and psoas on your inner thigh and hip joint. These are the muscles that get strained in a groin strain injury.

Bringing your stance closer will use more quad on the drive and recruit less of the adductor. I'm no dr so if the pain is bad get it checked out, if its a niggling strain then make sure you are warming up all the muscles around the hip capsule and post up a vid if you want your form checked :bigsmile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When you take a wide stance on the squat you are working off your adductor and psoas on your inner thigh and hip joint. These are the muscles that get strained in a groin strain injury

I definately agree with this. I personally take a wide stance as it is more comfortable after a groin pull (a pretty bad one that still bothers me sometimes after 4m) As well it does strengthen those muscle which is what I need atm..

But the close stance definately works the outer part of the leg.

There is a great article posted on ETP group about stance when squatting I will see if I can find it.

ETA:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1185582-why-people-have-to-squat-differently
  • Jady777
    Jady777 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! I did my squats today closer, not with a wide stance as I was doing prior and did not get that pain. So that definitely helped! :)))

Another thing though is my knees, they stay and feel sort of swollen through out the day, but i know i have bad knees because with any exercise it's the same... :/ There's really nothing I can do about that right? Just hope my knees don't go bad right?
  • girlie100
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! I did my squats today closer, not with a wide stance as I was doing prior and did not get that pain. So that definitely helped! :)))

Another thing though is my knees, they stay and feel sort of swollen through out the day, but i know i have bad knees because with any exercise it's the same... :/ There's really nothing I can do about that right? Just hope my knees don't go bad right?

Get your knees checked by a dr, something is causing the inflammation in that area.